Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I keep doing this to myself?????

I swear, I must be an idiot...

EVERY morning...EVERY...I eat a yogurt...I can't eat any solids....

My kids have bananas and Cereal with milk. They don't eat the entire banana and I take a bite because I LOVE bananas and I think...hey, these are mushy, I'll just take a bite...Even though I KNOW I can't eat anything solid in the morning...And EVERY morning I sit with a lump of banana in my mouth.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??? I seriously don't understand my dysfunction...And yet, that banana is in my mouth faster than you can say stuck as hell.

I don't slime or anything, (Well...I'm lying, I did the other day)...I just get it stuck for a few minutes...

What is my problem??? Besides obvious stupidity???

Rain

Dammit, I hope I don't end up being a liquids only person in the morning....I'm stuck right now on 4 bites of grits.

I can't do bananas at all unless they're blended up in something. They SEEM mushy, but apparently our stomachs think differently.

I know what you mean, Rainer...it took me a long time to get it through my thick skull that the days of sausage and eggs with toast and home fries were gone, gone, gone.

I think we all sorta want to retain some sort of eating ritual or "memento" from our pre-band days as a way to make the switch to this new life easier. The simple fact is that, if you have really good restriction, chances are you won't be able to have Breakfast anymore...at least not in the way you remember it.

Personally, I can't eat or drink ANYTHING until around 11:30 AM...breakfast is just GONE for me. It used to be my faveorite meal of the day. That realization made me so sad, but then I stopped and asked myself "Why is the *act* of eating Breakfast so important to me?" When I realized I had no real answer for that above and beyond "Because it's what I've always done!", it was easier to stop trying to force the issue...because "what I've always done" is what made me all big and fat in the first place!

So, all this to say...PUT DOWN THE BANANA!!!! :eek:

Our bodies seem to crave our routines. If we eat X everyday for b'fast, our bodies scream to us every morning "where is my X"! So, we have to replace our old X with a new Y. Pretty soon, our bodies will be saying where is my Y everyday. We just need to make sure that Y is a good choice!

You've lost over half your weight, so you're doing a lot of things right!

I can not eat anything solid until around noon .

that did not start to happen until about my 2nd or 3rd fill .

So i drink a bolt house shake for Breakfast every morning. Try a banana smoothie it might help curb your bananna fix, like some others have said.

Mindy

Totally agree with Shortgal...had Cereal each morning, 1/2 banana and skim milk..ritual with coffee and the paper. Now, only coffee and the paper only, but at 9:30 at work, I crave my instant oatmeal or hot Kashi with a bit of br. sugar and some chopped pecans (no milk..stays with you longer). Went from 2 pkgsto less than 1/2 after my 12th fill (11 mon. later). Good news yesterday, my Cholesterol results just came in and went from 171 to 136! Waahhooo!

Right now I am liquids only in the morning. When I lose a few more pounds and this last fill loosens up a little I will be able to do my oatmeal again. Right now I have trouble getting my protien drink down. Donna

I understand you're frustration. I have Gerd's, and for the longest time, if I at anything dairy or spicy after 7pm, I'd be up at midnight with acid in my throat, trying to cough it out of my lungs. Gross I know. I told myself each time this happened, that I would never do it again, and I did it again. It took several of these episodes to finally realize that I just couldn't eat that way any more. I think I was rebelous with my body, thinking that it wasn't fair that I couldn't eat ice cream or any dessert for that matter after 7. I was mad. But my body finally won, and I'm not up any more crying my eyes out because I was so stupid with my food choices. Granted, I haven't been banded yet, and I'll have to make many more adjustments after that. I'm just saying I know about the feeling stupid part. They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I guess I have moments of insanity. Good luck and keep up the good work.

I love reading posts like this because it gives me thought for when I'm there, going through something similar... Thanks!

Only bananas I have anymore are the bananas & cream oatmeal. Num num! Whole bananas do present a problem because I don't like little bites of bananas!

I am the same way with bread tho, for months I know-without a doubt, it will get stuck and I'll spit it up. But it has not stopped me from trying every once in a while. I say.. maybe I'm looser at this time of day, maybe this bread is hard enough/soft enough/coated enough, etc.. that it'll go down this time. It never does. And I never learn a lesson.

We must be the most stubborn creatures on earth sometimes! We keep thinking that this time something will be different.

Head hunger drives us to continue to try things that get stuck everytime.

At least we need to give ourselves credit for perseverence (sp?)!

Of course, maybe your body is doing you a favor. Do you know how many carbs are in a banana??????? :tongue:

They would be off limits for me even if I could eat them. In fact, I can eat them now (one week until banding!) but I am allowed no more than 30 carbs a day on my pre-op diet. If I ate a banana that would equal at least half of my daily carb allowance. :tt1:

So don't feel too bad!