Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone gone off coffee?

I was a coffee addict until 6 months ago. I was on about 10+ cups per day. I switched to de-caf to help with sleep problems. I had also reduced my intake.

I was banded on 12th Feb and have had maybe 2 cups per day and have not been able to finish any. By half way it tastes bitter. Tea is just the same.:)

Anyone else with this problem?

good day yes i loved my coffee 3 cups in moring a mug for the ride to work. now like you 1/2 cups the taste is o.k. but it gets cold before i can drink a cup. thinking of getting a lil hot plate. love ice coffee hate room temp coffee.

I drink regular coffee every morning, I don't have an after taste, but I don't care to drink as much as I use to. Do you use artificial sweeteners?

No I can't stand them, just half a spoon of sugar.

Did anyone have caffienne withdraw while in the hospital. I have a triple shot vanilla latte every morning plus a couple of cups of regular coffee throughout the day and I am dreading a caffienne withdraw headache. Maybe i shouldnt since there will be pain meds for the procedure available. Did you go through withdraw?

Coming from a avid coffee drinker (have had to give it up a few times over the years) best advice I can give is wean your self off. The one time I had to stop drinking then and there I had horrific headaches. Never will do that again. As it gets closer to my surgery date (not set YET) I am slowing dropping my coffee consumption down bit by bit that way when surgery rolls around I will either be off it completely or down to so little that not having any wont bug me (cept for the mental thing LOL)

Hi All! I use to be an avid coffee drinker but only with tons of sugar and cream. Would have a cup before going to work, would then go to Starbucks every day while at work and order a vente americano, then come home in the pm and drink more (I think Starbucks superpumps-up their drinks with caffine). Started to have reactions to all that coffee, like uncontrolable runs, bladder spasms & rashes. Personally, I think caffine is a drug and should be looked at as such. We don't even allow our children to drink it. And all the foods that caffine is in, too - like peppermint! I, too, have given up coffee for months at a time and have felt better so it wasn't too difficult for me to give it up for surgery. I plan on never going back to it. Coffee's always been a weight loss killer for me. Being banded on Tuesday 12/19 (the light is at the end of the tunnel)

12 days before surgery I stopped cold. Was driking 3-4 cups a day and at least 48 oz. strong iced tea each day. I knew that one week prior to surgery I couldn't take anymore advil which is the only thing that works for me for headache. So, I quit, had a throbbing headache for one week and felt like barfing, took the advil and one week out from surgery I was good to go. I will not go back as I never want to go through that again. Just not worth it. Even Decaf withdrawls are bad for me.

marieze

Yes! I was a 2 strong cups in the morning then another 2 or 3 during the day person. Now, since being banded on Feb 4, I can't stand the taste and it does seem bitter. I used to drink tea also and it doesn't taste the same either.

I had really bad headaches the first week too.

Preband, I used to drink a lot of coffee

It's odd, but coffee fills me up really quick. I can drink about 1/2 cup and thats it. I love it, but I find myself only making a cup of coffee about once a week, then I don't drink the entire cup.

I don't miss it anymore. I did at first, but now I don't even think about having a morning cup of coffee, which used to be a vital part of my morning routine :cheers2:

Funny you should mention this - I just told someone today that i haven't drank a WHOLE cup of coffee since my surgery (I was banded on the 5th of this month).....I have tried, but I just don't have a "taste" for it any more....... I think this is a good thing, as the de-caf just doesn't do it for me anyway ---- (I've even tried a cup of regular - with no success, I just don't want it for some reason....