Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Sharon - I think I'm sliding into the carb world also. I hate it because it makes me feel sluggish. anyhow, I'm happy for you that your getting back on track and documenting what your eating. I'm going to do that. Great job, keep it up.

Dolores

:(:aureola:annie love love your hair. I have short hair and it is so easy to care for. Hey I'd be happy that anyone hit on me (hahahahaha)...its ok...those guys don't know what their missing....

sharon:)

Delores: Hi! I do believe that the band losens over time. I think you stomach also gets smaller, so that band that was at the right tightness - after you loose weight - is not so tight after all.

Hey, my band is tight at different times. I ate a bite of sugar free ice milk and couldn't eat any more because the band tightened up. If I drink hot tea or something warm, it loosens up. Funny thing, the band.

Hope, I agree with you on the band loosening over time as you lose weight. It also tightens and loosens according to your frame of mind. Mine is very tight in the morning. I have a hard time eating more than yogurt or cottage cheese. By the end of the day I do better unless I am stressed out. I am finding that I am having to change my whole way of eating. I went to lunch with some friends yesterday and only one knows I have the band. We were at a greek restaurant and they all ordered gyros so I did too. I ordered a chicken gyro. I wasn't able to eat mine because the chicken was very dry and stuck right away. I ended up taking it home. I should have ordered a salad or some Soup. I am learning that when eating out it's better to eat what I can get down rather than what looks good. Darn it!! But it's all worth it in the end..............

I've discovered that in times of high stress the band is very tight. During my hurricane evacuation, when I wasn't sure if I would have a home to go back to, there were two days that nothing but slim fast would go down.

I had a slight unfill yesterday. The MD said I did everything right. My problem started with a gastritis...which I started taking some medication for, but it just did not improve. The band just kept getting tighter and tighter as a result of the inflammation of my stomach.

So, they removed 2cc and I feel much better. I drank a bunch of Water and has some Soup yesterday. So nice to be able to comfortably hold something down. I am still taking the meds for the gastritis and scheduled another appt for 4 weeks out. If I have any more problems they want me to get an esophogram. Hopefully this slight un-fill will do the trick.

The band is very fickle, but in the end it's all worth it.

Christine

Christine I am glad you found some relief. I am now wondering if I have the same problem you did. I have an appt scheduled for the 14th for my 6 month check-up. I will mention to the doctor that I seem tighter and have to take meds for reflux too. Keep us posted on how you do now with the slight unfill.

I feel much better now that I've had my slight unfill. I still have restriction and I still have a bit of gastritis, so I'm being very careful with what I eat, but I can eat.

Today I had 1 egg and I just had half a chicken thigh and about a tablespoon of corn. I need to drink an Isopure to get in a bit more for the day, but I'm just so grateful to be ablt to eat and drink again.

Today I said to a friend..."do you know what is better than being able to eat?....being able to drink!" I never thought I would say that.

Christine

That must have been terrible not to be able to get liquids down either. I am glad you are feeling better Christine. I hope you have a good weekend.

Well the economy is rearing its head all around and we got some somber news at our work yesterday - no job cuts thank goodness - but all spending of any discretionary basis is off - no training, no travel, no hiring of existing open posted positions, no replacing someone if someone leaves the company, etc. Ugh! This stress I really don't need. So, my best attack strategy for the depressing news was to take a long walk as soon as I got home last night and I got up today and did a long walk again.

Tomorrow is the Walk from Obesity in Central Ohio so I hope there will be a good turnout for that. The walks for the last 2 days were to make sure I was warmed up for that. I think its 5K which is a little more than 3 miles and that shouldn't be a problem for me. That is a blessing.

Let's keep a good thought and prayer for this whole economy situation for everyone but especially for those of us who were stress eaters that we don't find any of our old eating habits to cope.

I had a slight unfill yesterday. The MD said I did everything right. My problem started with a gastritis...which I started taking some medication for, but it just did not improve. The band just kept getting tighter and tighter as a result of the inflammation of my stomach.

So, they removed 2cc and I feel much better. I drank a bunch of Water and has some Soup yesterday. So nice to be able to comfortably hold something down. I am still taking the meds for the gastritis and scheduled another appt for 4 weeks out. If I have any more problems they want me to get an esophogram. Hopefully this slight un-fill will do the trick.

The band is very fickle, but in the end it's all worth it.

Christine

Christine, how did you know you had gastritis? What signs triggered you to go to the doctor? I have had some concerns with soreness in my port area after 6 months. I do not want to over-react but I waited too long for my band.

I also have been put on antiflamitory drugs by another doctor for a pulled ligament in my ankle due to walking. Not a medical person....but aren't these NSAIDs (spelling sucks)? I don't need to take these do I?

Hi Shamrock ---

I'm glad to see a bunch of us are hanging in there.

Kathy and Christine -- I have a check up with my surgeon on Oct 9. He put in 4cc at once early this summer. He had to take take out 3cc a few days later and I had to wait a month to get 1cc more--so I know how terrible that overfill is (and it can cause slippage of the band). Now I need to figure out if I should ask him for another .5cc. I'm incline to go for it but don't want anymore stomach problems. Can I ask you both how many ccs you have in your band? I know everyone is different. What level of fill are most people comfortable at?

I'm continue with physical therapy and I have to say that it's doing a world of good. My shoulder and neck problems are almost resolved. After that -- they will do my lower body. I'm actually beginning to imagine that I'll be pain free in a few months.

Hi Penny,

I have 2.25cc in a 4cc band. I don't think I have mine too full. I just notice that at times it's tighter than other times. I have an appointment on the 14th so I will talk to the doctor and see if he agrees. I am glad you are feeling better. Physical therapy works wonders doesn't it?

I had a feeling that I had gastristis because of the huge amount of burning I had after eating or drinking anything. I have had this once before...before banding and it felt very similar. So, I started taking Omeprazol, but it did not get better. The band started feeling too dight and just kept getting tighter. The gastritis causes the lining of the stomach to become inflamed and swollen, so this made the band feel tighter.

They removed 2cc which leaves me at 4.5cc in a 10cc band. I feel good restriction now and my stomach is healing. I feel so much better, have some energy and can eat and drink, but am still sticking to bland foods and no caffiene to help with the gastritis.

I was at 6cc in my band for a few months and did very well. Even with 6.5cc I did not feel over full, but when these issues hit, I really needed the un-fill.

Christine

I have 9.5 cc's in a 14 cc AP-L band at this point and I'd say I am close to what would be considered my sweet spot for now meaning I can eat a small amount and stay full for 4-5 hours which amazes me. When I do get hungry, I have almost this sudden realization I'm hungry I want something to eat, but then a very small amount satisfies.

Yesterday I tried 2 scrambled eggs for Breakfast with nothing else. Well, only 1 of the 2 eggs stayed down, the 2nd egg made me so full I had a PB episode that I don't want to repeat so now I know that Breakfast is 1 egg. I can remember going out to a restaurant for a big breakfast and having a big omelette (ham and cheese added plus maybe 3 eggs), hash browns, toast with butter and jelly and of course washing it all down with orange juice and coffee. Amazing.

I did a 6 month picture taking session on my own yesterday at home. Set up a tripod and used the timer on my little digital camera to take pictures in the same clothes yesterday that I had pictures back on March 16 before surgery. Also tried some of the same clothes that I had revolting pictures before surgery and it did help me see the Before and During progress.

Hang in there Shamrocks we're getting there step by step.