Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AlkaSeltzer Cold & Flu

I have not been banded yet (hopefully soon), but I had Strep Throat last week, on top of the antibiotics and all, Alka Seltzer Cold and Flu was the ONLY thing that made me feel better, and I started wondering if the bubbles are like carbonation - and if it would be a no-no after surgery.

Anyone know?

i don't know, but i'm posting so i can find out the answer.

i've wondered that too..i can drink flattened over ice for 5 minutes, so i bet i could do the same with alka seltzer.

Another thing that I would look into is Cold and Flu having aspirin in it. That is how I finally found out that I was allergic to aspirin when I ended up in the emergency room after taking it. That has been years ago and they could have changed their formula since then. My doc strongly disagrees with aspirin and NSAID usage and the band!

Wendy, Well I don't know about this for sure, make sure to talk to your surgeon, but I do know that everyone's surgeon tells them something different cos' mine told me I could drink carbonated drinks as long as they are NO CARB (ie. diet soda). So I've been drinking them since surgery with NO problems whatsoever. What I do is pour the glass before sitting down for the meal, but leave it in the kitchen (so that I don't reach for it while eating - that's a no-no according to my surgeon) and then by the time I wait the 20 minutes after the last bite is swallowed it's perfect to drink (all the bubbles have calmed down). So, I would think that the same reasoning would work for the Alka-Seltzer too. Hope this helps. Be well. KKG

Just wondering how effective the medicine would be as I thought that what helped your tummy settle WAS because of the bubbles??? Hopefully a Dr. will post or someone who has already asked a Dr.

There were only a few hard and fast ABSOLUTE RESTRICTIONS-- two as I recall--and no carbonation was one. No soda pop. No champagne. and I was told I could drink my AIRBORNE after it was flat, by the surgical practice nurse.

You need to google carbonation and lapband and it will explain why this is absolutely critical. It can really mess up the band and your stomach. Heck, tell your doctor who said you could have no carb soda pop to google it for you an the rest of his patients.

I am amazed.

found this online that says no bubbles:

What Happens After Adjustable Gastric Lap-Band Surgery?

By Tracee Cornforth

When you are ready to leave the hospital, you may receive a visit from the hospital dietitian who will go over the required diet for Lap-Band patients. It’s important to fully understand the Lap-Band diet before you decide on this type of weight loss surgery. The first 3 to 4 days following Adjustable Gastric Lap-Band surgery patients must follow a clear liquid diet. Failure to follow the prescribed diet can cause complications such as band erosion or slippage that require additional surgery.

If you are a regular coffee, tea, or soda drinker you should be aware that no caffeine is permitted for the first three months after surgery. Carbonated beverages; both diet and regular may cause gas, bloating, and an increase in stomach size due to the carbonation and are not recommended at any time for Lap-Band patients. Hope this helps........

If you are a regular coffee, tea, or soda drinker you should be aware that no caffeine is permitted for the first three months after surgery.

Oh now that will kill me, I am a regular coffee drinker, black no cream no sugar .. just plain .. 1/2 a pot a day ...

I go cry now ...

I am over it ... lets see ..... over weight vs. giving up coffee .... no contest ... Gonna make the hubby stop drinking too. Only fair ...

Pix - You're post really made me laugh. I made hubby give up soda so I wouldn't have to suffer alone too! (He lost 11 pounds in the first 13 days while I was sipping my liquids!)

Don't give up coffee, just caffine. I drink Decaf every day and I don't notice the difference.

My doctor does not require me to give up coffee or tea. It seems that every doctor has different rules. :eek:

Some doctors feel the caffeine and acidic content of the coffee combined will harm your new pouch. That and coffee drinkers in general (not saying all of us but some of us) suffer heart burn/reflux type issues from the coffee itself. Sadly I am one of those few *cries* but I take my tums and deal with it.

After talking with my surgeons dietitian she said it was just a temporary thing, for 3(ish) months until the doctor feels I have healed enough and shouldn't have any post op complications.

I did tell her that me off caffeine is taking the safety of the world in there own hands, I might become a mass murderer with out my caffeine, I already gave up the nicotine now they want my caffeine. oh dear ....

My band nurse said that I could have 1 cup of caffeine coffee per day. I have to admit I probably abuse that. She said "I don't want to take away someones caffeine addiction".