Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recipes - Violet Style!

Artichoke & Parmesan chicken

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3/4 C. Mayonnaise

3/4 C. grated parmesan cheese

1 large jar (15oz or so) marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

(I also added a couple spoonfuls of capers)

salt

pepper

garlic powder

Preheat oven to 375. Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish which has been greased or sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, papper and a little bit of garlic powder. Mix together the chopped artichoke hearts, parmesan and mayonnaise, then spread evenly on top of the chicken breasts. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Topping should be golden brown.

YUM!!!!!

Edited by TerriDoodle

Artichoke & Parmesan chicken

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3/4 C. Mayonnaise

3/4 C. grated parmesan cheese

1 large jar (15oz or so) marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

(I also added a couple spoonfuls of capers)

salt

pepper

garlic powder

Preheat oven to 375. Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish which has been greased or sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, papper and a little bit of garlic powder. Mix together the chopped artichoke hearts, parmesan and mayonnaise, then spread evenly on top of the chicken breasts. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Topping should be golden brown.

YUM!!!!!

Now that just sounds sinful!!! I'm going to make it tomorrow night for supper. Thanks!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Slow-Cooker chicken Tortilla Soup

Yields: 8 servings

------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb+ chicken breasts (I used 2+lb. bone-in, frozen)

2 cans of Rotel tomatoes & green chiles

1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

1/2 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 quart chicken broth

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 bay leaf

1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn (optional)

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

7 corn tortillas

vegetable oil

Shredded Mont Jack cheese

Lime Wedges

Avocado chunks

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.

4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.

To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over Soup.

Garnish with chopped cilantro, lime wedges, cheese and avocado.

Edited by TerriDoodle

Ok.. I don't have an official recipe, since I've been making these for 40 years. I just do it by rote. But I'll try and remember what I did when I made the last batch of 17 pasties.

Crust..

2 cups flour

1 Tsp. Salt

2/3 cup shortening

Ice Water

Mix flour, salt and 1/2 of the shortening into cornmeal size mixture. Then add the rest of the shortening and mix it into pea size mixture. Add ice Water a tablespoon at a time until it is the right "feel". Should make a moist ball. Put in fridge for at least an hour.

Pasty ingredients

5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into dice size pieces

1 pound carrots cut into dice size pieces

3 onions chopped

1 medium rutabaga cut into dice size pieces

2# beef (I use stew meat already cut up)

1# pork (same as beef... I buy it already cut up for chop suey)

(Some people use ground meat. I prefer the pieces)

Mix all these things together and set aside.

Roll out dough to the size of a salad plate. Put one cup of the mixture in the middle, add a small dab of butter, fold the dough over the meat mixture, crimp the edges, cut a breathing slit in the top. Brush on an egg wash.

Place on cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour at 350. When you take them out, cover them for about 10 minutes with a towel. Then wrap in tin foil or eat right away. These freeze well. Bob loves them cold for Breakfast... go figure!!

I have never mastered the art of making dough. :thumbup: I suck at it.

WARNING: This is strictly for pot luck or large family dinners. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT allow any leftovers in your house. You will hide in the closet with the pan until it is all gone.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package cream

cheese, softened

1 cup white sugar (I reduced to about 3/4c)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 (8 ounce) packages

refrigerated crescent rolls

1/2 cup melted butter (I reduced to about 1/3c)

1/2 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2.Beat the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth; set aside.

3.Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough, and use a rolling pin to shape each sheet into 9x13 inch rectangles. Press one sheet into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining piece of crescent dough, and brush (more like pour) with melted butter. Stir together 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle evenly over the top of the cheesecake.

4. Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. I refrigerate the leftovers, if there are any!

PS - this is especially good warm from the oven served with vanilla ice cream. They are also good cold.

Edited by TerriDoodle

I have never mastered the art of making dough. :thumbup: I suck at it.

Me either. My mom was the pie maker. But I tried this dough recipe for the first time this week and it worked fine. It's Paula Deen's pie crust recipe.

Paula Deen's pie crust recipe.

4 sticks of butter and a dash of flour? :unsure:

This stuff just disappears in my house during these hot summer months! Delicious!!!

2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped

2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

1 small red onion, chopped (optional)

12 pitted kalamata (Greek) olives, sliced

4-6 oz feta cheese, crumbled or cubed

Dressing:

1/4 c. olive oil

juice of one lemon

2 tsp. dried oregano

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Prepare all vegetables as described above. Toss with dressing. Chill and serve.

Serves 6

Edited by TerriDoodle

Sausage cups.

1 lb. Sausage crumbled cooked and drained.

1 cup of Ranch dressing

1 cup schredded cheddar cheese

Mix all together and place by Tablespoon full into Phyllo cup and bake for about 5-7 minutes.

Variations: You can use any flavor sausage, spicy is good. You can also use lite dressing or any other flavor. And you can also use any flavor of cheese. The combinations are limitless.

You can also use Wonton wrappers, just bake them before putting filling in and than bake them again. Just watch for burning on the edges.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

PS - this is especially good warm from the oven served with vanilla ice cream. They are also good cold.

My family inhaled this recipe warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream. I have never seen a new dessert dissapear so quickly, lol. I split the recipe in half and cooked it in the small pan (I was deathly afraid of leftovers, lol).

I highly recommend it as a crowd pleaser. :)

Here are some good variations of the Greek [Turkish!] salad that Heather posted in the other thread. Thanks Heather -- they all sound wonderful!! Post more recipes -- I love Mediterranean food!

Terry, We eat variations of that recipe for salad several times a week. My family is Turkish (which maybe some of you may have guessed from FB photos). Ask anyone Turkish and they will say this is Turkish salad and the Greeks will say it is Greek, lol. It is certainly the same with baklava, but that is even more of a battle.

Sometimes we use mozarella instead of feta or even forgoe the cheese. The kalamata olives are there at every meal but always on the side. Instead of oregano or black pepper we put in a dash of red pepper flakes. We usually chop up a little bit of parsley and lettuce in there as well, but very little proportionately and very finely chopped.

One variation on this salad that I absolutely love is to roast half a small eggplant in the oven with a little olive oil on the side that is cut . . . when it is nice and soft I peel it and mash it with a fork or chop it in small cubes and add it into the salad. It is really awesome this way.

I also sometimes add mashed avocado with garlic into this salad and it is kind of like a very veggie intensive version of guacamole where you get just a taste of guacamole but not quite so much fat. We had this last night with chile/lime crusted tilapia and corn on the cob . . . absolutely delicious and relatively healthy if you are careful on the ingredients.