Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

I take Zantac as needed---I just don't want to need it!!!

I hate taking any kind of meds. I take thyroid and birth control that I'm ok with taking every day, but other than that, I don't....unless I'm dying.

Singing, I've already had my band checked for slippage twice. It's very tightly anchored. When I throw stuff back up, it's not at all like normal vomiting. I just open my mouth and it comes right up----no stomach clenching, no muscles tightened, no wretching. It's like I've put something in my mouth then spat it back out. So....I'm not sure you'd even call it vomiting, per se. It looks exactly as it did right before I ate it. LOL. Gross, but true...

Momma, good luck. Glad you waited to have it done. Hope the return to work on Monday is a good one. :eek:

hey bandsters! Been thinking about surgery all day today and I thought of a couple of questions that I didn't think to ask the ever personable Dr. R....

1. How many incisions will I probably end up with?

2. Do they weigh you the morning of surgery or no? Just curious.....

Thanks guys!

I gained 15 back now with an unfill of 1 1/2 cc. I am eagerly waiting for tomorrow to get a fill - havent had one since January - when I had the unfill. I am looking forward tohaving restriction again and getting rid of the extra weight - now that I feel better. I will still be taking the meds for reflux - so hopefully that will stay calm.

I look at meds for reflux as a necessary evil - I too try not to be a meds junky

Good luck, Tova! I have been losing again without trying, but I haven't been working out--and strangely enough, that's usually how I drop 8-10 pounds. Crazy, huh?! I only take Zantac when I need it and avoid all of that stuff unless I'm desperate. Hope the fill helps!

Hey, Momma---5 incisions, with the most prominent being the one where the port is placed. Mine are barely visible now and I didn't do anything special to make them heal. In fact, I can only identify 4 of them now! 3 are less than a quarter of an inch---the port incision scar is about an inch, and I can't find the other one!

You won't be weighed in on the morning of your surgery. Weigh yourself on your own scale before you go for your own consistency. You won't be weighed again until your post-surgical follow ups in the offices....

Good luck!!

I take Zantac as needed---I just don't want to need it!!!

I hate taking any kind of meds. I take thyroid and birth control that I'm ok with taking every day, but other than that, I don't....unless I'm dying.

Singing, I've already had my band checked for slippage twice. It's very tightly anchored. When I throw stuff back up, it's not at all like normal vomiting. I just open my mouth and it comes right up----no stomach clenching, no muscles tightened, no wretching. It's like I've put something in my mouth then spat it back out. So....I'm not sure you'd even call it vomiting, per se. It looks exactly as it did right before I ate it. LOL. Gross, but true...

Momma, good luck. Glad you waited to have it done. Hope the return to work on Monday is a good one. :wink:

see even Tova said to try the prilosec....its NOT the same as Zantac...ask Dr R. I had a bout of heartburn and it went away after a week or two of the prilosec and me being VERY careful and not PBing..that meant some days of eating mashed pototoes but I got rid if it. Also if I ever have a bout of bad pbing or when I was too tight I used the prilosec to protect my belly. I wont harp on it anymore I swear.

I havent been on the scale in WEEKS. :eek: Who knows what I weight now. I made an appt for in a few weeks for a fill. Been unfilled since Dec when I had to have 2 unfills in as many weeks. I know I can only tolerate a tiny fill bc Ive been filled/unfilled 2x at this level.

I am ready to get serious and ON my plan again and I hope my darn knee heals so I can work out like I used to

Hey, I'm sorry, Tiny. Didn't mean to discount your opinion about the Prilosec--but it's still medication. It isn't that I don't believe you--I don't want to take anything at all....so I'd rather have an unfill. I'm curious to see what Dr. R says to me tomorrow---I've been much more filled in the past without issues, but have been on and off of birth control in the past few months and think it might be affecting my digestion.....we'll see. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon if anyone else is at the Faulkner! :eek:

How are you guys doing? Jay, you've been quite quiet! Blue, how about you???

Hey Teech! I am actually doing pretty good. I had a fill with Dr. R on 4/12, so I am trying that out to see how it goes. I have to head back on 5/16 for a follow-up and probably another fill.

Just joined Planet Fitness in Dedham as I can resume physical activity again now that i am 6 weeks Post-Op. So, I am trying to go 3-4 times a week.

I think that my weight loss has slowed down a little bit. Not sure if it'smy diet or not. I am trying to keep my caloric intake to 1200-1500 a day or so. I emailed Phyllis to find out what I might be doing wrong but she never emails me back. I think it is because I have lowered my Protein with my newer diet. I think I should aim for 75-100 grams per day but my wife disagrees and says it should be 50-60. So, i am trying to find the root cause...........Any advice from people would be much appreciated.

Take Care Everyone!

Good to hear from you, Blue! Don't be surprised by the slowing of weight loss. That's typical, but don't hesitate to make an appointment to meet with Phyllis--in fact, if you're working out, your Protein intake should increase and is based on your weight---so your estimate is likely far more accurate than your wife's. When I'm working out consistently, I need between 100-120 grams of protein a day. You might consider making a quick appointment to see Phyllis on the same day you head in for your next fill.

I went in for my unfill. Dr. R. never seems to understand WHY I'm having issues with my fill at THIS level because I've been far more filled before. But, what always floors me is his complete inability to look at me when he speaks! I realize that he likely won't recognize me from one appointment from the next, but chances might be better if he looks at ME, not my feet!!! He once again asked me about how my plastic surgery went. (While feeling for my port to do the unfill) I swear it's just like when I worked at the supermarket---he asks out of routine, the same way I asked "paper or plastic" but didn't realize I asked....He's just so odd!! I'm just happy to be less filled!

Here's hoping that this is what I need...... :thumbup:

I'm doing ok, i'm ready to get back on plan and start going to the gym and making small changes slowly. But.... I have this cold that is slowly going away just not as quickly as I'd like, that makes me cough every few minutes so the one time I tried to go to the gym with it, I coughed a ton and couldn't really do anything, so I'm on the bench until it dissipates enough for me to go back.

Until then I'm focusing on trying to make sure I get all my Water in and enough Protein. I dropped a good deal of my summer classes so i can focus on getting everything in gear, hopefully it will pay off.

Well people...it's official...I'm a bandster! I am sitting here in my bed at the Brigham....I have 6 incisions...but the port one and one on the right side hurt the most. Gotta say that last night was painful, but thank god for the pain pump! Managed to sleep here and there. I feel better today.....and it's only 6am! Getting a weeee bit sick of ice chips but hey....they do sure feel good. I just wanted to say thanks to all who have answered so many of my questions and gave me advice!

Holly

PS...now to name my band....I don't know why....I think "it" should have a name....Raul? LOL

OH, you'll give it a name alright.... :redface: Wait til your first PB or sliming. It'll come to you.

Glad you're ok...but you really should try to sleep now--when you're alone and don't have kids to worry about, while you have people paid to wait on you and a pain pump at your disposal. You must be headed for your barium swallow/upper GI thing soon, right? Did they just do morning rounds? I remember so little from my hospital experience now (because it's been over 2 years...) but I do remember the morning rounds and tons of people being in my room. I wanted so badly to be wearing a bra and wanted my mascara. I must have been feeling better at that point because I actually CARED what people thought of me. LOL.

Hope your morning is uneventful and that you get home safely. Get some rest while you're still able. The next few days/nights might be tough. :thumbup:

Hey! The docs just left the room telling me of the upper gi, etc....how funny. I have been resting a bunch, but as you know...it's a revolving door around here. I kept getting woken up by someone wanting to take my vitals, give me meds, etc...And everytime I push my friend the pain pump....I nod off! So far, so good. The doc said the incision on my right hurts more because that is where the liver retractor was....ahhh...lovely.

The kids are in school today and tomorrow...thank God! And....since the weekend will be so nice, my husband has lots of outside plans for them....I'll keep ya posted...but I am getting sleepy again cuz I just pushed my pain pump! LOL

It's done and you're doing just fine!

Rest rest rest and grasp that pain pump, gal...eventually you will be going home. Ask for some liquid pain meds to take home for security(although you won't need very much of it). It seems like things went very well. Congrats.

Hey guys....I am home (as of late aft. yesterday).....It wasn't a bad experience at all...But man, my stomach muscles (or lack there of) kill! I feel better up and about rather than down. Not sure why...I guess I need to change my signature now...and maybe add a ticker! :smile: