Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drink Recommendation, Please

Hi !

I am new to the board and have just received insurance approval today. No date yet, but would like to start a good pre-op diet. I see many of you referring to Protein Drinks as a part of the regimen. Are there any particuliar drinks you have found satisfying and effective. Thank you.

Tammygirl

You should check with your DR for pre-op diet requirements as each Dr. can vary greatly on what they want their patients to do both pre- and post op.

For a clear Protein Drink, I use Isopure CLEAR. It has 160 calories, no carbs and 40 grams of Protein. Comes in several flavors. Many people hate the taste of them, but very cold over ice, it's tolerable and good if your Dr. says CLEAR only. GNC or Vitamin Shoppes

For "full" liquid stages , I like the Atkins advantage shakes. 160 calories, 15 gm Protein, ? carbs ( forget).

Check the food and recipe section on the forum. There are many suggestions for each "stage" of post op eating.

I didn't worry about Protein until I was out of my Clear Liquids stage. When I added Protein Drinks I found - especially in the beginning - a brand called "Six Star" to be the best.

My favorite brand is Jay Robb. The vanilla actually taste somewhat like a milk shake more than a nasty gritty Protein Shake. I get it from HEB stores in TX but Jay Robb also has a website where you can order the Protein.< /p>

Definitely check with your doctor and/or nutritionist for requirements. Mine need to be no more than 170 calories per serving and at least 15g of Protein.

I would second the recommendation for Atkins Advantage. I also like the EAS Advantage Carb Control. I can find both it and the Atkins shakes at my local Publix and Kroger. Designer whey Protein Powder isn't bad, either -- you can mix it into a lot of different things and it mixes easily with a spoon. You could also go to Vitalady.com and order samples of different brands and flavors if you like. I didn't care for most of the ones I got, unfortunately -- I needed a blender to mix and they could be chalky/gritty/overly sweet.

I'm interested in the Profect "capsules" -- 25g of Protein in less than 3 oz -- but I haven't found anywhere locally that sells them so I might get a sampler online.

Good luck!

I am pre-op for March 18, and I have to do mostly liquids for two weeks prior. I have a collection of Protein drinks. I have EAS Advantage (powder), Permalean (powder), Atkins Advantage (ready to drink), and Worldwide Protein Shake (ready to drink). Atkins and EAS can be found at Target. Permalean at specialty pharmacies that carry bariatric stuff, and Worldwide can be found at Trader Joe's if you have one in your area. I can also have sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello, broths, cream Soups, yogurt, and to ease into the liquids I can have a small amount of lean protein, like a hard boiled egg or unbreaded chicken tender. I decided to write down everything, and to my surprise I only consumed 465 calories yesterday. I am calling the dietician to find out how to safely increase the calories without messing up the diet. Four days before surgery I go to liquids only. My pre-op visits with the dietician, surgeon and the class with the nurse are on 3/10. I also have some samplers of Profect (mentioned above) It comes in what looks like a test tube but tastes fine. It is a small amount of liquid with a large amount of protein, in case you are falling short. Not much else in them. I am saving them for post-op in case I can't eat enough to get my protein in. I feel like a mad scientist when I drink one because of the container. They are pricey, almost $3.00 each. I got them from the web site. They have 2 different sampler sets, and I bought 2 of each. I don't see them as a meal but a protein supplement.

Pre-op, I'm on nothing but Protein Shakes, broth, Water, and sf popsicles. My doctor recommends Unjury, which I have a bunch of. Love the chocolate, as do my kids. It has 20g Protein, 100 calories and 4 carbs. I also use Syntrax Nectar Cappucino Protein Powder a couple of times a day. It has a great flavor, no carbs, 90 calories, 23 g protein, and I have that in the morning now instead of my coffee with milk and flavored Creamer.< /p>

I haven't received my date yet so I haven't went on a full pre op diet. But I do prefer the EAS from costco over alot of the others I have tried.

:tea: Thank you, Everyone! I have noted each response and decided to sample every one. Still no date for me yet. My doctor does not advocate one go on a special diet pre op. When I asked about it, he replied "The size of the liver is not a big deal." However, just about all the posts on here mention that most docs think it's a big deal. Therefore, I have decided a pre-op low carb diet can't hurt. Again, thanks for the recommendations!

Tammygirl

Tammy:

If you are near a Walmart (and who isn't) I would try the Body Fortress whey Protein. They come in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and fruit punch. The chocolate and vanilla taste the same as vanilla and chocolate unjury and cost way less. You can get 5 pounds for around $14. I have tried the unflavored Unjury, chocolate unjury and the chicken Soup. They are ok. I also have the Healthwise Tomato Soup, which is a nice change of pace. I hope this helps.

I have tried most of the Unjury flavors.....but the whey protien from Wlamart's is just as good and much cheaper I agree.

I also have tried Healthwise. most can be found on web sites..

just trying as many different options as i can before surgery.