Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise for Very Overweight Bandsters

At 473lbs starting weight, with a target weight of about 200 lbs, I got wrapped into the band process in late February. With the preop liquid diet, and banding on 3/6, I've now lost 38 pounds; things are going in the right direction.

But what to do about exercise? I know I have to start slowly, so I'm starting by walking the mile to and from work every day, but at my size, I'm too big for almost all gym equipment, most of which has a 350 lb upper weight limit for use.

I'm wondering what the 200 lb+ goal bandsters and future bandsters are doing for exercise. Anyone have any tips?

You might laugh at me, but Richard Simmons has some good low impact videos. He's a little annoying, but I do love his sweatin' to the oldies. They are done by people of all degrees of weight, so you don't have to be skinny to do them.

You might laugh at me, but Richard Simmons has some good low impact videos. He's a little annoying, but I do love his sweatin' to the oldies. They are done by people of all degrees of weight, so you don't have to be skinny to do them.

I just started doing these, and Suzanne...you are SO RIGHT. They are a great way to get some cardio at any weight. My issue is pure embarassment, I don't want to leave the house and go to the track at my current weight (not because of the way I look, but because of how I look walking around a track...Yes, self-esteem issues BIG TIME). So, after hearing a couple people sing the praises of Sweatin to the Oldies, I got a copy online.

Good, good stuff!!

You can also try Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds. It's really great for anyone, as the movements are all easily performed, and if not, you can always just march in place along with the music. I have a friend who is around 375, and she can do this, and enjoys it.

This would be something you can do no matter what the weather is doing outside. I find them very helpful because there are about 3 months out of the year where it's nice enough outside to get out and exercise outside. The rest of the time it's either freezing cold, or scorching hot.

Good luck!

i remember when i was a kid i used to watch jack lalanne on tv. he used to say all you need to exercise is a chair and be imaginative. he would hold on to the chairs back with one hand or two and to leg lifts, deep knee bends etc. then he would sit on the chair and make up other things to do.

Ive heard that swimming is a good exercise for anyone. I personally do not have access to a pool. Good old fashioned walking like you are already doing. Ive also done the Richard Simmons "Sweating To The Oldies" is good exercice. I lost 80 pounds, years ago exercising to his tapes and starving myself. I need to dust those off myself and start sweating. Good Luck

I found a local gym that has a heated pool. And I LOVE IT!! :wink:

The local rec center had way too many kids. The gym members have been very gracious and supportive. I go in the evening after 8P and swim laps for 1.5 hours also include 15 min of lunges and squats to strengthen my legs. Many times in the evening I have the pool to myself. It is so nice.

I started at 360 lbs. I've been swimming for 3 weeks now, 5 days a week, and am down into the 340's. Lost about 13 lbs so far. Feels great

My legs feel stronger.

If you are considering joining a gym, make sure it is close to you or on your way home from work so you are more apt to use it. If it is out of your way, odds are you won't go as much. Take a tour. Make sure it is club that you are comfortable with. And a pool is excellent exercise.

Cherlita

down 40+ lbs

At 473lbs starting weight, with a target weight of about 200 lbs, I got wrapped into the band process in late February. With the preop liquid diet, and banding on 3/6, I've now lost 38 pounds; things are going in the right direction.

But what to do about exercise? I know I have to start slowly, so I'm starting by walking the mile to and from work every day, but at my size, I'm too big for almost all gym equipment, most of which has a 350 lb upper weight limit for use.

I'm wondering what the 200 lb+ goal bandsters and future bandsters are doing for exercise. Anyone have any tips?

I started with a goal of 200lbs that's now closer to 210lbs. I started at 382 lbs and currently have about 45 lbs to goal. Even at my high the equipment wasn't an issue, I never had problems fitting or getting it to work properly.

If you can't fit on the equipment, or aren't comfortable doing it in public, I would suggest a pool. I would also suggest exercising outside of a gym, e.g. walking trails, most highschools keep the track around their football fields open to the public, even just free weights for your around-the-house stuff. Any time you're sedintary is an opportunity to be active -- leg lifts during commercials, grips during book time, etc. It's not much, but you're going to have a really high BMR so any little bit helps that much more.

Eek! I think at my weight I'd bee too embarassed to swim in public!

I've picked up the Leslie Sansone DVD, and will give that a try. In the next week or two, it'll be warm enough in NYC to walk comfortably to and from work, which will be good for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

A few thoughts.

Maybe an aquarobics class. Most of the people in the class will be obese or geriatric, or a combination of the two, so who cares? :wink: My parents' neighborhood rents their pool out to bring extra money in to the Homeowner's Association -- $10 an hour. A reasonable rate for good exercise that's private. Any chance an endless pool is feasible? That would be a great investment, and they're deep enough to do some resistance work. I'd get one if we had the space. *sigh*

Aquasize or deep Water running is amazing exercise when you are really big. The one place in the world where I have been as graceful (or more so) than everyone else was in the water. I went for about 6-7 months about 10 years ago when I was recovering from back surgery and it was great. It increased my mobility, balance and strength. If you don't like showing too much of your body, you can cover up with a big t-shirt.

Fenton,

I would concentrate mostly on cardio exercise at this point. That is what is most important. Walk on the treadmill or in the swimming pool. You might get someone at the gym to show you how to use free weights instead of the machines. Working out with free weights actually is better for you anyhow. You don't have to start out with much weight. There are certain exercises for certain muscle groups. Maybe on Monday you can workout your back, chest and abs. The next time work out your biceps, triceps and shoulders.

Don't work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row because you need healing time. Legs can be worked out doing squats either alone or holding weights at your side. Any one who works at the gym should be able to show you what to do. Best of luck.

PS.

I USED to be in great shape....my best friend was a body builder. I'll never be a body builder but I'll be back in great shape again.....soon.

Janet:wub:

Fenton,

Are you talking about an actual gym like a fitness center or a home gym? The equipment at the gym I goto is very stable and could easily hold more than 350#.

I know what you mean about this weight limit. How can every piece of equipment out there have the same maximum weight? I was trying to buy a bike recently and became very depressed by it all. Weight limit? WEIGHT LIMIT?!

Yeah - all the cardio machines - the treadmills, the eliptical trainers etc - seem to have a 350 lb weight limit.

I had no idea that bikes did, though!

I'll see how I do with my Leslie Sansone DVD, but obviously a gym is in my future.

Fenton;

Just the walking 1 mile each way to work every day you are already getting some excercise. Try walking at a faster pace to increase the intensity and also varying the route you take to go further. Few things are as good for you as walking and carrying your weight it is already at a high intensity. I always used to tell people they should try filling a duffel bag with 150-200 lbs of sand and carrying it and that was what I did for excercise. You are stronger than you know but will find this out as the weight comes down!

Rick