Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Just wanted to share that I am officially in: k9CGunWPVh.gif

I am so excited! I didn't make my goal for my birthday, but I'm finally here now, and proud:) I hope you all have a great weekend! I'm off to Celebrate with some shopping!

~Kerri

Congratulations Keri!!! :thumbup:

Annie, I think your new hair looks great!

Christine

Penny - it's the esophagus AND the stomach. The band sits around the upper stomach, and squeezes it down until the esophagus is flowing into a new, smaller stomach a bit larger than a ping pong ball. There's a functional valve where the esophagus joins the stomach; when that valve is stretched, you'll get discomfort. The valve gets stretched when food backs up from the mini-stomach into the esophagus.

If you're getting pain and Water isn't passing, it's probably because food is still filling your mini-stomach. And if food is still filling your mini-stomach, there's a good chance you're not chewing enough - you really have to get the food pureed so it'll slide out of the mini-stomach and into the main one.

I have a dumb question about restriction. I have only had 1 fill and I'm hoping that those of you who are further along with fills can explain something to me. Is restriction about restriction around the stomach or restriction around the esophagus? I'm asking this because sometimes Water doesn't go down well. It feels like it's stuck in my esophagus. The same thing is happening with food. Today I took the first bite out of a spinach wrap (turkey, red pepper, spinach, a little bacon and cheese) and I had to stop right away. It felt stuck (hurt) in my esophagus. After a while -- it felt like it cleared and then I ate very slowly and chewed a lot and it seemed to be OK. I only ate about half of it and I had plenty of food---but at dinner I had 2x that much food (which is unusual). Most of the time --I think I need another fill because I'm not usually full when I eat. I just stop eating to limit calories. But I keep thinking that if I get more restriction then things will hurt more going down my esophagus. OR---Is it possible that the hurting or stuck esophagus is about drinking or eating too fast and has nothing to do with restriction?

There are no dumb questions about restriction. Really! We're all learning about this together. Last time I posted was about restriction and the struggles I've been having with it.

To answer your question as best I can... I think the pain in the esophagus when you're stuck is really in your tiny little pouch now found at the very bottom of it. The only time there's true pain in my esophagus (rather than the pouch) is after vomiting. Then it's awful even just swallowing saliva. Don't expect to feel full -- just satisfied or not hungry anymore. Whether or not you need a fill is usually a combination of do you feel you can eat too much and how long is it keeping you satisfied (not full). My doctor asks a lot of questions to determine how much more Fluid to add if I think I need more. But honestly, if you're having trouble with Water, you definitely do not need a fill!

On Friday, I went into my doc because I'd had a couple of days where acid was coming up when I'd go to bed (and then I couldn't sleep), and sometimes water was becoming an issue if I was doing anything more than sipping. (You should be able to drink it, not just sip.) This last fill just kept getting tighter -- I don't think it's urban legend that your menstrual cycle affects the band. (Sorry, Fenton!) So they took out 0.2cc. I felt kinda foolish, but that little bit has clearly made a difference!

I hope that helps...

Yesterday, I finally got to try out Wii Fit at a friend's house. I did hula hooping (I did okay, considering I can't do it in real life!), soccer ball headers (okay), and ski jump. Wow, I rocked that ski jump -- set a new household record my first time out! It was fun and I do look forward to getting this for my bday next month if my DH finds it...

But for those of you who may have Playstation 2 (or 3) in your house... Have you ever heard of the Kinetic program? It uses the EyeToy camera with a fisheye lens (to see more of the room), and it's REALLY a workout. I think it's much more active than the things I've seen so far in Wii Fit. You have a virtual trainer, put in your stats, pick a set of routines (aerobic and/or yoga-ish), and you start and end with stretching. I got this a couple of years ago for my bday.

Another great PS2 game is Anti-grav (another EyeToy game). You ride a virtual hover board and between low jumps over obstacles, reaching for targets, and half-squats to duck under stuff as well as increase your speed, it's also a great workout! And it's fun because there are several arenas, speed vs. style mode, and hidden 'wings' to find, there's definitely a game aspect to it.

Just a few other indoor ideas to get us moving during the dog days of summer here...

Edited by chica

Fenton---I'm glad we have you. I'm pretty good about reading books and medical studies on the band but the details can still be hard to understand unless you also have a detailed knowledge about anatomy or about how the band is exactly situated in there. So between what you are saying and what I'm feeling --it sounds to me like my band needs more fill because I'm feeling hunger/cravings too easily and quickly with the 4cc I have in my 10cc band--but that I'm overwhelming my esophagus and causing a bottle neck on that value because I sometimes glug Water or don't eat small enough bites or chew food well enough. So basically -- it looks like I'm just "attacking the water or food too much/too fast" whenever I let myself get too thirsty or hungry---right? THANKS Fenton!

I think I have the anatomy part right, but I don't really have restriction experience, so I think Chica's take on it is more useful than mine. Even though her judgement is occasionally thrown by her menstruating all over town.

(FAMILY GUY joke - anyone a fan?)

(Other than me, I mean.)

When I DO get my fill, I think I'll find it very hard to get into the habit of slowing down and chewing thoroughly.

By the way (er, "bi the way"?), happy Pride Day to any Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgendered shamrocks out there! It's always a fun day in NYC - the parade is a hoot, one of the best. I understand the Sydney one is pretty huge, too, right, A-Dub?

Of course, this year it's so hot and muggy that I'm probably going to Celebrate Your Special Day by seeing KUNG FU PANDA or WANTED.

(When I say "happy Pride Day to any GLBT shamrocks out there!", I don't mean, specifically *out* out. I meant out there in cyberspace. Consider yourself included!)

(IF you're GLBT, I mean.)

chica –This is VERY good information too! I really appreciate your response because I’m worried and I’m trying to figure this out. Well, hmm, now I just don't know what to think. Well---my cycle is history so that isn't it. So far I have never vomited, PB or slimmed but I do sometimes get this feeling when I swallow like something is stuck in my esophagus. It's painful from pressure but not usually REAL painful. If I wait it slowly passes--like something going thru an hourglass. It doesn't seem to be related to the end of a meal ---so I don’t think it’s because my pouch is full. It can even happen many hours after my last meal when I'm just just drinking some cold Water. It just kinda sits there with a little pressure pain (not huge pain) for a few seconds. It doesn’t seem to be consistent or even usual---only happens sometimes. Yesterday it happened with more pain than usual with my very first bite of the turkey wrap for lunch. I was drinking water just prior to taking the bite but I only had about a quarter of a glass before the meal. I put the wrap down and waited for it to pass for about 10 mins. Then I slowly took really little bites and chewed really well like Fenton was saying. I ate half the wrap that way and didn't have anymore problems for that meal or the rest of the day. I'm really concerned about this because I'm scheduled to go back for my 2nd fill on July 10. It's going to be by fluoroscopy because my port has turned and they can't find the hole by feeling it. I go to a teaching hospital so I'm working with a resident who works with my surgeon. I'm afraid that if I don't explain this right to him then he either will not give me any or too much fill. Hmmm—now I’m wondering if this could have something to do with my turned port. Maybe it’s exerting some type of pressure?

I think the port is physically a bit away from your stomach and band, so I don't think that's the problem.

My suspicion is that the food you're eating - the turkey wrap - is extremely dry, and may be getting stuck because of that.

I can't explain the Water getting stuck a few hours after a meal - I'd have thought the pouch would've drained by then. Are you sipping the Water, or glugging it? I know that some bandsters drink from a sippy cup - I'm wondering if you're sending down big boluses of food - the esophagus is about as thick around as a Sharpie magic marker, so a sudden gush of water could stretch it...

It's not too late for Pride Day! My friend is drumming in a samba band in the parade, and she's just left to go to the meeting place.

But DAMN it's a pretty sweet day for a couple of hours in an air-conditioned theater...

Back from vacation and lots to catch up on!

It was a great trip and I really didn't do bad at all!

Had a couple of cocktails two nights....picked at a few things I shouldn't have, but overall, I would rate it a success!

Did a lot of walking and was surprised at how much better I felt than last year! Did a bajillion stairs getting to Mesa Falls and was barely winded.....amazing how dropping some weight will help the lungs!

Lots to catch up on, I'm off to read some posts!

Penny,

The great thing about having fluoroscopy is that they will be able to tell exactly how slowly or quickly stuff can pass through the band. That's very helpful. Of course, give them as much info about your concerns as possible. This will also guide them as far as what to do.

With food that gets stuck in the first couple of bites, it's usually either dry (as Fenton said) or you've taken too big a bite and/or not chewed enough. It's great that at least it eventually passes without incident. (I'm way jealous!) The water... I don't know -- that makes me think you might not want to get tighter. Also, as you've experienced, the band can feel tighter or looser based on the time of day. Lots of folks here at LBT seem to report that mornings are very tight, not so much by the end of the day. So you may be having a 'normal' experience. As Jack says, "The band is a fickle bitch!"

Of course, another question related to the need for a fill is how much weight loss do you typically get per week. This is all so much more complicated than "just get a fill".