Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

favorite foods you can no longer eat

Hey, has anyone else noticed that you like foods now that you never liked before or could not eat. Particularly spicy foods. I was a total wimp for "hot" foods pre-band, but now I can eat things I could never have eaten before. I even ate catfish last week and loved it. I have tried catfish several times over the years, but always hated the taste but now I really enjoyed it.

I can't get too carried away with the spices because I can't drink anything to wash it down with, but there is a tremendous difference between before and after. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?:frown:

My husband had this surgery and has lost weight but is now gaining some back. My question is , is it true when he tells me he can't eat veggies and food that is actually good for him? But he eats all the junk food he wants.

Yeah, "bad" foods sometimes go down easier but there are so many "good" foods that go down just as easily if not more so. If your husband is having trouble getting foods down perhaps he should try different preparation methods, for example:

meats - cook them less for a more tender serving

Vegetables - cook them more or steam them to make them easier to eat

Also, he should really see his doctor and discuss the problem because overeating can lead to more than just weight gain. If he stretches his stoma, he will not be a happy camper. This is a dangerous game he is playing, he really needs to make an appointment with his doc.

You might also be able to help if you do most of the shopping by not bring the "bad" foods into the house. If it is not there, he can't eat it (at least not at home). You could look for some recipes that will be easier for him to eat and shake things up a bit, maybe he is just bored with eating the things he initially learned were "safe" foods. Sometimes we are scared of getting something "stuck" so we are hesitant to try new things and we keep eating the same ol' same ol' until we are bored to death of it.

As for foods "getting stuck" or "not going down", I have found only a few foods that I cannot eat (conch, and broiled pork or chicken). I have found that almost every time I have experience discomfort/pain the problem has actually been that I had too much air in my stomach (because I waited too long to eat). I theorize that as the food tries to pass through the band it actually displaces the air and the air tries to escape but is blocked by the food (just like the air bubbles that infants get). I have found that it really helps when my husband burps me (yes, patting the back the whole nine yards, well, eight, he doesn't sling me over his shoulder). Once I get the air bubbling out past the food, and burp a good sailor's burp, I feel much better and I am usually able to finish my meal. It is at least worth a try.

I am sorry for writing a book here, but I hope something in there helps. Good luck.:frown:

Pizzaman,

Was there a point to this posting?

Pizzaman, I loved it!! You ARE cruel!!

I do find that I can have a slice now and then--but you really have to chew, chew, chew--I simply cannot have life without pizza! (and thin crust is definitely better!)

I just find that I can only eat one piece for a meal--so if I buy a personal pan, I've got four meals worth!!

Thanks for the visual!! :tongue:

If I somehow offended someone with picture, I apologize. I was just doing for giggles and right now, I couldn't even fathom eating a slice of pizza. The thought makes me queasy.

Pizzaman

I don't see how the picture could offend anyone. I definitely miss pizza. I could probably handle a piece of thin crust, but I chose not to indulge, at least for now. Thanks for the visual though, now I'm gonna be craving it, LOL!

If I somehow offended someone with picture, I apologize. I was just doing for giggles and right now, I couldn't even fathom eating a slice of pizza. The thought makes me queasy.

No offense taken. I just didn't get it. Sorry for the abruptness of my reply. :tongue:

I understand the mourning process. I can't eat it anymore either, but I don't really miss it.

Laura

I am not offended but that was EVIL lol I miss pizza too. I could probably eat it at least a bite but I am too scared of it getting stuck. or not being able to stop lol

Hi, I too was afraid of what I was going to have to "give up" but those things are what caused me to get into my obese state! So, now, my philisophy is everything in moderation and, if it doesn't work, don't eat it. My favorite is spaghetti. I still eat it but I chop up the noodles very fine after the sauce is added and still eat small bites. It goes down fine. bread, I can only eat the very crispy parts and only in small amounts. You get the basic idea. So, again, everything in moderation, follow the band guidelines for eating and keep the Protein high, fat and carbs low!! Hope this helps!

I don't eat bread, rice, or potatoes, basically nothing white, except for Hardees sausage n gravy :rolleyes:. I have to admit, after three years, a great big juicy cheeseburger does sound tempting, but the thought of that getting caught in my band...no thanks.

OHHHH, I also forgot to mention, I do enjoy a slice of pizza now and again but I just don't eat the crust. I scrape the toppings off and eat them slowly and in small bites. Satisfies the pizza craving and fills you up. I usually go for either just plain cheese with extra sauce or a veggie pizza. YUMMO!

I can't eat bananas, even though I mash them up pretty well. I am in my solid stage now and breads, and Pasta is still a problem. Rice and Mashed potatoes are only carb like foods i can eat. Ouh and baked chicken or meats not cooked in a stew are a no go! So I still haven't gotten my restriction but I can't wait, I need that feeling of fullness.

I wanted to thank everybody for their replies. It was very interesting to note how the band effects everybody differently in what they can and cannot eat. Also how the band seems to change your tastes and desires, that you don't actually want to eat those foods anymore! I really get the feeling from all of you that it was worth it... so I feel better about it now and want to thank you for your insight! :)