Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New from NorCal

Hi-

I live in Northern CA and am thinking about surgery. I've been struggling with my weight since I was about 6 or 7 and went on my first diet at 13. A few years ago, I decided that I wasn't going to diet any more but just listen to my body and see what happens. I think my relationship with food is much better than it used to be because of that, but my weight hasn't changed.

Until recently I was one of those people who are prejudiced about this surgery. It seemed like cheating. But two things happened.

First, my neighbor got it and not only has he lost weight, but he looks so much HEALTHIER. You can see he has more energy and his face isn't so red any more. I was really impressed by that.

Secondly, I realized that my body lies to me and tells me it's hungry when it can't possibly be. As long as that happens, I'll never be able to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF. I am not the kind of person who sits down and eats a bag of chips. I eat very small, healthy meals. I just eat about 4-6 of them a day plus constant snacking. It seems like every two hours my body thinks it's hungry and just having a nibble of something isn't enough.

So I've decided to get the surgery and thought that was the easy part. Until I came here! :thumbup: Now my head is spinning with all the different kinds of surgery, how to pick a doctor, etc. I'm also worried now that I won't be covered by insurance ... I didn't realize how many people self-pay for this insurance and how many on the edge of the guidelines (like I think I might be) don't qualify.

I'm counting on you guys to help guide me through...

Hi and welcome to LBT! Unfortunately, there are many insurances that still do not cover lapband, but will cover other types of wls. It is truly very frustrating. But, if your insurance does not cover, there are many ways out there to finance and pay for your surgery available to you.

The band will definitely help you with hunger issues. You stay full much longer after meals. Drinking plenty of Water between meals also helps. Sometimes, your body fools you into thinking you are hungry, when what you really are is thirsty.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have any questions.

Ooh, I like your Avatar!

I have lots and lots of questions. Before I came here, I thought I had actually done my research. :)

i am also from no ca. i was banded 1/17/08 at first i felt like a failure because i couldnt do it myself. now i am so proud of myself for doing this. it's only been 3 weeks and 23 pounds but i feel sooooo much better and have hope that i can really do this. at least check in to it and see what they have to offer! good luck!