Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knockouts March '08 chat!

Hey guys! I thought it would be nice to have a place to chat each month about our progress. I figured this would make it easier to keep people's updates and such in one thread so we can support one another and cheer each other on! By all means, create new threads if you want to, like if you have a specific question that you want other LBTers to see and respond or just because you feel like it!

So here's to the beginning of what's going to be a great March 2008 for the New Year's Knockouts!!

I think it is a great idea to keep a few "master" sites to keep each other updated.

looks like you are doing great.

my surgery is 3/19, as long as there are no snafus from insurance or doctor clearances

:laugh:

I started a ticker for the 600 Minute March! I also added NSV goals to my siggy. Things are going well, I suppose. Could be better, so I'm joining Curves tomorrow. I'm just not losing the weight so I need more structure in my exercise regimen. I have decent restriction only part of the time after my first fill. My 2nd fill is coming up March 19th and it just cannot come soon enough!

How's everybody else doing?

I am going crazy. Bandster hell has me VERY discouraged. I feel no differently than I did before the surgery and I don't have the will power to force myself to eat small bits anymore on my own. So I find myself eating things that I know I should be but hey - they go down. I know the band wont make me eat just vegetables and lean meats but I'm having a hardtime getting my mindset right - you know the "can only eat a little bit so make it count" ... doesn't apply right now cuz I can eat whatever. bread? Sure. Nachos? No problem. I'm feeling like a big failure these days. And I haven't lost any weight in two weeks. Very discouraged. First fill is next Monday.

Hi Ang!

I TOTALLY feel the same way, we pretty much started at the same place, I was 325 when I had my surgery and have lost about 25 pounds (it's anywhere from 25 to 29 depending on where I am weighing in) and I am feeling very little restriction too. I haven't had my first fill yet, it will be March 14th and I am pretty much able to eat whatever I want. I can't eat quite as much as before, but the difference is really minimal so I am looking forward to the fill.

While I am anxious to see some dramatic weight loss, I am also trying to keep myself in check by keeping in mind the fact that I want to cut down on the saggy skin as much as possible and slower loss gives my body more time to respond to the changes! At least that's my hope!

You are definately NOT a failure, this is a process and one that is going to take some time! I have faith that the fill will set you (and me) up for great successes!

I haven't been posting recently since we have just sold our house in FL and are moving to our home in GA. Going into semi-retirement. Busy packing and organizing!

Had a good deal of trouble the last 3 weeks and had not lost one more pound. Eating anything I wanted with no restriction but still trying to watch what and how much I eat. My saving grace is that I have not gained any back!

Just had my first fill this morning. He put in 4 cc and I already feel the restriction! Could only eat about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of cottage cheese for lunch and feel very full. I can feel a huge difference. Surely hope it lasts!

Ang1982 - when do you get your first fill?..............make sure you tell your Dr. how hard it is for you without restriction. I felt the same way and let him know what a struggle it has been. He said he would be somewhat aggressive, put in 5 cc and thought that was too much so took out 1cc. Right now.......it has made all the difference in the world.

Besides just losing the weight, I have seen a big difference in my clothes. That is encouraging! Down 2 sizes so far.

We just bought a boat for our retirement and I want to be out on that boat in shorts (at my age a bikini is just NOT going to work!!) I would love to be down another 30 pds by June and will make that my mini goal!

I have learned that I can't do this on my own, that I must be patient with the process and with myself. And I need to heal physically and mentally!!!

Good luck all!

Hi Ang!

I TOTALLY feel the same way, we pretty much started at the same place, I was 325 when I had my surgery and have lost about 25 pounds (it's anywhere from 25 to 29 depending on where I am weighing in) and I am feeling very little restriction too. I haven't had my first fill yet, it will be March 14th and I am pretty much able to eat whatever I want. I can't eat quite as much as before, but the difference is really minimal so I am looking forward to the fill.

While I am anxious to see some dramatic weight loss, I am also trying to keep myself in check by keeping in mind the fact that I want to cut down on the saggy skin as much as possible and slower loss gives my body more time to respond to the changes! At least that's my hope!

You are definately NOT a failure, this is a process and one that is going to take some time! I have faith that the fill will set you (and me) up for great successes!

Thanks Alisa. It's reassuring (yet saddening) to know that I am not alone in this. Hopefully our first fills will be fantastic and take charge of things! I am tired of being discouraged. I know we can do great things, lets get them going already haha.

Personally, I have been overweight my entire life... I know my skin is too damaged to really shrink back in so loose skin is pretty much a guarantee for me so I'm all for FAST FAST FAST weight loss! lol.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I haven't been posting recently since we have just sold our house in FL and are moving to our home in GA. Going into semi-retirement. Busy packing and organizing!

Had a good deal of trouble the last 3 weeks and had not lost one more pound. Eating anything I wanted with no restriction but still trying to watch what and how much I eat. My saving grace is that I have not gained any back!

Just had my first fill this morning. He put in 4 cc and I already feel the restriction! Could only eat about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of cottage cheese for lunch and feel very full. I can feel a huge difference. Surely hope it lasts!

Ang1982 - when do you get your first fill?..............make sure you tell your Dr. how hard it is for you without restriction. I felt the same way and let him know what a struggle it has been. He said he would be somewhat aggressive, put in 5 cc and thought that was too much so took out 1cc. Right now.......it has made all the difference in the world.

Besides just losing the weight, I have seen a big difference in my clothes. That is encouraging! Down 2 sizes so far.

We just bought a boat for our retirement and I want to be out on that boat in shorts (at my age a bikini is just NOT going to work!!) I would love to be down another 30 pds by June and will make that my mini goal!

I have learned that I can't do this on my own, that I must be patient with the process and with myself. And I need to heal physically and mentally!!!

Good luck all!

Wow, a busy lady you have been! But how exciting to be starting a new phase of life with retirement and buying a boat, moving to a different place! And you will look fantastic in those new shorts in June! Keep up the awesome work.

My first fill is next monday March 10, and I will do what you said about being sure to tell my surgeon how badly I am struggling these days. Thank you for the advice on that.

Thanks again to both of you for your support and encouragement.

Ang,

I too have been overweight pretty much my whole life to and the saggy skin is (and has been) my biggest concern about this process. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but also know enough to be realistic that this significant a loss is likely going to result in me having to have some plastic surgery. Not tops on my list, but if I am going to put in the work to lose the weight then it will be worth it to me to finish the process by getting things tightened up!

Do let us all know how your first fill goes, mine is 4 days after yours so I will be anxious to hear!

I see that I'm not the only one.. whew!! I've done good 48 pounds down, but I want the 100 NOW !! I've lost and regained the same 2 pounds every week.. then one week it will be 3 pounds gone. I can't get a fill until this incision place is healed.. So my will power is fueling me, but I can eat anything, as long as I chew the fun out of it.. It's discouraging at times.. and the mirror doesn't help.. I do feel the difference in my clothing.. but dangit I want it to show more.. I'm down a size plus.. inbetween, new panties, which was kinda fun.. bra getting loose.. inpatient?? yep... I'll drink some more Water, that usually makes me feel better...

I am going crazy. Bandster hell has me VERY discouraged. I feel no differently than I did before the surgery and I don't have the will power to force myself to eat small bits anymore on my own. So I find myself eating things that I know I should be but hey - they go down. I know the band wont make me eat just vegetables and lean meats but I'm having a hardtime getting my mindset right - you know the "can only eat a little bit so make it count" ... doesn't apply right now cuz I can eat whatever. bread? Sure. Nachos? No problem. I'm feeling like a big failure these days. And I haven't lost any weight in two weeks. Very discouraged. First fill is next Monday.

I totally understand you too Ang! I can eat everything and anything too: White meat chicken, bread, salad etc. I. I can eat a full meal too, though after a few of my bigger than regular meals, I got some tightness in my chest and an uncomfortable feeling. All that's about to change on Thursday when I go for my first fill. I think I'm only getting 1cc in my 4cc band, which I think is standard first fill. I'm happy to ease into the restriction.

The only way I've been keeping myself in check and continue to lose weight in bandster hell is by low-carbing it. I lost 60 lbs pre-op on Atkins and with or without the band, I really believe in a low carb lifestyle. White sugar and flour ain't good for anybody! As yummy as it tastes, I believe it's what got me to be as heavy as I am (plus the genetics and such). I do allow myself once in a while to eat that stuff...and you know what, it doesn't taste as good as it used to. I know that if I wasn't doing Atkins these past few weeks would have been horrible. I'm planning to keep out as much sugar as possible in the hopes of losing weight quicker.

Alisa and Ang, I hear you guys on the excess skin....it's inevitable. I've also been extremely overweight since I was 5 and it I know I'm going to have a bunch of excess skin too. I remember bringing this question up to my Dr. at my first consultation and he was just like "we'll worry about it when it's an issue". I realized that I would rather good health and saggy skin than bad health and skin that's not saggy because it's filled with fat!

kcintx, Congrats on losing 48lbs! That's amazing! And you have to get smaller clothing, that's great! Keep reminding yourself that it will be worth it in the end! Take it 1 lb at a time! When I started at 315 in August I couldn't imagine losing 100lbs, it was too overwhelming. I worked in 10 lb increments making my way to 290 then 280, then 270 etc and all of a sudden, here I am only 6lbs away from losing 100lbs...I can't even believe it. Don't give up, it will come before you know it!

What a good idea--to have a thread of January bandsters where we can have a little more continuous contact so we can get to know each other better. I noticed that the July 07 bandsters have a great thread going. Let's try to do the same.

I was banded Jan.21st and like everyone else on this thread, I'm struggling with hunger big-time. Most of the time I can keep the eating under control, at least with the quality of food but sometimes not with quantity. Right now, I can eat anything with no problem--huge salads, popcorn, chicken. I had my first fill of 5cc. in a 9cc Realize band on February 20th. Had a little restriction for two days, then none. I was scheduled for a second fill March 19th but emailed my doctor about the problems I was having with hunger. He said I could come in early (as long as it was at least 14 days after the first fill), so I go in tomorrow for a 2nd. fill. I'm really happy about that because I am so anxious to have this band help me out a little... and better yet, help me out a lot!

Let's stay in touch and help each other out. Okay?

Great thread! I have been wondering how other Jan. bandsters have been doing.

Even though my weight loss has been slow, I am fine with it. I had my first fill 2 1/2 weeks ago, and got very good restriction with the one adjustment. I think I have lost 4 or 5 pounds since the fill. Before the fill, I had no restriction, and was gaining weight!

Now, in the mornings, the band is super tight. Breakfast is Carnation Instant Breakfast, or yogurt. lunch is "iffy". Some days I can eat a small salad with chicken, some days it has to be a soft food like cottage cheese. By 3pm, I am able to eat almost anything, in small quantities. I always allow myself a nice dinner...just a small one. I cannot eat any type of bread yet, but maybe one day.

I have to get going with my exercise. I have been active, but not regularly working out. I play tennis twice a week, and work out with a trainer once a week. I also do yoga once a week, but I need to add more cardio. I belong to a great gym, that has awesome classes and equipment, so I have no excuse not to go.

I am very happy with the lapband, and for the first time in my life, I am optimistic about meeting my goal weight and getting healthy.

Redtulips: Thanks for getting this thread started. Comparing notes with other people who were banded in the same month should be helpful and carry us through to accomplishing our goal(s) both weight-wise and life-wise.

I had an interesting lap-band experience yesterday. My DH and I traveled 4-1/2 hours through sleet and snow so that I could have my second fill (nothing was going to keep me from having that fill!). Everything went great with the fill (absolutely no pain). 1st fill two weeks ago was 5cc. in my 9cc Realize band. This 2nd fill was 1cc. We had to hang around Cincinnati for two hours before starting for home just to make sure the fill didn't turn out to be too tight. I was told to start sipping Clear liquids and continue all the way home. I had come prepared with a huge bottle of Lipton Green Tea (sugar free--I thought) in the car so I started drinking the Green Tea. After drinking 36oz. of tea, of course, I had to make a bathroom stop. While in the gas station I spotted some fresh donuts/sweet rolls and had an instant magnetic attraction to them. I was so so surprised at my reaction because for two months (having been off all sugar and white flour products perfectly) I had not had any such reaction when seeing sugar products. I asked myself, "Why now? Has my old sweet craving/addiction returned?" I was really scared. I didn't end up buying a sweet roll because DH was there and because I'd just had a fill a few hours earlier. When I returned to the car I was shaken, wondering if I would have to struggle with sugar again. As I began sipping my Green Tea again, I, for some reason, looked at the content label. Holy Cow! This was NOT sugar free Green Tea--80 cal./serving. Okay, okay, now I know what happened. Just 3 servings of something with sugar in it had started my sugar cravings again. Well, it's too bad it happened but I learned a good lesson. What had happened is that when DH bought 2 bottle of Green Tea, the first bottle he looked at was sugar free and he didn't look closely at the second bottle right behind it. Unfortunately, it was not sugar free. Actually, I don't think this was a bad thing that happened because it proved to me that when I have even the slightest amount of sugar, I'm right back in to the "having to have it " mode. No, I wasn't mad at DH because he was so apologetic for what had happened. I ended up feeling sorry for him for feeling sorry for me.

I see that I'm not the only one.. whew!! I've done good 48 pounds down, but I want the 100 NOW !! I've lost and regained the same 2 pounds every week.. then one week it will be 3 pounds gone. I can't get a fill until this incision place is healed.. So my will power is fueling me, but I can eat anything, as long as I chew the fun out of it.. It's discouraging at times.. and the mirror doesn't help.. I do feel the difference in my clothing.. but dangit I want it to show more.. I'm down a size plus.. inbetween, new panties, which was kinda fun.. bra getting loose.. inpatient?? yep... I'll drink some more Water, that usually makes me feel better...

Wow, you are doing fabulously! 48 lbs is nothing to sneeze at - well done!! :thumbup:

I totally understand you too Ang! I can eat everything and anything too: White meat chicken, bread, salad etc. I. I can eat a full meal too, though after a few of my bigger than regular meals, I got some tightness in my chest and an uncomfortable feeling. All that's about to change on Thursday when I go for my first fill. I think I'm only getting 1cc in my 4cc band, which I think is standard first fill. I'm happy to ease into the restriction.

The only way I've been keeping myself in check and continue to lose weight in bandster hell is by low-carbing it. I lost 60 lbs pre-op on Atkins and with or without the band, I really believe in a low carb lifestyle. White sugar and flour ain't good for anybody! As yummy as it tastes, I believe it's what got me to be as heavy as I am (plus the genetics and such). I do allow myself once in a while to eat that stuff...and you know what, it doesn't taste as good as it used to. I know that if I wasn't doing Atkins these past few weeks would have been horrible. I'm planning to keep out as much sugar as possible in the hopes of losing weight quicker.

Alisa and Ang, I hear you guys on the excess skin....it's inevitable. I've also been extremely overweight since I was 5 and it I know I'm going to have a bunch of excess skin too. I remember bringing this question up to my Dr. at my first consultation and he was just like "we'll worry about it when it's an issue". I realized that I would rather good health and saggy skin than bad health and skin that's not saggy because it's filled with fat!

kcintx, Congrats on losing 48lbs! That's amazing! And you have to get smaller clothing, that's great! Keep reminding yourself that it will be worth it in the end! Take it 1 lb at a time! When I started at 315 in August I couldn't imagine losing 100lbs, it was too overwhelming. I worked in 10 lb increments making my way to 290 then 280, then 270 etc and all of a sudden, here I am only 6lbs away from losing 100lbs...I can't even believe it. Don't give up, it will come before you know it!

Girlie, can you tell me some pointers to doing something similar to what you are doing with Atkin? I've never done Atkins before and it seems to be working for you - do you have any base tips on where to get started? What kind of things do you eat for breakie/lunch/dinner? You are doing so fabulously keep up the awesome work and to lose all that weight before surgery is awesome!!!

I had an interesting lap-band experience yesterday. My DH and I traveled 4-1/2 hours through sleet and snow so that I could have my second fill (nothing was going to keep me from having that fill!). Everything went great with the fill (absolutely no pain). 1st fill two weeks ago was 5cc. in my 9cc Realize band. This 2nd fill was 1cc. We had to hang around Cincinnati for two hours before starting for home just to make sure the fill didn't turn out to be too tight. I was told to start sipping Clear Liquids and continue all the way home. I had come prepared with a huge bottle of Lipton Green Tea (sugar free--I thought) in the car so I started drinking the Green Tea. After drinking 36oz. of tea, of course, I had to make a bathroom stop. While in the gas station I spotted some fresh donuts/sweet rolls and had an instant magnetic attraction to them. I was so so surprised at my reaction because for two months (having been off all sugar and white flour products perfectly) I had not had any such reaction when seeing sugar products. I asked myself, "Why now? Has my old sweet craving/addiction returned?" I was really scared. I didn't end up buying a sweet roll because DH was there and because I'd just had a fill a few hours earlier. When I returned to the car I was shaken, wondering if I would have to struggle with sugar again. As I began sipping my Green Tea again, I, for some reason, looked at the content label. Holy Cow! This was NOT sugar free Green Tea--80 cal./serving. Okay, okay, now I know what happened. Just 3 servings of something with sugar in it had started my sugar cravings again. Well, it's too bad it happened but I learned a good lesson. What had happened is that when DH bought 2 bottle of Green Tea, the first bottle he looked at was sugar free and he didn't look closely at the second bottle right behind it. Unfortunately, it was not sugar free. Actually, I don't think this was a bad thing that happened because it proved to me that when I have even the slightest amount of sugar, I'm right back in to the "having to have it " mode. No, I wasn't mad at DH because he was so apologetic for what had happened. I ended up feeling sorry for him for feeling sorry for me.

Wow that is crazy! But interesting because my sugar craving mode has been kicking in full force lately and I wonder if I drank or ate something not realizing that made it do the same.

I LOVE/HATE the Atkins program. I HATE it because it is so very restrictive (at least the induction phase is) being allowed to eat fewer than 20g. of carbs/day. That's a hard thing to do. You end up eating pretty much only meat. But... I LOVE it because it allows me to quickly rid myself of cravings for sugar and flour. If I'm strict on the Atkins induction phase for 2-3 days, I lose all my cravings for sugar and flour. So I like to use the Atkins Induction Diet to get back on track with from my out-of-control eating. 2-3 days of Atkins induction, then switch to a high Protein, low carb, sensible eating plan that allows me to at least eat green vegetables and a fruit once in a while.