Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hate Exercising- any suggestions?

I am getting banded on 3/28 and am dredding having to start exercising. I am very clumsy and my whole like have not found one exercise or sport that i enjoy. Anyone else gone through this?

Ashley

I hate it too but it is something that has to be done-try to find something you can tolerate-at least in the beginning-you may learn to like it or even love it-I am not there quite yet-but I always feel good after working out.

I'm with Chickie.

Maybe get a month membership at a gym and try out the various classes they have, then you're not locked into it for the long term if it doesn't work out. I definitely felt like a clumsy elephant my first little while at the gym, in fact I am still not the most co-ordinated of people, but I learnt quickly that I had to get past that "people are looking at me" mentality. Other people there are there to do what you are - exercise and get fit, they're not there to people watch (and if they are, they're freaks and need help! haha).

I didn't love running (which is my exercise of choice) straight away, but once I saw the effects it had on my body, it made me want to get out there and do it to continue the weight loss. Perhaps you might feel the same in time with something you try out. Start slow, give yourself time and you'll get there.

Good luck!

What do you like to do?

Do you like video games? or music? or maybe books? what do you like to do in your spair time.

I am getting banded on 3/28 and am dredding having to start exercising. I am very clumsy and my whole like have not found one exercise or sport that i enjoy. Anyone else gone through this?

OMG! I am so clumsy and my motto used to be "exercise? No way, sweat offends me". I have done a complete 180! I love to exercise now. I love to sweat, the more the better.

I started on the elliptical, they have lots of handles to keep you from hitting the deck. BUT what I noticed and trainer have told me is that it takes about a month before your body stops fighting against the exercise. So dont expect to like regular old exercise right away. Chickie is right try EVERYTHING a few times.

And I found out that I like sports! Who knew that there was an athlete inside of me the whole time. In fact, one of my goal rewards is going to be a week long surfing clinic where Ill learn to surf. Before that though is my midway goal reward, swim classes. I have to relearn regulation swimming.

Im even going to buy a bike. Even though I swore that after almost falling into the mighty mighty Hudson:lol: I would never ride another bike.

All of this started After banding. I wasn't motivated before and I feared that I would hurt or embarrass myself. After losing the some weight, exercising regularly, and regaining some self esteem, I am a different person. I am willing to try any sport just for the fun of trying it (even golf).

Give it time your outlook may change too.

At my gym you can tune your radio to the t.v. channels. Instead of watching your shows or listening to your music at home make it a rule you can only do it at the gym while you are working out. It makes your workout go faster and you get to enjoy your programs or music. If you don't go, you don't get to see the show that day.

Ashley

Try the pool, nothing better than a good swim.

I ordered a DVD called Shapely Secrets online. It is muscle on muscle exercise. I lost 1/2" in my hips in a week. Its only a 7 minute work out and very easy.

Hey, how about Curves?? The women there are our size and the comraderie is worth the time! AND the best thing is that it's only 24 - 30 minutes! How hard can that be?!! (I just passed 5 years there)

Julie had a good point--why not get some DVD's and work with those at home until you get your groove on!

As everyone said, once you begin to lose weight, you're going to find you'll be leaving all that clumsiness behind (my shirts have never been so clean!) and your energy level is going to skyrocket!! :grouphug:

I also hated to excercise. Luckily, we had a treadmill and I started off the 3rd day after surgery (mainly because of the gas pain in my shoulder). I walked 1 mile an hr for 2 min. I just kept doing and going a little more each day. I too feel better after excercising. Give it a try! You will get used to it!

before getting my band, i didnt even think about exercising ... my DH would drop me off at a shopping center, go park and meet me at the entrance ... i would ask him to get up off the couch that i was sitting on and get me something to eat/drink ... so exercising on purpose ... nope, didnt happen.

as soon as my surgeon cleared me, i got on a treadmill for 5 minutes, was exhausted, but next day, increased it to 7, then 9 ... i now run, go on the elliptical, step classes, you name it ... it (eventually) gives you this euphoric high...

experiment... dont let anyone (except a doctor of course) tell you that you cant do anything.... at 380/390 pounds i was doing a step class ... it kicked my rear and i didnt always step up just stepped in place, but it got me moving.

best of luck to you!

I too started slow. Slow pace on the tread mil I think my first time was maybe 10 minutes. then I increased speed and time just by a little.

I am doing the same thing now on the elliptical. But if I miss a day I feel bad about it.

But If you like video games play Dance Dance Revolution

Dancing...take a dance class

Go to the mall and windo shop

Fly a kite.

ride a bike

so swimming

Just go do something.

Heck some of my friends are going to go roller skating.