Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

I am looking forward to my first fill, hopefully 5/9 at my scheduled appt. Today I overate!!! I just wanted to see if what I thought was resriction was in my mind or actually restriction. I ate almost twice what I normally allow myself. Can't say I felt all that bad after eating it either....Guess I am going back to being strict on myself for my amounts I eat and not test my limits again

I think we all like scale victories because they're measurable and seem absolute. But the fact is that a number of things go into making up weight, and many of them have nothing to do with the amount of fat we're burning.

You know the old joke where the patient goes to the doctor and complains

Patient: Doctor! It hurts when I do this!

Doctor: Well don't do that, then!

?

Well, the scales are the same way. If you're eating right, and exercising, then you're burning fat, pure and simple. And as most of you are chicks who have hormonal changes sweeping in and out throughout the month, some of which are going to cause you to hold on to Water, which will affect your scale weight, you KNOW that sometimes the scale is going to rise, even though you're actually burning fat.

So if you keep looking at the scales, and the needle isn't moving, STOP LOOKING AT THE SCALES! Once a week is fine, once every two weeks might be better!

It's physically impossible for you to keep a low calorie intake with adequate Protein, and to be exercising and burning calories without losing fat! So stop monitoring yourself by the scale number, focus on living right, focus on the clothes that fit you better, the way your energy is gradually increasing, the way you don't tire like you used to etc. Because at the end of the day, SUCCESS in this process ISN'T the number on the scale, is it? It's how you feel in your body, how your health has improved, how your self-confidence has improved, how you can buy clothes you'd never have fit in before the weight loss - it's about embracing LIFE, not about scoring a good number on the scale.

I have a friend at work who likes to joke about people's obsession with the numbers in weight loss. She comes up to me and starts this stream of questions: "So, Fenton, how much have you lost? Great! How much have you lost... NOW? And now how much have you lost.... Now how much? Great! And how much have you lost..... ...... NOW!" etc. It sounds idiotic, but it's pretty funny.

Anyway, I think we (certainly *I* do!) have to keep our mind on the longterm goals, and do the right thing, and stop sweating the times when the needle gets stuck.

And you, Harley! You in particular know better!

So, let's keep watching how much we eat, and try to keep our exercise up. Because, as we all know very well, THAT is how we lose weight.

Well sais, Fenton

There will always be ups and downs. And we will learn to deal with them.

I had a great NSV the other day. At the dentist I could never lean over to the "spit" sink and hit it, I usually had most of the yuck on the "bib" they strap around your neck. But this time!!!!! I leaned over and had no problems. I felt like jumping out of the chair with glee :smile: It felt fabulous.

So, yesterday was Baskin Robbins 31 cent scoop day -- a big event around here with the kids. We were meeting my kids' BFFs there, and I was well prepared to withstand temptation. I had a cold, tasty bottle of Fruit2O to keep my hands and mouth busy. I only went inside the joint when the kids were about to order. I had to talk them down from the 4 scoops plus toppings and chocolate cones they wanted to 3 scoops of whatever flavors they wanted in a cup. These were supposed to be 2.5 oz scoops, mind you, but the newbies serving were dishing out WAY bigger scoops.

I went back outside after the 2 youngest had been served to keep an eye on them, while the others finished ordering. The other mom ended up getting me a scoop of Heath Bar Crunch (my fave, which my kids had told her) even though I told her I didn't want anything. I had to graciously accept, and tried to enjoy the delicious creaminess while feeling somewhat guilty. But when she followed the younger ones to where they'd run off, I threw the half scoop I had left into the trash. :smile: I was feeling very good about that.

P.S. When we got home, my daughter asked for a plate of raw, crunchy veggies (carrots, cauliflower, and celery). I was even more proud of her than I was of myself! :biggrin2:

Special K – thank you for the encouraging information. I did not know that a normal first fill was 4.5 cc!!! I’m hoping my doctor follows that same practice! :smile:

Fenton is right. I am sure that most of us are doing what we should and therefore, should expect to see that infamous scale move eventually. Laying off my scale has made me less edgy. It also may have made me a little lax in eating properly – but then I’d place the blame for that anywhere other than my own lap. I have not exercised since Saturday. That’s four days of laziness. Today may make five because my baby has a recital after school/work and I have too many things to do between getting off and getting her to the recital on time to get my walk in. I guess I should pledge here and now to set up my Wii tonight. Maybe if I do that and get in a few games of tennis I can count that as exercise.

Anyway, I actually like my NSV almost as much as seeing the scale move. That lowering, hovering, (or in my case – rising) number is so concrete. But that concrete-ness could not compare to the feeling I got wearing those black jeans yesterday. I was looking good! One of the regular delivery guys went out of his way to come over and talk to me. I got the distinct feeling that he was flirting with me!!!! Ok I may be making more of it then it really was, but he reached out and touched my arm twice. He has never touched me before; and in marketing we know that people touch what they want. But even if I am wrong, I don’t care. I care that I was able to get into those jeans and I looked good. I care that I had to race for the door and I wasn’t winded. I care that I had to walk the length of my building several times yesterday I it did not make me tired and I did not cringe at the thought of having to make the walk.

So I will definitely be out there walking tomorrow and I will be playing me some Wii!

4 cc's is a normal fill??? I had my first fill on 4/15 and my doctor only gave me 2 cc's in a 10 cc band. I am reading about people having 6 to 8 cc's in a 10 cc band....should I be asking for more from my doctor? He didn't even want to give me a fill the first time I saw him as it was, I'm sure he isn't going to give me a larger fill.

Thanks for the reality check, Fenton......

I did email the doc about a fill, we'll see from there.

I'm taking the battery out of my scale today......not going to put it back in until next Friday....

I had my first fill last Friday and I only received 2.5 cc's in my 14cc band. Again, I think it must be the doctor's preference..

I had my 5 week follow up appt. yesterday and the Dr. said "no Fill"...he said he didn't want to mess with my restriction since I have been averaging 2.15 lbs a week since surgery. Has anyone else have their Dr. not fill them since they are above the average loss of 1-2 a week ? I understand his line of thinking but inside I thought can't you just fill me and maybe I could lose 2-3 a week!! Don't we always want more!!

On the First fill amount, yep, even at our hospital on the same day with the same size band, some people got 2.5 cc's and others got 4.5cc's so just trust your doctor who can tell what is best for you.

Well sais, Fenton

There will always be ups and downs. And we will learn to deal with them.

I had a great NSV the other day. At the dentist I could never lean over to the "spit" sink and hit it, I usually had most of the yuck on the "bib" they strap around your neck. But this time!!!!! I leaned over and had no problems. I felt like jumping out of the chair with glee :cool2: It felt fabulous.

This made me smile -- same problem so I always have the dental hygenist give me a small paper cup to spit in and then dump the cup. Now, the dentist I go to now has these totally comfortable exam chairs that are big enough for plus size folks like us. One dentist I went to was afraid I was going to tip the chair over when he had me reclined way back working on me... talk about embarrassing and of course the chair was narrow and pinched on my hips too.. Thank goodness for today's more modern dentist office settings.

So, yesterday was Baskin Robbins 31 cent scoop day -- a big event around here with the kids. :biggrin2:

funny you should mention this. My husband organized the local scoop night with his fire department and scooped all evening. He asked me to come take pictures for the local paper. He commented later he was very proud of me for not having any ice cream. :blushing:Oops I guess he didn't see me with my little cup. I only had half of it.

post-56885-13813666309245_thumb.png:wub::wub:

I think I have a fill tomorrow. All depends on the Drs opinions of my efforts. I hope I have a fill. I've been stalled for two weeks.

post-226636-13813137033472_thumb.jpg

Ice cream is a huge pitfall for the unwary bandster - you guys completely ROCK for resisting temptation!!!

WELL DONE!!!

Going for another fill tomorrow. My first was 3cc in my 10cc band. Every doctor is different and I think they are diferent protocols for different patients too. My doctor told me flat out the day of the fill to schedule another because "this fill will not do the job". I am looking forward to tomorrows fill.

Christine

Sent my scales on vacation last week. Gave them to my daughter; therefore, I only get to see them everyother week when I go to her house to sit the g-kids. We will see how this works!