Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kareyquilts TT, BL, Lipo & BA

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be taking my huge antidepressant pill. It's huge! But it's the one that they tell me not to crush.

Well, my PS doc said I could start walking, so today I hit the trail. Before my PS, I walked this trail everyday for 3 to 4 miles. I could hardly go 1 mile. My tummy starting hurting and my hip was burning. I have some nerve damage on my hip from the Lipo. I swear it was burning down to my foot. I don't know if that's a good thing, meaning the nerve is beginning to regenerate or what. What a disappoint. I thought I would be able to go at least 2 miles. I think I will try for 1 more mile later this afternoon. I've got to get myself built back up. This is almost as bad as after the LB surgery. Anyone else have experience with this?

I had some burning, but nothing like you're describing. Mine was more localized. It went away pretty quickly also. Like in a day or so.

I know you really want to get yourself in shape and to have lots of stamina, karey, but please take it easy. Starting out with a mile is a lot!

If I can play the mother hen for a minute, I would suggest that you not go so far right at first. I think you would be better off if you would only do a fairly slow-paced, relatively short walk for a while. Your body will allow you to gradually increase your time and mileage. You should listen to the signals that your body is giving you. This isn't like when you hadn't had recent surgery and you were trying to get in shape. You can cause internal scarring, adhesions, etc.

Of course if your doc has told you to do more, he's the boss! (I'm only your muther.)

BJean: You are a great "muther!" Sounds like my mom. I guess I'm just worried that I'm going to lose all the muscle that I've worked so hard to build. Worried I'll gain weight too. My appetite's picked up and I'm only filled slightly. Can't really tell that I have my band right now. I'm trying to watch the ole diet, as you know, there are temptations everywhere! Are you still doing Medifast? How's that going?

Medifast is going well for my DH - who doesn't have the band. I lost 10 lbs. but the soy Protein had such an adverse effect on my system, I wasn't fit for human company. Well, not sure my dogs wanted to be near me either. They had about 2 or 3 items that were whey Protein that didn't bother me, but I found that I couldn't survive on chicken Soup and a mango tea. At least I found that I didn't want to survive if I only had that to dine on.

I'm back at trying to do it just me and my band. Oddly enough, I had a small amount of restriction - could eat but not overeat - and I decided to get a fill. After that, I have less restriction than before! So, I'm going for another fill tomorrow. I don't know if doc made a mistake or if my exercise program is causing me to lose fat in the band area. I wouldn't complain about that!

Good luck with getting your bod where you want it. You'll do it. I just worry that you're going to cause yourself some harm and if that happens, you definitely won't be able to exercise like you were pre-surgery. I know how it feels to panic, thinking you're going to gain weight! But your body may be trying to repair itself and it is making you crave more calories. You can eat a whole lot of veggies and some fruit without gaining weight. You know you just have to keep those things handy.

Healthy Choice makes a mean fudgecicle that is very satisfying. And I"m learning that if I make sure that everything I eat is 100 calories or less, it is easier to keep track of how much I'm taking in. My biggest problem is doing what I'm recommending to you: veggies and fruit.

Hang in there girl. It seems like it takes forever to get slim and trim again, but a few months is a small investment for the rest of your life!!

Karey, I need an update. How are you doing? How are the walks coming along? My surgery is 2 weeks away. I'm excited but nervous putting on too many lbs. I had an unfilll the other day and my calories are definitley up. Any words of encouragement?

Julie: Wow your TT is coming up! Very exciting! I would do what BJean recommends and fill up on good things, like fruit and veggies. I'm trying that myself. I am feeling pretty good. My hormones are out of whack, but I'm working with my doc on that. I just starting walking again and it's a slow process. I'm trying to take it easy, but it's hard. My body lets me know when I've done too much. I think our bodies are remarkable, amazing things. Mine has really wanted to heal and it's doing a good job. I'm down to a size 8 and my original compression garment that they gave me in the hospital is alittle loose. I'm getting use to my new breasts and trying to find a fun dress to wear to MD's wedding. On the whole, life is good!

Hi Karey, I am so happy. Let me tell you. There is another thread out there that keep telling me that I am not at a healthy weight. I am totally fine in a size 14/16 and 200 lbs. My surgeon is totally happy with me. I have lost 75% of my excess weight. Who cares if I'm not a size 12! I am so stoked. I bought a new size 16 tankini this weekend that is so cute. After surgery I may go down to a size 14 and I'm totally fine with that being a 5'8" frame! I don't need to be in the norm! I am fine with that. I use to weigh 320 lbs!

Julie: Sounds like your doing great! I wouldn't worry about what other people think. If your PS thinks you're ready for surgery, I say GO FOR IT!

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be taking my huge antidepressant pill. It's huge! But it's the one that they tell me not to crush.

I take thyroid med's which cannot be crushed. Even though the pill is tiny it seems to irritate and cause swelling when i take it whole. I have found that by breaking it in half or quarters, I can more easily take it without compromising the effectiveness of the pill. I must take this pill 1st thing in the am on an empty stomach.

2bslim: Are you taking synthroid? I take it everyday and I just chew it up in my mouth, as per, my doc's instructions. It doesn't have much taste. So not a hard thing to do!

Just got back from a business/pleasure meeting in Puerto Rico. My DH and I had a great time. It fun to get in a bathing suit and not feel too self-conscious. I love my new tummy! Was able to go sea kayacking to a biolumcient bay (at night). It was a cool experience. Was worried about my muscle repair, but was able to row with out too much trouble. I guess I need to get back to regular exercise. I've been walking every day, but that's it. Busy with my DD's wedding. Will post some scar pictures soon.

Forget scar pics. I want to see those vacation pics with you in a bathing suit.

I think I remember you being so worried you wouldn't be healed enough to travel and there you were kayaking and all. You go girl!

karey! That sounds really wonderful. I'm so glad the trip turned out well. It sounds even better than you expected.

I'll bet kayaking isn't as hard on those healing muscles than if you were in an actual row boat. Since your lower body is encased it forces you to really use your upper body. But it could be the opposite - I've never been kayaking. I always thought I'd be too claustrophobic to be confined in that way, but if you're not in white Water it probably doesn't feel as scary.

I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to have a pool party and actually wear a swimsuit in front of people. I always just let everybody else swim and I worry with the food and drinks, towels, etc. And I melt from the heat.

I've lost a little more weight, finally, and I am getting very encouraged again. My breakthrough was learning that I can use a recumbent bike even though my knees are so bad. I'm also doing upper body weights and I think that is what is doing the trick. My exercize physiologist says that even if you can't do a full free weight work out, doing the upper body will build up enough lean muscle that you'll definitely burn more calories. I was hesitant initially because I didn't realize that you can do your upper body without standing. I've even started sitting on an exercise ball when I do some of the exercises which is supposed to help your inner core become centered.

Have you thought about adding upper body exercise with weights? Walking helps a lot when you're not doing anything, but when you've been so used to a good exercise routine, it doesn't seem to actually burn much. If you do just your upper body, you shouldn't be doing any damage to your abdomen.

The wedding plans must be getting exciting... it's next month, right? What kind of cake have you ordered? Do you ever watch the ACE of CAKES on TV? Some of the ones you see in the background when he's sitting and talking are fabulous. Too big for many weddings, but very cool.