Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Joen,

I think each individually person is different depending on their age, how long they have been overweight, how overweight they are etc. I had one doctor tell me that because I have been overweight my entire life I would most likely have saggy skin and would need plastic surgery, but I had another doctor tell me that because I'm still fairly young (27) my skin should still go back and I shouldn't have a problem. I think your best bet is to lose weight and find out! :unsure:

I lost 70+ pounds when I was in my twenties and my skin bounced right back. I don't expect that to happen now. I'm 40, and my lower stomach is very saggy (sorry for the graphic image:ohmy:). I expect I'll need a Tummy Tuck eventually.

Every individual is different. I will need a TT, however, I probably could have used one many years ago prior to losing weight. Following the birth of my first child, my stomach "fell" towards the ground...there was no bouncing back and at the time I was 26 years old. So...some people have great elasticity (sp?) in their skin and others don't (I obviously don't).

Good luck with your weight loss.

I couldn't give a coons butt about my tummy becuase I can cover that with most clothing and wear "things" to hold me in. But my arms are another story. It's hot here in south Texas, and short or sleeveless shirts are worn almost year round. I'm starting to see the puckered loose skin on my arms and I don't think it's going to go away. At 48 I tend to doubt it. I've heard that plastic surgery for arms is a little tricky and many times not very successful. They have to pull and tuck it up in your underarm. A long cut down the length of your upper arm would leave a scar that could easily be seen. My "National Geographic" boobs are not real attractive either. Hopefully Victoria's Secret push up bras will help.....LOL

honestly, and no offense intended, i know a lot of people who rush into plastics, when in all hoenstly, the skin is SO thin that having that much hanging skin can not possibly be all skin, there is still fat under there. So working out and waiting at least 18 months to 2 years or more is your BEST bet to see how much SKIN you actually have. A lot of times the skin is not nearly as bad as it could be. I have no been banded yet, but my best friend is a year and a half out of her gb and has been working out every day since she was cleared to do so. Her skin is not bad AT all! The only plastics she will likely need is her breasts, and for a while there...the skin looked awful. So just keep working at it, and give it some time. I am hoping and praying that I won't have to have a Tummy Tuck, but I KNOW that i will have to have augmentation or a lift done on my breasts.

I just had my PS consult, and yes I do have sagging skin along with remaining fat in my belly.

I am at a point it is a problem--today--not in another year or 2. As the fullness in my stomach has reduced, it has dropped. Now it irritates underneath it, the skin actually breaks down, and becomes infected. I have had the Dr. prescribe ointments, I have tried everything over the counter from lotions, to powders, to deodorant, to athletes foot cream, to yeast infection ointments. I had no serious problem clearing the wound up, and it healing...IF I allowed it to receive plenty of air, and I quit irritating it.

The problem is, to do any type of exercise irritates it! If I ride my bike or the elliptical, it bounces my stomach up and down---first day I am ok, second day the skin with tear. Then I am sidelined for 4-5 days while I allow it to heal, I deal with the pain of it, do not get any work outs in, and sit in a chair reclined with my belly open to the air.....real exciting!!!

If I try the compression as opposed to allowing it to move---then it breaks out in a heat type rash, and instead of being in one spot where the skin tears--------it is the entire width of my stomach, and on my groin/thigh area---where my legs attach to my body.

I have lost weight everywhere, my hips are thin....my legs very thin....my only remaining problem is my stomach, and I am limited in how much I can do without injuring myself. I could reduce the calorie intake, and risk malnutrition.....but the goal here is to be active, and be healthy! My remaining fat, and skin on my stomach alone stop that.

My PS surgeon agreed completely. He said any more weight loss might leave me a slightly looser skin feel, but not one that would interfere in my daily life as this is.

Now if insurance comes through like they say they are-------it is gone! I would bet without the alien on my stomach I would drop 2 sizes easily! I wear a 14 now, and the bottom and legs sag....but I need it to cover my belly.

I am ready for it to be gone and be able to walk and exercise again at will! Not in 1-2 years! I would be regaining weight I would bet! Right now I feel very healthy----and this is my only deterrent to staying active.

Kat

I have lost 105 lbs and I need at Tummy Tuck. My arms should be done too but I don't want the scars. I have worked out with a trainer so it definitley is not laziness. Good luck.