Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tenacious tens-what are your intolerable foods so far

i know that we each are different, but i am curious to see how we are all reacting to different foods.

i have 7 cc's in my band and although i do pb often, (just got restriction), i have only found a couple of things that i cannot tolerate:

captain d's fish----- that was the most awful experience of being banded. i did not pb, i ate 1/2 fillet of fish and 2 french fries, 5 minutes later (everything went down fine), i'm drooling, unable to breath, and have a for real vomit. not a pb. i'm now completely turned off by the thought of fish....from captian d's.

mcdonald's cinnamon melt---- ok, so i know that i am not supposed to have these. i used to eat them at least twice a week before surgery and i had not had one since. well, this morning, i'm stressed over my son (sick) and running him a around, and i stop at mcd's to get him a sprite, and i fall to my weakness and order one of these. well, that was an hour ago, i only had 3 bites, and i am still sliming.

turkey breast lunch meat------ almost as bad as the fish incident

other than that, i can eat chicken, steak, hamburger meat, lettuce, cheese, bread, oranges, bananas, green Beans...everything that i have tried.

what about you? ---you may want to share you restriction level too because that makes a difference, i am pretty tight right now.

7.4cc in 10cc Band (5fills) - decent restriction & Have never PB'd. I can eat everything but Breads/Crackers - especially Melba Toast. This last fill has been a "kicker".

I can't eat anything before noon. It takes me all morn to get my pills down with slim fast. Around noon I can only eat yogurt, applesause etc. By 3 pm I can eat absolutely anything. I'm hungry all aft and eat too much. Night time pills go down with no problem. I wish the restriction could even itself out!

Great thread! I have 5.7cc's in a 10cc band. I'm EXTREMELY tight. I find it difficult to eat almost anything before 4pm. Protein shakes and broth are about all I can handle. Night time is also a challenge - I might need a slight unfill.

Here are my big NO-NO's (no matter what time of day it is!)

1. rice (seems to just expand in my pouch)

2. chicken (all types!)

3. steak (all types!)

4. doughy bread

My staples:

1. Protein Shakes

2. cottage cheese

3. ground turkey

4. fat free frozen yogurt (at least 1 per day!)

5. Peanut Butter

Like I said, I probably need an unfill. It's so hard to find that "sweet spot". I miss real food, but, like the results of restriction.

I'm very curious to see what everyone else says!

Before my last fill I could eat almost anything if I went slow. The only problem food I had was rice(my first and worst PB).

Now I'm so tight I usually don't eat much before noon. I start with hot coffee or tea. If its a loose day I might try part of a Protein bar, or tiny bit of eggs or cheese.

Ground beef and chicken in a can are all the meats I have been able to eat. bread and tortillas are also a no go.

Thus far I've only had one "stuck" feeling and that was with a pill after my first fill. No pb's, no throwing up...

I was very cautious going back in to solid food for a few months. Especially with foods commonly mentioned as problematic. Like, lettuce, rice, soft bread, orange/citrus membrane, meats and so on.

Some things don't sit well but nothing extreme has resulted. Like raw carrots are a no no and I avoid dry meat, so I use a lot of Condiments like ketchup and mustard.

I've been VERY conscious about CHEWING well and slowly. This has helped. I can tell somethign doesn't sit right when I havne't chewed enough.

I have 1.2 CC's in a 4 CC band. some restriction so far, I think the max I can ingest at one time is 1 - 1.5 cups volume depending on the item. but I still feel like i'm eating too much.

I can not tolerate any bread type of products (bread, tortilla, Pasta, cakes, and so on). I can't even take one little baby bit! The pain and pressure I feel from it lasts 25 plus mins. The experience(s) was so awful, I won't even look at this stuff in a store. The other issues I have are potatoes or anything fried with oil. I guess it is best for me- but I am scared to death of those foods now.

I have never PB'd - thank goodness.

I only have trouble with doughy bread. The only other thing I had once was caught in the car I had a Junior Veggie Burger - half the bun only, but my mistake was that I kept sipping the drink and overloaded. I've not had that since coz I leave the drinks LOL!

I have no issues with meat as I'm vegetarian and so far can eat meat substitutes fine, and salads as long as I chew well.

I still can't work out why the tightness is so great initially after a fill, and then eases off so much after 2 weeks! Does anyone know? :)

coo, it has a lot to do with your stomach muscles adjusting to the tightness, losing some of the fat pad around your stomach (with weight loss), and evaporation within the band.

my doctor says, imagine putting your finger around a sponge and squeezing and squeezing until you can't squeeze anymore. you think you are to that point, but then you can squeeze more. that is how your stomach is, it takes a while for the tissue to get to a point where it does not move around and stays tight. not to mention that each time we lose weight we are also losing the fat pad around our stomach.

It also has to do with some people stoma (area of tissue within the band) swell a bit from the irritation (squeezing) when the band is increased. Each person body's act different.

PB'ing... is an awful experience for me. The end result is that I end up completely fearful of ever trying that type of food again.

I don't have much in my 10cc band- 1cc. I have good restriction in the morning. I can still eat everything most evenings except when I have more restriction with stress or during my monthly. Then I just need to slow down and chew even more.

coo, it has a lot to do with your stomach muscles adjusting to the tightness, losing some of the fat pad around your stomach (with weight loss), and evaporation within the band.

Thanks for the explanation - I knew about the fat, but I didn't understand the rest, and your sponge analogy really helps.

I still find it strange that our restriction "suddenly" lessens and wears off a bit as the weight loss isn't huge in those four days for me!

Thanks again :tt2:

coo, i totally relate. although i've had this fill now for 2 weeks and it is not easing up on me. but the first few, well, all the sudden one day i was loose and that was that. i'm not sure why it happens so fast, but they say that the smallest difference in the stomach makes a huge difference in what we can eat.

i'm pretty tight right now with my **supposed to be but not *** tom, yesterday i could only get in 400 calories, 4 ounces yogurt for Breakfast, 1/4 cheeseburger for lunch, and 1 1/2 chicken nuggets for dinner(and a donut..i know i know)...nothing else. i keep waiting for that day whenever i'm able to eat whatever, but it isn't happening yet.

now this morning, i was able to eat my entire Breakfast bar where last week i could only eat 3/4, but i still can't pass the 1/2 sandwich test (which means i need a fill) so...

yesterday, i had a weak moment ..i was starving...and i had nothing at work to eat, so i had a donut. AWFUL. my body was trying to pb, but nothing was coming up. i'm in the bathroom drooling and coughing and choking and nothing would come up.

still not as bad as the fish, but no more donuts.

Oh, man - so I'm not the only one fallen off the wagon this week.

Apart from a fight with my husband, its been three days of eating crap. He bought me cakes 3 days in a row. The first day I said, lovely, what a treat. The second day, OMG, my favourite caramel slice. But the 3rd day, I had to point out he had just sabotaged me. I have his full support, but I couldn't believe the food just kept coming :thumbup:

So I blew it today too. I soooooooo don't want to be on the roundabout again.

Onwards and upwards they say :)

You aren't alone. Family gatherings are awful becuase of all the sabatage that happens. My family knows my weakness and will provide plenty of it. It is hard to remain strong...

Perhaps, maybe you should take to your husband to find out why he feels he needs to bring home all your weaknesses. Just and idea.