Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise for Very Overweight Bandsters

Hey, Rick - thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep at it, and when I get down to, say, 375, will start in at the gym.

Get a few dumb bells 5 & 10 lbs. Do some curls while you're watching TV. OR

How about a personal trainer. I had one a few years ago and I really liked it. I'm planning on doing it again when the weather gets cool and I can't get out to walk, swim and kayak.

Just moving more then you did before is good.

Fenton:

How about dancing? It's something you can do in your own home if you're self-conscious of people watching.

Good luck. I've lost 117 pounds since last April. My primary exercise is walking. I put on my MP3 player and take off.

Take care.

Sue

I actually do have a dumbell set, but I worry that I'll somehow hold the damn things improperly, and end up tearing out all my muscles. And then I'd be sad.

But I guess that at really low weights, even poor form probably can't do that much harm.

I LOVE to dance! But I think it'd make too much noise in the downstairs apartment. As well as filling my cats with a spicy paste of shame...

Also give wall push ups a try. (then back of couch, then front of couch, then floor on knees, then military style:)

Hi - There are some great suggestions here. I am a big fan of walking because you don't to buy much to do it :huh2:

If you do want to buy a treadmill, you may want to consider buying a re-manufactured one. I got a great one with a 400 lb capacity at from horizon fitness. (Website below) I got mine for under 1/2 the price and it works like a charm. I would have bought one new, but could not afford the high capacity model new.

I started 60 lbs over that capacity and have had not problems walking 30 lbs away so far. :lol:

The good news is, as you lose, you will have even more options!

See you on the road to fitness.

Horizon PST6 Treadmill

Fenton, when you are ready for a gym, hire a personal trainer for at least one session. They will make you feel much more comfortable. They will help you use the equipment and map out an exercise plan for you to follow.

I joined Lifetime Fitness which is a fantastic place. They have two indoor pools, one lap pool and one "fun" pool. The fun pool is awesome. instead of stairs the pool is like walking into the ocean. It starts off level to the ground and gets deeper until it's at 4 feet.

I just started swimming lessons this week! I can swim but not very well. I wanted to be able to swim laps because I love the Water so much. Also it puts no pressure on your joints, which at over 300 pounds is important. There's no way I can do aerobics. I can't even stand for very long.

I was so afraid that the gym would be filled with hard bodies that would make me feel uncomfortable. I could not be any more wrong about that. There are people of all ages and sizes. I feel totally comfortable there. Even in a swimsuit.

It's not cheap, but I'm worth it. :lol:

You can also try Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds. It's really great for anyone, as the movements are all easily performed, and if not, you can always just march in place along with the music. I have a friend who is around 375, and she can do this, and enjoys it.

This would be something you can do no matter what the weather is doing outside. I find them very helpful because there are about 3 months out of the year where it's nice enough outside to get out and exercise outside. The rest of the time it's either freezing cold, or scorching hot.

Good luck!

Thank you for recommending this! I bought this DVD pack from Circuit City that has 10 different workout programs on it, but I can't keep up with them yet. I'm looking forward to trying something a little easier to start with.

If you want to try a new work out video before buying it. Netflix rents them

I have wanted to get a belly dancing one. (video) But didnt know which one would work the best for me. So I rented a few and had each one for about a week trying them. Then decided which one would work best for me.

They have so many different things it is a great place to try out videos.

I work out on the Elliptical in the gym. And lift weights.

I paid for a training session so the trainer could show me how to lift correctly and which machienes to do.

I highly sugest it.

Oh and for people who are too embarased to be seen in public in a swim suit. My personal outlook on it is. F them if they dont like what they see they can look somewhere else.

I love the pool and the Water park. NOTHING is going to keep me away from doing and going where I want to do.

Cerrin, I also do the belly dancin videos... it reeaaally works out the midsection. I recorded the Shimmy exercises on FitTV. I do em about every other day. It's really working!

I have problems working out at home. I get the videos and do tham a few times. then slack off. I need to be AT the gym.

It keeps me doing it and not sitting down.

I just wanted to let you all know that I tried one of the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" videos and I LOVED IT! FINALLY, a workout I can keep up with. It's so simple but I still felt like I was getting a good workout. I had to stop after about a mile and a half because my muscles were getting sore, which feels much better than having to stop from exhaustion!

Awsome keep up the great work!

I love having to stop because my muscles cant take any more. Instead of I cant breath.

I hear your pain Fenton. I am doing Water aerobics now at 320 pounds .. I'm not loving the bathingsuit part but I am loving the class. I am not by any means the biggest one there. Heck we have people who need their cane just to get in and out of a pool .. so if their cane dosnt stop them I surely cant let 300 pounds stop me. I am also doing some walking and am happy to report that just getting the sneakers on is no longer a work out..lol Seriously I was out of breath just doing that for a while and have all I can do to bend over and get them on. Just little bits at a time and eventually it will all come together. I get my band this Tues 9/14/2010 and am looking forward to the extra "help" in getting this weight off.