Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell?? Why???

Why is there such a thing as bandster hell. I was banded on 12/31/07. Had my first fill on last week and will have my second fill tomorrow. Everyone says that the first 4-6 weeks is for healing not losing weight. But why don't the Dr's tell us that we have bigger bands (10cc) than those that got banded a couple of years ago? My mom had a lap band done and had a restriction right away but her band is a 5cc band. I had NO restriction even after my first fill. Most likely I am driving my Dr crazy but I am not a patient person. I did not go through this surgery because I am able to control my eating. I NEED this band to WORK for me. What is the use of going through all this and psyching ourselves that it is worth it because after the surgery we will not be able to eat and then after we feel physically better (one week in my case) we realise that we can EAT ANYTHING. Is it only me. Is that fair. I think we need to get the word out and make sure that they put fills into a 10cc band right away. If they know we will not have restriction in a 10cc band why do they insist on leaving it un-full so we then have to take a day off from work, find childcare, pay for parking (NYC) just so we can get a fill. And on top of that they ony give a little fill so then you have to go back. Why can't they fill you, wait till you have a drink, if there is no restriction, fill you more? When they are trying to sell you on the surgery they don't tell you that even after the surgery it might take 3 months until you feel any restriction. I know I am rambling on but I find this so frustrating. I am not a patient person and I want this damn thing to work already.

Try to calm down. The restriction poll indicates that for most there isn't restriction until the 3rd or 4th fill. You seem to be in a rush to get fills, consider the need to heal. The band isn't magic, you have to work with it. I'm surprised you've had 2 fills within about 3 weeks of surgery. My doctor required me to wait 6 weeks after surgery for the first fill to permit healing.

What's that thing they say? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Remember, the hare got there before the rabbit... it will happen. Chill.

You almost sound like you think the doctor is TRYING to keep you from getting restriction. That's just not true, he/she is acting in your best interest. EVERYONE is different. Some feel restriction with NO fill. Some have to have several fills (more than 3 or 4) to feel any restriction at all. Your doctor has no idea where you'll fall on the scale of restriction/fill level. If he gives you too much of a fill, and you can't drink fluids, you could end up in the hospital from dehydration. So from his perspective, he's being cautious.

Dear IMB316,

I know exactly how you feel and was in the same place very recently! I had surgery on October 26th 2007 and felt like you are feeling until this week, when I had my fourth fill. I know it is hard, and I know you want results now, but I promise you you will get there just be patient. You could need 4,5,or more fills to get the restriction you need. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!!! Some people (the ones that put us in this bad mood, bless their hearts....) feel good restriction before they even get a fill. I honestly never felt any restriction until my last fill which put me at 6.5cc's in a 10cc band. I was feeling the same as you "If I could control my eating I wouldn't have had major surgery!!!" and I even wrote that to the nutritionists at my doctor's office. I was ready to call it quits and then got that fourth fill and I have lost five pounds this week!!! (didn't update my ticker yet...) You may not get there at four fills, but trust me, you will. Please don't be discouraged. You are not far out from surgery and it is going to take time.

What's that thing they say? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Remember, the hare got there before the rabbit... it will happen. Chill.

I think you mean the tortise got there before the hare. :tt1:

imb --

Keep your head up, I'm sure things will start to get better.

Why is there such a thing as bandster hell. I was banded on 12/31/07. Had my first fill on last week and will have my second fill tomorrow. Everyone says that the first 4-6 weeks is for healing not losing weight. But why don't the Dr's tell us that we have bigger bands (10cc) than those that got banded a couple of years ago? My mom had a lap band done and had a restriction right away but her band is a 5cc band. I had NO restriction even after my first fill. Most likely I am driving my Dr crazy but I am not a patient person. I did not go through this surgery because I am able to control my eating. I NEED this band to WORK for me. What is the use of going through all this and psyching ourselves that it is worth it because after the surgery we will not be able to eat and then after we feel physically better (one week in my case) we realise that we can EAT ANYTHING. Is it only me. Is that fair. I think we need to get the word out and make sure that they put fills into a 10cc band right away. If they know we will not have restriction in a 10cc band why do they insist on leaving it un-full so we then have to take a day off from work, find childcare, pay for parking (NYC) just so we can get a fill. And on top of that they ony give a little fill so then you have to go back. Why can't they fill you, wait till you have a drink, if there is no restriction, fill you more? When they are trying to sell you on the surgery they don't tell you that even after the surgery it might take 3 months until you feel any restriction. I know I am rambling on but I find this so frustrating. I am not a patient person and I want this damn thing to work already.

Why are you wanting to rush things?

I "get it" believe me-I'm going thru bandster hell where I'm watching my portions, etc. But I've also set myself up "mentally" with the expectation to only lose 1lb/week - but THIS time, that 1lb is gone forever.

I'll be "satisfied" with my band if I lose 50lbs by this time next year.

Honestly? What's the rush? For some, the first few months the pounds seem to 'melt off' effortlessly - but then they seem to plateu. For others (ME) the beginning is SLOW (and I'm hoping it gets faster soon - see I'm inpatient, too).

The reason they don't "fill" the band all the way up from the get-go is that as you lose weight, your band will need to be filled again - if you're at fill capacity from the start, when you lose 20lbs - and your stomach shrinks a little (thus becoming unrestricted) you won't be able to 'tighten' it because there won't be any "room" in the band.

---

On another note, I'd be a bit concerned by a doctor that would give a patient TWO fills within their first month post op.

Most doctors make you wait a month between fills because the "tightness" can change over the course of that month.

I can feel your frustration because I'm in the same boat as you... 5cc in a 10cc band. Had restriction for a couple of days and now I'm back to eating what I want. Of course I try not to but it's not easy. I need the restriction to keep me on track otherwise I may as well call this another failed diet. That said, I know from my research and talking to people that another fill or two and I should be there. I am very happy that I lost 29 lbs in the first 6-7 weeks... this previously took at least 4-6 months to do. I just want to get the next lot off to keep me motivated. Hang in there, I'm trying to.

Hi,

I had my surgery 5/8/08, I am experiencing lack of restriction and wt loss as expected, i didn't know if i stretched the stomach or if i was totally messing up. I can eat about 1 cup and a half to 2 cups of food. I feel uncomfortable, but i should be feeling full at about 4oz? I started at 413 admit wt, lost 20 lb in two weeks, but had problems with getting anything down due to pain in stomach and no desire. But today, 392 and have not budged for about a the last two weeks. I am embarrassed to go to doctor without further wt loss. I am not eating too bad, less than 1000 calories, compared to my 4000 plus before surgery. I am feeling very dissapponted. I do have lots of swelling, but still i should be losing. Your post was in January, how are you doing now?

Thanks

Tina:huh2:

I can only second what the others have said, and believe me when I say that they are right. That being said you have the right to feel like you want to bang you head into a brick wall. I too assumed that I would be forever "cured"; meaning that I would not have the urge to overeat, after my surgery. However my lapband journey has been the most rewarding journey that I have ever taken. It has been painful at times, harder at other times, but mostly greatest joy.I have more power over food than I ever had before, and that is all me...not the band.

Good luck and please understand hell WILL end.

I'm sorry to hear that your doctor didn't prepare you well with the expectations of how the band works, but hang in there - it will happen for you! There are many reasons why they don't just fill it up tightly and start off with a huge restriction. I think the most important of these is the long term results on what is healthiest for your body. You need time to heal and time to learn to adjust your eating habits. Too much restriction at the beginning, when you haven't learned how to eat bandster style properly, can result in a lot of PBing episodes and that is one of the most common causes of slippage.

At six months out, I don't have a lot of long term experience to draw on, but I can offer this advice:

* In the first few weeks of the healing stages, follow your doctor's advice about liquids, mushies, etc. This is important for the long term health of your band. Your stomach needs time to heal and for the band to settle into place. Eating solid foods too early causes the stomach to work in digestion and interferes with the healing. Don't worry about quantities so much though - if it takes 2 cups of Soup at a time to satisfy you, eat it! If you are careful with your choices, 2 cups each meal will still see you well under 1200 cal a day and that is going to give you some good losses.

* In the bandster hell stage, when you can eat solid foods but haven't had the first fill, concentrate on changing your food choices. If you can eat a full meal of good healthy food, go for it. You don't need to be existing on only half a cup at a meal to lose weight. Make healthy choices and watch the calorie content. Eat 2 cups (or equivalent) if that's what it takes to stop you being hungry. It will still be FAR less than you were eating pre-band, and the losses will come slowly.

* After your first fill, don't expect miracles. You probably won't notice all that much of a difference, but if you eat solid foods you should find that you aren't hungry between meals and even though it still takes willpower to choose the right things, it IS easier to make those choices because you aren't QUITE as controlled by the hunger daemon as pre-banding. Make sure you don't let yourself get too hungry, because that's when our willpower deserts us and we make bad choices. Yes, you are on a "diet" at this stage - don't expect not to be! But if you eat good quality food, you should find that it is possible to stick to it, whereas in the past it wasn't.

* After the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fills: Each one will give just a tiny bit more restriction and unless you are really listening for it, you may not notice the difference but it will be there. Practice eating "bandster style" in tiny bites and chew every bit till it is liquid in your mouth. If you don't have a PB or a stuck episode - congratulations!! You are learning the rules well! It is most commonly the 3rd or 4th fill that really kicks things into gear and you can really tell that it is working, but if not, don't despair. Some people take 5, 6, 7 or more.

Overall, don't expect that the band will mean that you are never hungry. It is normal to be hungry at meal times. Eat! You can expect, however, that you won't be hungry between meals and that the quantities gradually drop until you hit that sweet spot where a half to a full cup of food each meal is all you really need to not feel hungry. Train your body into not expecting to feel FULL and STUFFED after a meal - that's what got us fat in the first place. Learn to listen for the "not hungry any more" feeling rather than "I'm so full, I CAN'T eat any more."

Good luck on your journey!