Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux question

I think I experienced acid reflux last night for the first time ever in my life. I kept waking up with gurgling stomach sounds and had to keep swallowing down stuff. It didn't really seem that acidic but today I have a sore throat and my stomach feels irritated and swollen.

I just had a fill Friday, and it is a tight one. But, I've been fine the past four days and the swelling from the fill had reduced, I have been able to eat solid food (fish and veggies and even some chicken breast). Yesterday I took an Iron tablet and it got stuck in my stoma and stayed there until it dissolved. I think it was about 4 hours before it seemed gone. I know that Iron is a stomach irritant and just having something be stuck is also.....

I guess I am looking for advice since I'm not sure that I got acid reflux due to a too-tight fill. My inclination is to wait another day or two, I am taking it easy on non-acidic liquids and will see how I do tonight. If I get acid reflux again I think I will have them do a slight unfill. Do you think this is wise, or like how long do you "wait it out" with the acid reflux before you have them take some out? And is there anything else I should do to soothe my stomach/throat?

If it was from a too-tight fill wouldn't I have gotten it immediately, rather than after the fill-swelling went down and such? Sorry for the dumb questions but I really have no experience with acid reflux. All I know is that it totally sucks and I don't want it to happen again.

On that note... does anyone know of any teeny-tiny iron supplements? The one that got stuck was already pretty small...

There are 3 things you can do. First, take an antacid like prilosec or zantac. Second, don't eat late at night. Stay away from foods many hours before bed. Third, is an unfill. It is very common to get acid reflux if you are a bit too tight. How much did they put in when you went in for a fill? When I had acid reflux .3ccs out did the trick. Good luck.

Thanks Julie. They only put in .2cc on Friday, but I already had decent restriction. Really it was just a tweak of a fill. I took prevacid before I ate yesterday and took it easy on liquids. Last night I noticed I kind of had a lot of little burps and some stomach gurgling but it didn't seem like reflux. I ate about 4 hours before bed so that seemed to help.

The other factors are now I have my TOM and am getting rid of the Water I was retaining.. and I also seem to have picked up a cold or something. The sore throat I thought was from the reflux moved up into my sinuses and lymph nodes and the whole body hurts...

I think I might be ok since I didn't get it last night but it's so hard with all this other stuff going on with my poor body.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions. I'm just going to have to keep an eye on myself and be careful and take it day by day.

They make tons of meds in chewables now, and Iron is one of them. But if you take a Flintstones Vitamin every day, they make a Flintstones with Iron, too!

Although I had acid reflux every day of my life bb (Before Band), I've only had one instance since--and it was a day on which I had a tomato-sauce product for dinner and then some chocolate in the evening (I honestly don't have chocolate very often...honest...). The combination of the two threw my stomach into overdrive!

That being said, sounds like yours may be a fill issue--so I'd do just what you plan to do--lay low for a few days on safe liquids and soft food and try again this weekend.

Good luck to you! :tongue2:

Thanks for the tip! I've been thinking of going back to Flintstones since they have the Iron, but I had switched to Kirkland children's chewables a while ago and they taste so much better. And I take 4 a day. Maybe I can find a good chewable iron supplement. I just didn't think they had that for some reason, I don't know why. If I can't find that, it's back to Fred and Wilma. :)

Snogirl, before I responded to you I went to my favorite shopping website, Ebay, to be sure they made chewable Iron tablets and found some there (but they DO sound ucky, don't they?!!) You know, I may just switch to Flintstones with Iron--it can't hurt!! :)

I posted my experience elsewhere but will do so here again - I had a nice fill for about 6 months then it tightened up unexpectedly resulting in throat clearning/drainage that took months for me to determine WAS reflux. Reflux is and can be a definite sign of a too tight band and should be immediately checked out- a slight unfill early can save major complications down the line. I wouldn't wait - I did and spent three nights in fear I had slipped my band - I now have a commplete unfill and resting things for at least 6 weeks. please please please be cautious.

Your band might be to tight. Be careful for esophagitis, it is a common issue with band patients. My dr put me on nexium it was not working so he added Carafate (which is a liquid). I figured out by process of elimination, cinnamon was casuing my isse. I can't eat anything spicy. They recommend you open your band take nexium for a month then get it refilled.

Some days I can't even swallow Water. Now that I figured out what causes it, I don't have to take the medicine daily.

keep a log of what you eat and see if it is a certain food.