Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Banded =0/ (LONG POST)

Hi,

This is how my surgery day went... I got up at 4am, in order to get to the hospital by 6am. I wasn't all that nervous as I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopicly when I was 14 so I had already experienced the gas pains and all that. So I get to the room and get changed, the nurse comes in and has to take some blood, then I get the dreaded IV :laugh: After that the Dr. comes in and talks to me for a few minutes and asks if I have any questions. I didn't, next up was the anesthesiologists, he was real nice, he started talking about the tube that was going to be put into my throat, he said that I needed to breathe in and out deeply in order for them to remove it. I said ok and put it in my mind to breathe in and out from that point on. From there I went down to the pre-op room where I had a male nurse who reminded me of John Waters... really weird. Anyways they checked all my papers and gave me something to relax me as they took my into the operating room. Once in there they said I was going on a magic carpet ride, there was this thing underneath me that they hooked up to air and it inflated and helped them slide me onto the table. So the last thing I remember is "John Waters" saying wasn't that fun.

Next thing I know I hear someone saying my name loudly and telling me to breathe. I feel the tube and I'm starting to get a little upset, but my eyes won't stay open, everytime I close them I hear someone telling me to breathe again. Finally I keep my eyes open and start breathing the way they need me to, all I can say was I didn't experience that with my gallbladder surgery and to me it hurt. At sometime they gave me a xray and said that my one lung wasn't fully back to normal so I had to have breathing treatments and I had to use that thing that measured your breaths (starts with a v.. not sure the name of it) After the tube was out a new nurse gave me something for pain and showed my a little device that was clipped to my IV that had a button that I was to push if I had any pain. After that I was taken to my room which was a private one thank goodness :lol: I had some things on the bottom of my legs that would inflate and deflate, which felt really good. I met my nurses and had my temp, and blood pressure taken, and a shot in my stomach to prevent blood clots. After that I went to sleep for a little bit until the Dr. came in, he said it only took him 40 minutes to do my surgery (I don't know if that matters or not). He said if I passed a swallow test in the morning I could go home and be on "slushy" foods until I see him on the 29th.

I got up and walked a couple times, and I kept trying to figure out why every nurse was surprised that I didn't have a drain?? I didn't have nothing but Water and ice chips all night, but for once in my life I'll say I wasn't hungry at all. All night I had nurses check my temp, blood pressure and I had some more of those blood thinner shots.

Ok time for the swallow test. I went down to xray and had it done.. mine was done with that nasty chalky stuff, it wasn't as thick as normal but it still tasted nasty. :thumbup: I must have passed because when I got back upstairs I had Breakfast waiting. It was juice, milk, scrambled eggs, cream of wheat and Decaf coffee. I ate the eggs, drank some of the juice and most of the milk. I was told that I would be getting released so I called my ride. Next thing I know it's lunch time. I had decaf coffee, something I guess you could call Soup (NASTY), pureed chicken, chocolate pudding and ice cream. I ate some of the chicken, a few spoonfuls of the pudding and all of the little ice cream (bad me.. lol). Finally I get released and I'm pissed, the Dr. had given me a script for Ultram and those have never worked for me. I complain they get ahold of him and he says to take Tylenol!!! I'm very upset about it because I feel horrible but I just said whatever because I wanted to get out of there.

Now I'm at home and I'm miserable. I've read alot of you having problems going to the bathroom after surgery... well not me. It's been diarrhea since I got home. I guess most of it would have to do with me only drinking/eating liquids. I've been sticking to Tomato Soup, until I switched to a small amount of cheese eggs so I would have some Protein.

I feel really overwhelmed right now, I had diabetes and high blood pressure before I went in and I was on oral meds for both. They switched me onto insulin, along with 1 of my oral meds and I am very unhappy. I had no idea how to give a shot and all that so I had to get a fast lesson before I left the hospital. They kept me on my blood pressure pills, and I also take Cymbalta. The one diabetes pill I take is Metformin and it's a horse pill, I've been crushing it and trying to put it with food but its totally nasty no matter what I use. And then by the time I get it taken I don't want to eat because I'm full :laugh: I am having some port pain, and I'm annoyed that I can't lay on my right side which was how I always slept, so I'm uncomfortable no matter how I lay down. I've been taking the Tylenol which isn't that bad, maybe I got the wrong kind (Cherry Adult Rapid Release). And I've been having gas pain of course, I've been taking gas-x for that but I can't say that I've really noticed any difference in it decreasing.

My Dr. has said that after my visit on the 29th if it goes well I can go onto normal foods... does that sound right to anyone? It seems to me like this is going too fast. Sorry my post was sooo long.... I'm going to get going I have to take my sugar. :lol:

Shel,

1. The past is the past. You need to move on and forget that past experience. You have now started a new healthy life and you need the positive reinforcement to become successful.

2. You are normally supposed to listen to your doctor when it comes to the eating part. Yes, it does seem to be going quite fast with what he is telling you to eat. The eggs even freaked me out at the hospital because I could only get down 3 spoonfuls of Soup. I didn't stay over night though, I was in and out of the hospital in 4 hours.

3. Only take your pain meds if absolutely necessary. They will cause Constipation. Your stomach is probably upset and while eating the scrambled eggs, do you think it is the grease from the butter or oil that you are using to scramble them? I would stay away from greasy foods right now. You can take a little pepto to help you with that. If you are experiencing gas pains it is normal from the anesthesia.

4. sleeping will be a bit difficult because I used to sleep that way also. I grabbed a pillow to put somewhat under my right side. This may help a bit. Your port may be painful up to 4-6 wks. Scar tissue will be forming and this is normal.

Just remember this is all for the better and think positive. I didn't have many co-morbitities but I remember my first month I lost 34 lbs. and the pain and burning in my knees went away and the discoloration on my feet went away also in which I heard that was the beginning of diabetes.

Only sweet thoughts,

Josephine

Shel,

I'm sorry you have had such an upsetting experience. Hang in there it does get better. I am a bit surprised that you got real food in the hospital. I was on Clear Liquids for ten days and only today got a scrambled egg. Every doctor is different and you have to do what yours tells you to do.

Take it easy and get as much rest as you can. Walking helps a lot too. In a couple of weeks most of the pain will be gone and you will be losing weight.

Just think how excited you'll be in a few months when you don't have to take ANY diabetes or blood pressure meds! I'm happy for you!

Wow Shel, your experience sounded awful, hope you are doing better now. I can't imagine all that. I had mine 3 days before you. Mine went well when I got back to my room I had an IV with fluids and pain meds. I was out of it basically till the next day. My incissions still hurt, not horrid but they are uncomfortable. The port the worst of course. On Day 2 I went shopping so I could get some walking in but I was on pain meds so it wasn't too bad. lol I quit all pain meds on day 4.

My diet is/was: Clear Liquids for the first 3 days and then (now) day 4 thru day 14 purreed foods thin enough to go thru a straw (i don't have to use the straw), then day 15 thru day 30 is soft mush foods, day 31 and on is regular foods. I feel actually really good and i get full really quick and have lost 8 pounds.

So sorry to hear about the crushed yucky meds you have, can't they get it in a liquid or anthing like that for you? It will be so nice when you are off that one for sure.

I'm hoping the worst is over for you though and keep us posted on your progress!

good luck. :blushing:

Hugs,

Jeanie

weight.png