Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hi Jay, It was good meeting everyone Mon at the Faulkner Group. Being my first meeting I thought the small group was really neat!!. I felt welcomed, comfortable and will be attending this group. Thanks to all. Best of luck Kathy!!:smile2:

Carol D'

Hey Everyone! I hope you are all doing well...........

Just wanted to check in and see how we were all doing and say Hi.

I am still plugging along and doing pretty good. I have been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week for about a month now. Had my 1st fill about 5 weeks ago and it went alright. The weight loss slowed down a bit. But I increased my Protein to 100-120 grams a day (per the NUT) and that seemed to kick start it a bit. So I am back on the right track. Also just started the "Couch to 5k" program and am in week 3 for that. It's kicking my butt but feels good, like I am accomplishing something.

Had my 2nd fill with Dr. R yesterday. Went with 5cc's in my 14cc band. He is pleased with my progress so far. Although, I am disappointed in the scale at his office. For the past week I had been at some really good "loss" numbers and was really excited. However, when I weighed in at his office, there was a 9 lb. swing.....in the wrong direction!

Now, I normally weigh in first thing inthe morning when I get out of the shower. I weigh in at the Dr.'s office at 4pm. So, I have to tkae into account all the Water I drank that day (average 90-100 oz. at work) and I ate lunch at 1pm. But a 9 lb. difference? Damn........

So, what do you consider your "Official" scale? Your home scale or the Doctor's office? Just curious........

Hey there, Blue.

So sorry to hear about your 9 pound swing. That's frustrating. I don't really agonize about the scale at this point, but remember well how often I did before---Phyllis was the first person to tell me it just wasn't normal to get on and off a scale 20+ times a day! (I left the scale right in the middle of the hallway and weighed myself every time I walked past....) Sure, it seems neurotic to me now, but in my desperation to lose weight, it all made sense to me at the time. :) Maybe if you weigh yourself the moment you get in from the office---to gauge the difference?

Glad to hear you're doing the Couch 2 5K program. I did one similar and ran my first 5K around a year and a half after my surgery to Celebrate 100 pounds lost. I found that I needed a specific goal and date to keep me motivated for the days that the scale wasn't working in my favor. SO glad to hear you met with the nutritionist and cleared up the Protein thing!!! Keep plugging away--and wait til your next appointment. You'll have lost those 9 pounds plus a whole lot more!!

Carol---so glad to see you found us on here! Hope you'll be at the next meeting, too!

Have a great week, everyone! :thumbup:

Hi Everyone! I will be having surgery over at Brigham & Women's on June 2nd. I started this process back in October so it is hard to believe it is now just around the corner. I see a lot of people here go to the support group over at the Faulkner- do any of you go to the one at B&W? It's probably sad to say but I am not sure I even know where Faulkner is. Hmmmm.......

Hey, Jennifer---sounds like your day is coming soon! The Faulkner is just down the road from the Brigham--in fact, if you drove on the Arborway toward Forest Hills, then bear right at the first rotary toward West Roxbury (it's labeled) it's right there....near the Allandale Farm.

Good luck with your surgery. Hope all goes as planned. :o

Anyone going to the next meeting at the Faulkner? Jay, how was your meeting with Phyllis? Did you GO??? :thumbup:

Blue, how is your couch25k going?

Hi,

I got my surgery moved up to June 16th. :o I still hope to make the meeting June 14th. My first metting was last month. Hope to see you all!!!

Carol D'

Hi,

I got my surgery moved up to June 16th. :o I still hope to make the meeting June 14th. My first metting was last month. Hope to see you all!!!

Carol D'

Congratulations, Carol! How exciting!!! Hope to see you at the meeting...

Just a few more days to go! Quick question- I know the meeting at Brighams is the 3rd Tuesday of every month... but when is the meeting at Faulkner held?

Congrats Carol on getting your date moved up!

Hi There,

I am scheduled for surgery at B&W on June 2 as well. Starting to feel nervous. A bit upset that I ate 2 oz more of salmon tonight at my "meal". It's my own fault bec/ I didn't have enough shakes today. Did anyone have to stay in the hospital for more than one night? I am also a bit scared about the general anesthesia. Any advice?

Another quick question, post surgery do they group patients that have had the same surgery in the same room?

Thanks.

Lilytime

Hi lilytime,

1 or 2 ozs. of fish won't hurt you, forget it. :ohmy: They do these operations all the time and have the equipment to deal with large people. You'll do fine and won't even remember or know what hit ya!! You are in the best hands!! This will probably save your life!!!:rolleyes: We'll be thinking of you on Wed. What time is your surgery? Hang in there. :rolleyes:

Best Wishes & Good Luck,

Carol D'

Hi Jennifer,

The Faulkner group Meets on the 2nd Monday of the Month June 14th in Suite 4420 6-7:30 pm. We'll be thinking and praying for you Wed. What time are you scheduled? It's almost here:thumbup:. You'll do GREAT!!

Carol D'

Thanks Carol. I am at 9:30 AM. :rolleyes: feeling good about it. I have lost 62 pre op pounds from August. I never thought I would get to this day....:rolleyes:

Edited by lilytime
spelling

So, I haven't been doing very well with my one "meal" a day either. I do good all day with the Protein Shakes and then just blow it at dinner. I'm thinking that I should go on a pure liquid diet starting today until I have my surgery- Just to compensate. It does seem like some people on this website didn't even have to do a pre-op diet. Should I be worried???

Lily how did you find out your surgery time already??? I was told to call the day before between 3:30pm-6:00pm to get my surgery time....

Thanks Carol for the Faulkner meeting info! :cursing:

Hey Jennifer,

That was the time that Dr. R's assistant had mentioned but yes I need to call the day before, just like you. Hmmm perhaps we will be recovering roommates...we should look for each other. :cursing: It's nice to know that you will be there too!

Evenings are very very hard. They always have been. I actually am astounded that I haven't had any carbs (except for the ones in the Protein shakes and two fruits/veggies).

The caffeine situation is difficult. What shake have you been using. The carnation instant Breakfast has been the one for me. I actually wound up ordering two cases of it on the Nestle website.

So hard to believe it is almost here. I started the journey in August and I remember when he told me how much weight I needed to lose I wanted to cry. I was thinking that he would send me on my way until I lost it, but the monthly check ins were so crucial. Also so glad he required it because now I am used to eating less. Though this will still be hard.

lilytime

Lily, I also have Dr. R! How funny! He told me I had to lose 30 pounds before I could have surgery. I intially thought he was CRAZY, but now am glad to have a jump start on my weight loss journey.... Of course with that said, I have probably gained 10 pounds in the last week. As I said before, I have really screwed up with my dinner "meals". It's like I am eating more then I normally do! Maybe its the fact I won't be able to eat a lot of the things I like afterward... maybe self sabotage?

Has anyone else done horribly with the pre-op diet and lived to tell the tale? I was doing great- lost the 30 pounds and now a few days before surgery I am blowing it!!! So frustrating!!! Should I reschedule? How serious is the pre-op diet?