Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared. Is my lapband slipping or am I getting a hernia?

Hi..

I am getting so worried.

First of all, I was feeling a pain right under my large inscission. A ripping/tearing pain on my left side. It hurt when I slept on my side and when I moved in a certain way..

people here told me it was normal and I was releived.

BUT NOW..

I am having the same kind of pain but about 8 inches lower than it was before and no where near an inscision and actually seems to be in just fat. (my lower stomach thats all flab)

And it hurts when ever I shift my self, like to stand or sit up.

Is this normal too..

To have that pain that low as well now?

The pain I was having before is gone. (the pain in my large inscision area)

Thanks for any advice.

If you are worried about pain, call your doctor or go to an emergency room. You shouldn't worry about calling him.

Its not gas! LOL I know what gas is..

I cannot complain to my doctor about every little thing, I will wait and see if it passes I guess. Or does something else worse than stinging...

I was hoping if someone who had gotton a hernia before would come in and tell me about the symptoms..

thanks though

I cannot complain to my doctor about every little thing

I wouldn't consider this a "little thing".... Dr. Ortiz would probably appreciate a phone call vs. you sitting there with a possible problem hoping that it will go away on it's own without letting him know what's going on. I'm sure HE won't feel that you're bothering him. I would definately give him a call.

Take care!

Nykee, I agree that you should call you doctor if you are worried about anything. But you say this pain is 8 inches lower than your port incision? That probably has absolutely nothing to do with your band, since your band itself is HIGHER than your port. You may have pulled an abdominal or groin muscle. Or it may be something intestinal--are you constipated?

Call your doctor! If a pain concerns you enough to worry about it, it's worth asking him. If you really don't want to call your surgeon, call your PCP! As I say, this is very likely not band-related at all, it's nowhere near your port or your band.

From my stand point if it was one of our patients I would want to know right away. It may be nothing but I would rather find out it was nothing early than have to worry about it being something later. Call your doctor!!!

Don't worry about bothering your surgeon! Call him and ask his opinion. I've had two ports removed already, but as bad and ugly as my problems were, severe pain was never a problem (except while recovering from surgeries.) I was doubled over in pain a couple weeks ago and went to Urgent Care. They diagnosed me with gas. I also thought I knew what gas pains felt like, but they can be debilitating. And you're describing the same gas pains I had. But call your surgeon! Dr. Ortiz is really good at taking calls.

Nykee

I have had a hernia! Mine was in the umbilical area, I do not recall a lot of pain, however I had a sensation that my guts were popping out. I am a registered nurse and I knew what was going on pretty much right away - I felt like if I coughed I had to hold on my stomach or my gut was going to "blow out". This was not anything related to my banding - it was actually about 4 years ago, and I was pregnant and had bronchitis - -was coughing a bunch and had just had gallbladder surgery, so that area was weakened, by an incision. Very rarely are hernias emergant, however as others have said - "when in doubt, give a shout" to the doc that is!! Isn't amazing how in tune to our bodies we become after this surgery!!

Good Luck & Keep us posted

Nadine

NYkee, call Dr. Martinez on his cell phone, he will answer it and be happy to answer all of your questions. He would not give you his number if he didnt want you to call, it could be something so simple, let him put your mind at ease.

Why wasnt I getting notifications for this thread??

sorry for not replying..

Umm.. I never did talk to anyone about it..

Pati-o... what are adhesions????

Wannitiny)

"when in doubt, give a shout" to the doc that is!! Isn't amazing how in tune to our bodies we become after this surgery!!

ME)

How do thye know if you have a hernia if they do not check?

I do feel like everytime i move wrong and cough and get up and dowm from a chair or toilet that my insides "pull and sting"

What did it look like? What were the syptoms?

I went to the ER because I had a fevor of 103.6 (highest) for almost two days and then this morning this reddning developed all around my belly near my belly button, out about 5 inches..

Er said there was no way it was a hernia (I asked "is there any way these are symptoms of a hernia" and he said no no no) and that I have a rash and gave me antibiotics.. which ya know could be true..

Its just scaring me that I been having thses little problems all along, then something like this happens (NEVER happened before in my life)

Yes, I called Dr. Ortiz and he told me to go to ER and be sure to email him what the deal was.

So.,. now I hope I get email notifications for this and remember to come in here cuz you guys are so helpfull amd kind here.

thank you