Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Habits!

I was wondering if anyone else here has the habit of eating to fast, taking large bites, and not chewing properly. I am not a slob but I am in the habit of eating fast. This does not go over well with my band. I am already too full by the time my brain tells me to stop. I feel like I have tried every trick in the book but with no sucess. I tried laying the fork down between bites. I tried setting a timer so I would take 20 minutes to eat. If anyone has any suggestions on ways to slow down and chew better I would greatly appreciate it. I cut my food into small pieces but I find that takes too long...........it all goes back to being in a hurry. That is how I live my life and it is hard to slow down even when I have nowhere to be and nothing to do. Thanks ahead of time for your support. This is a great group of people!

I made myself the designee to get up and get stuff for others at the table. So and so needs ketchup, more potatos, another napkin, whatever - I would jump up and get it. That really helped me slow down.

I also take very big bites - one of my eating pleasures is having my mouth full. There have been many times I have been beyond chewing with a big mouthful of mush, and nowhere for it to go... Sorry, I know that's gross! I haven't quite learned not to do that to myself. I have gotten up a couple of times to spit out what I had in my mouth.

Keep practising! Apparently I'll be looking for other people's ideas as well, since I obviously need help too! lol

I too have this problem, and having the Band has not stopped me.We live life in a big hury.The most gross thing I do, but it works...just not in public please..is what my husband calls my pretend eating. I put anything I want in my mouth and chew...I just don't swollow...I spit...well I told you it was gross, but it's better than throwing up I guess???MB

i did the chew spit thing with steak!!! i never thought i would waste a new york stip but i enjoyed the taste maybe it wasnt a waste. i am not at the sweet spot so i guess i'll deal with this more now that i am getting more restriction...2nd fill yesterday i am at 2.2 cc.

I am the POSTER CHILD for eating too fast and taking too-big bites. Coincidentally enough, I came to the board this evening to post about the experience I am having right now, very much related to this bad behavior.

Background: I'm prefill and don't feel like I have any restriction at all. Well, yesterday I found out that I may have to wait another 6 weeks for a fill. OK, so I figured I'd just live my life for the next few weeks, enjoying the ability to eat what I want.

Then tonight I ate a chicken thigh in my usual manner. That is to say, in huge mouthfuls that I only absentmindedly chewed. Next thing you know my band is making it PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that it's there, and that this was NOT a good idea.

I walked around my backyard and the cool air helped. Then I had a "sliming" episode and felt much better. But the chicken is still down there, somewhere, making itself felt. OUCH!!

I wanted to write about it so I'd always remember how incredibly uncomfortable I am right now. If this isn't negative reinforcement, I don't know what is. There are no little tricks that I can use to slow down and take smaller bites, but FEAR OF PAIN just might do it for me. :o

I have since had a fill and that sure put a stop to my eating fast and not chewing. I had yet to experience the vomitting I here everyone talking about until I had my second fill. I cannot eat the things I could eat pre-fill. Not saying this is such a bad thing, just hard to get used to. I could eat bread and that is a big no no now. I can say I will miss my rice (although I know I didn't need it to begin with). I cannot eat anything solid without chewing it for a long time. If I do not then it gets stuck and feels like I am having a heart attack or at least as close as I could imagine it would feel. Once you have experienced that kind of pain a few times then you learn to slow down and chew properly. I am not complaining though I love the restriction I have now....I only hope it lasts.

Thanks Alexandra.

I learned on Tuesday while nosing through my chart at my OB-GYN (yearly physical) that I had weighed in at 342lbs that last time I was there in December. I knew I had been in to see my family doctor in February (surgery in April) but had not asked how much I weighed (quit looking or asking long ago). I called the nurse and asked her to look at my chart for me and she told me I had weighed 341lbs. So if that is the case that brings my total weight loss to 68lbs!!! Yippee for me. I put on pants tonight that I haven't worn in four years. My hubby was mad because he thought I had been shopping and spent money. It was almost as good as shopping! My niece, who lives with me, is fourteen and her and I both can get into my pre-band size 34w pants. I have taken pictures but don't have a scanner. I will post them soon I hope. I want to be 250 by my company's Christmas party on a riverboat. I have never been because I could never find anything half decent to wear. This year I am going and am actually excited to look for something. Although next year might be more fun.

I am sooo excited for you! congrats on your loss!

I really liked reading about your pants story and your husband being upset about 'shopping'priceless,lol!

You must have felt so good.

I really enjoy daydreaming about all the things I will wear as well.It will be so fun.

see u

Chantal:p

Try a baby spoon and fork. I was given a baby spoon by my dietitian and laughed in her face. Like I'd use that but you know what I do. I even went out an bought a few more. I have small children and they had baby forks which work well. You can't but a big ass bite on one of those forks...

I am a big chew spit out person. Cookies, chips just to get the taste in my mouth then out it goes. My husband thinks I'm totally gross! But hey we are still human..

I'm sure a little goes down when I do this but I miss real food somedays.

Good luck and try the baby spoon and fork!

I've been using chop sticks for some dishes. My kids are even getting a kick out of using them. They really make me slow down because I have to concentrate on just using them!