Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged and Overwhelmed!!

Hi everyone! I am on my pre Lapband journey and feeling very overwhelmed. I have been seeing my PCP since November for my 6 month supervised WL thing and have only to date lost 10 lbs. I have been killing myself with diet and lots of exercise. I asked my dr again about her feeling of wls surgery and she was like I think you should try at least 3 more months (which is mandatory anyway) "before you put yourself through a surgery" She said it's not like you are wanting to get down to 120lbs??? I was like no but under 200 would be super. My dr is awesome but she also weighs 120 lbs wet. I just expressed to her how it is discouraging to have to deal with weight issues your whole life and never be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. She said keep up the good work and we will see at the end of three months. In the mean time I have my Lapband surgery appts going at the same time. He requires just for himself tons of testing. I have to see a pulmonologist, cardiologist, dietician, gatro dr and have a sleep study!! I know lots of you have had to do the same thing, but I also wonder how you get over the feeling of being soo overwhelmed! On top of all of that I worry that due to the fact that I have no co-morbidities and am missing 1 year of weight history due to a move out of state that I will end up being self pay. I just like lots of you have days where I wonder if all of this is worth it. I mean does it really work if you have the disicpline. Also I was looking at my super and supprotive husband and my 2 yo tonight and was like they both need me and what if I die from surgery. I know I am rambling and having some crazy thoughts. I just was wondering if anyone has any advice or has had the same thoughts. Thanks soo much. Tamara I am 5'5 and weigh 260 BMI 43

Hang in there Tamihott...just take it a step at a time and do as your doc.s request. Do it one step at a time so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. I know there are a number of us that are sitting here wondering if we will be accepted by our insurance companies. I am one of those people. I just take one day at a time. It's the same with my pre-op diet. I am starving most of the time and when I get discouraged, I just tell myself this is all worth it.

Go through the process, Tami. You will have answers in the near future and then all this waiting will be behind you. Please don't be afraid of the surgery. The lap band surgery is pretty non-invasive. I have had many surgeries and this one does not worry me at all. To put your mind at ease, keep coming back to this forum ask the questions that you need to. It has helped me just to ask one of those questions that I thought was maybe "stupid".

Good luck, keep your chin up.

The process of getting all those tests can be overwhelming. I have 5 daughters and wondered some of the same things. I shared my concern with my surgeon before surgery and was reassured. My particular group of surgeons has never lost a patient on the operating table. That made me feel much better. As for the testing process, I just walked through it, even though I wasn't sure. And I told myself all the while that I can always change my mind and not have the surgery, but at least all the tests will be out of the way if I do decide to have it. I made it through, decided to have surgery (after postponing it once), and so far I have no regrets. You have to make the right decision for you. Maybe focusing on the present moment, making it through the next step, and taking it one step at a time will ease the racing thoughts.

i feel you! i have JUST started the journey of finding a surgeon that i can afford because i'm self pay too. i'm already overwhelmed and just about ready to give up. is the surgery and weight loss really worth the months of stress??? i just don't know...

Tamihott, I spoke with a rep. at 3 insurance companies, and all told me the same thing....It's not if you lose nor how much you lose during the 6 mo. wgt loss program but if you can stick to it and show you are trying to lose.

As for the year you are missing....did you have an annual pap or mamogram, visit to the public health nurse you could provide?

Best of Luck to you hang in there!! I did and was approved!

Tamihott, I found out today that my Companies insurance will not cover any thing for obesity regardless of the health issues it may cause. Though luckily for me I am healthy other than being almost 100lbs over my weight on the height chart. I did make my decision to get banded to live a better life for me and my son… I am currently in the middle of trying to refinance my house to get my ex-husbands name off it. Once that is taken care of I am looking into getting financing for the lap band procedure.

I know after all the interest and what not this will cost me almost as much as a car lol, it’s worth it. I’ve been over weight since for 17yrs and my mother is as well I remember the shame I felt as her as a child and shame I felt/feel towards myself. I don’t want that any more and I don’t want my child to be ashamed of me either.

Good luck to all of you I really hope you can get it covered but if not you are not alone, it was very hard for me to finally make the decision that I am going to do this being that I am raising my 11month old alone. It came down to the fact that I don’t want to end up losing my life to my weight or not being able to be there for my son because I was to over weight. Just take it one day at a time, good news is you got a pretty cool support group on here to go through this ever step of the way.

Thanks everyone for the word of encouragement! I love this site and it does help me through the rough days like today. I wish us all the best of luck and hopes for quick insurance approval!