Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hi Jennifer,

When you go in the day of surgery they don't even weigh you. I think they want to see if you're really serious and commited pre-op & you did really good.

I only lost 16 lbs. of the 20 he wanted. I start my pre-op diet Tue. So I too have been suffering the "Last Supper" syndrome but not too bad. I don't want to blow it the next 2 weeks?? Wish me luck!!

Carol D'

Jennifer,

Definitely don't cancel your surgery. Try to just finish up the week with the shakes and meal at night. You could skip the meal and just go full force with the shakes if that's easier. I know how hard it is. I ate a a lot of things I shouldn't have before I went on the the pre op diet.

If you just do the shakes you will probably lose at least 3-5 lbs before Wed. Also make sure you drink your Water. I have been using the 2 cups of greens (lettuce) pretty liberally as well as the 1 cup of peppers and cuckes with Paul Newman's diet dressing. It helps fill me up.

Hang in there. Just a few more days. Then we are on complete liquid! Do you have someone to support you at home?

Lilytime

I figure I will spend the next 3 days on Protein Shakes and clear fluids. Think that will help??

J:

I am sure that will help, though you should probably eat some roughage. Can you do a romaine, green pepper, cucumber salad with 4 oz cut up chicken at night? It is very filling. You can also call me if you want I can send you my number. I think sometimes it's easier if you have a buddy. My husband and 4 year old are active participants in this. My son (the 4 yr old) likes to make my shakes for me.

Anyhoo, if you need support I am here!!!!

Figure we should get to know each othe rconsidering we both have Dr. R and will be at his mercy on the same day. Can we request to room together in recovery? :cursing:

L

Thanks for the support ladies! I am going to try going the straight liquid route. Lily, I meant to tell you that I drink the Carnation Instant Breakfast (non-sugar) and Unjury Protein Shakes. I actually really like the Unjury. It has 20 grams Protein and actually really fills me up. My problem is mental... and like Carol said, I seem to have a case of "last supper" syndrome. BUT I am going to stay on track until Wednesday.

Blue, how is your couch25k going?

Hi Paige,

The Couch 2 5k is going pretty well. I am surprised that I have finished all of the runs so far. You are supposed to do it 3 days a week but I do it 4. The reason for the extra day is because I have NEVER been able to sustain any type of running distance in my life. Could never run the mile in gym class etc. So, I am hoping that the extra day helps me out some. I just finished week 4 and am going to be starting week 5 tomorrow. From what I have read, week 5 is one of the tougher ones to conquer. It goes something like this:

Day 1

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

• Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)

Day 2

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

• Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
  • Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)

Day 3

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking.

So, obviously Day 3 is what worries me the most as it jumps right in to running for approximately 2 miles :thumbup:! But, the way I look at is "Whatever Doesn't kill me can only make me Stronger!"

I am on pace to finish the program around the first week in July. So, I committed to running the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 5k in September with my wife, sister-in-law(s) and cousins. So, it should be interesting.

As far as everything else, the weight loss has been steady so far. I think it is a byproduct of th Couch 2 5k as well as going to th gym for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at last 4 times a week. Heading back to see Dr. R on 6/14 and hope that the "Official" scale doesn't let me down.

How is everyone else doing? Keep it up everyone!

I figure I will spend the next 3 days on Protein shakes and clear fluids. Think that will help??

Hi Jennifer,:rolleyes:

Tomorrow will be over before you know it. :angry: The first thing they do is give you something to relax you. :confused: I'll be thinking of you and say a prayer tonight and tomorrow. Let us know how it goes when you get home:wink2:.

Good Luck and God Bless You,

CarolD

Hi Paige,

The Couch 2 5k is going pretty well. I am surprised that I have finished all of the runs so far. You are supposed to do it 3 days a week but I do it 4. The reason for the extra day is because I have NEVER been able to sustain any type of running distance in my life. Could never run the mile in gym class etc. So, I am hoping that the extra day helps me out some. I just finished week 4 and am going to be starting week 5 tomorrow. From what I have read, week 5 is one of the tougher ones to conquer. It goes something like this:

But, the way I look at is "Whatever Doesn't kill me can only make me Stronger!"

I am on pace to finish the program around the first week in July. So, I committed to running the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 5k in September with my wife, sister-in-law(s) and cousins. So, it should be interesting.

As far as everything else, the weight loss has been steady so far. I think it is a byproduct of th Couch 2 5k as well as going to th gym for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at last 4 times a week. Heading back to see Dr. R on 6/14 and hope that the "Official" scale doesn't let me down.

How is everyone else doing? Keep it up everyone!

SO PROUD of you!!!!! Awesome work. I'm impressed. I think having a concrete goal, with a date--as the 5K--was a huge help for me. It made me feel as if it was something I could achieve, even if the scale didn't always go my way. Don't push yourself too hard. If week 5 is rough and you aren't able to do it exactly as you're supposed to, just repeat week 5. Have you found the Music for the IPods online for it? I couldn't stand the people talking, but I know others enjoy it.

Keep plugging away. Even if the scale "lets you down", you're making remarkable behavioral changes--measurable and impressive! Focus on the things you can control, not those that you can't, and you'll be pleased with the results.

I'm on vacation--brought my workout clothes and sneakers, which take up a lot of space--and haven't used them yet. My friends are all headed home today, though, so considering maybe working out later this afternoon and tomorrow. I know I didn't waste precious luggage space to NOT use them!

Hope your surgery went well, Jennifer! Lilytime, great advice for her regarding the pre-op diet. Haven't had access to my computer in a few days. Hope you guys have a good experience today! Keep us posted.

Tiny, how was your trip???

Hey, Jennifer---sounds like your day is coming soon! The Faulkner is just down the road from the Brigham--in fact, if you drove on the Arborway toward Forest Hills, then bear right at the first rotary toward West Roxbury (it's labeled) it's right there....near the Allandale Farm.

Good luck with your surgery. Hope all goes as planned. :rolleyes:

Anyone going to the next meeting at the Faulkner? Jay, how was your meeting with Phyllis? Did you GO??? :angry:

Blue, how is your couch25k going?

Hi Guys!

I plan on attend the next Faulkner Meeting. I missed the BWH one so I'm feeling a bit lonely support wise.

Hope everyone is doing well :confused:

I hope surgery went well today for those who had it!

I'm doing alright, had my super scary meeting with Dr. R. and Phyllis. Phyllis was great, Dr. R. was a little stern and the person who weighs you was a little rude. But I have my fill and every few days get that piece of food that moves slowly through the band (only brought up food once since the fill) that reminds you "Hey... slow down fatty.." yes my band and I talk and he's not always kind to me, but i'm not always kind to him. It works for us. or it will soon.

Haven't weighed myself since the appointment because I'm making small victories: getting all my Water in each day, eating less, and going to the gym when I can and not talking myself out of it. I don't want to be on the scale because I don't want lack of scale movement to demotivate me. Going back to seeing Dr. R. in a month so i'll weigh in then or the next faulkner meeting.

Anyone know when that faulkner meeting is? 14th Maybe?

Glad your feeling better Jay.

I have a question for the BWH banders. Has anyone dealt with a person named Jennifer Johnson? Is she always rude or could I have done something to piss her off? I'm seriously thinking about speaking to her manager about her attitude problem.

I called Jennifer last Thu and left a message. I had been billed again for the $550 fee that I paid in Jan. I called back Fri. to leave my cell # because I was leaving for the weekend at 11am. She called me back and said. "I SAID, I'd get back to you in 24 hours." I didn't want to worry the long weekend to here from her???? She probably never even heard the updated phone #. Anyway she found the payment info and it was her error but snapped at me.

I quess you have to be a Bi--- to be the billing person:scared2:

CarolD

hey all.

sorry I havent been around...I too have been away on a mini vacation to the west coast. Before I left I had an unfill bc I was struggling with keeping some (and I mean only some) hard Proteins down. I was hoping to just have the .2 I had put in a few weeks prior taken out. Well Im not so sure I didnt have more taken out bc I was able to eat quite a bit while I was away. Heck I even ate 1/2 a bagel..something I hadnt done in years. Ugh the last thing I want is to have to go back...again! :biggrin:

Good thing those Californians like to keep fit as I walked almost every day.

To those just having surgery best of luck and feel free to ask questions.

Blue I am SUPER impressed with your C25K program!

Jay Im sure you survived your scary meetings intact and for the better. :wink2:

Notateech, Im sure we will catch up when you are back on the mainland.

Tova how are you doing?

I know many of the staff at B/W... give them a chance they are just doing their jobs. Keep in mind we have some of the BEST medical care in the US!! My advice keep all your receipts especially from office visits. There isnt anything that cant be worked out.

~Tiny

P.S. out in CA they have billboard ads for lapband surgery

Yay, Jay!!! Your attitude (if you're being honest!) has already changed. I'm so pleased to see you working on the things you can control. As far as the rudeness, I've never had that experience, but I've never asked for a last name, either. I know I deal with a Jennifer at Dr. R's office, but I'm fairly confident she's on maternity leave. The woman who has taken my calls since then has been super pleasant and responsive. I'm so sorry that's been your experience. I'd wait til I had surgery and then complain. Wouldn't want any revenge from her!!!

Just back from the gym. Best 5 miles on a treadmill in over a year. Starting to think it was in kilometers, not miles. :biggrin:

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I had my surgery Wednesday afternoon and was discharged yesterday. I guess I have to go for an MRI on Wednesday though because when they did the surgery, Dr. R saw leasions on my liver??? He says its probably nothing, but better to be safe then sorry I suppose. Anyone else go through this? Now I am just sore! How long does this pain last for? Also, when I call his office at B&W, I usually deal with his assistant Megan who has been great. I think I had one interaction with Jennifer (and it was around being billed the $550 after I had already paid).

Lilly, I hope you made out good with your surgery also and got to go home. It was cool running into you in the Upper GI waiting room!