Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

favorite foods you can no longer eat

I recently attended the lapband orientation and was surprised to learn about all the foods we can no longer eat post surgery... like Cereal, bread, soda, pizza, Pasta, etc etc. :eek: Now I'm scared, wondering if this is really true, and how I'll feel living the rest of my life without some of my favorite foods!

Please tell me about your experiences, what favorite foods can you no longer eat? And how does it make you feel? In the end, I guess it's not a dealbreaker, I need to do this for my health. But if you knew then what you know now, would you do it again? Thanks for your input!

Would do it again in a second!!!!

As for the foods, the only thing I really can't/won't eat any more is McDonalds french fries! Can eat onion rings, tator tots (carefully) and french fries from other places but not McD's. pizza, Subway, soda, Pasta and all that other stuff you mentioned....no problem. Now, just because I say I eat them doesn't mean I go crazy! I can go to McD's, get a side salad and a double cheeseburger off the dollar menu. What I do is throw away the top bun, cut it in half and use the rest of the bun as kind of a holder for the meat. As I'm eating I tear away most of what's left of the bread......making it to where I really only eat about a fourth of the entire bun.....does that make sense? It allows me to have a sandwich with the kids and not have to eat a burger with a fork! pizza is kind of the same thing, will eat a bite or two, very carefully off the point and then eat the topping off the rest of that slice. Once in a while I even go for the topping on the second peice. Pasta's are not a problem at all. What I do have a little problem with is things like cube steak, or leftover or too dry chicken.

I've lost 90 pounds in one year (if the sweets had any trouble going down that number would be a little higher!!), I feel great and am enjoying life again! My family and I went to Worlds of fun and rode rollercoasters this summer, the kids are in 4-H and the County hosted a Laser tag get together last weekend (yes I ran around like a fool!) , going to a roller rink in March....and guess what.....I'm skating!

Don't focus on the food or what you're afraid you're going to miss, you'll be so busy living life again that it will be worth it! Good luck!!

after your banded you look at food ( or at least I do ) differently . food for me is a tool to live . Its not something that is for enjoyment anymore.

dont get me wrong i still like to eat , but I dont look at " OH I get to eat this food because i LOVE It " its not like that anymore.

Sure every now and then I miss a burger . But I enjoy my new healthier life more than I miss those foods.

Someone said once" I dont want to give eat veggies because i dont ENJOY those foods that are good for me " Well my response was " I eat those foods now because they keep me alive , food is not about enjoyment its about eating to live not living to eat "

if you wont get banded because you cant eat breads, Pasta, ect honestly your not ready to be banded yet. Would i do it again YES in a nano second .

Just my input

Mindy

Would do it again in a second!!!!

As for the foods, the only thing I really can't/won't eat any more is McDonalds french fries! Can eat onion rings, tator tots (carefully) and french fries from other places but not McD's. pizza, Subway, soda, Pasta and all that other stuff you mentioned....no problem. Now, just because I say I eat them doesn't mean I go crazy! I can go to McD's, get a side salad and a double cheeseburger off the dollar menu. What I do is throw away the top bun, cut it in half and use the rest of the bun as kind of a holder for the meat. As I'm eating I tear away most of what's left of the bread......making it to where I really only eat about a fourth of the entire bun.....does that make sense? It allows me to have a sandwich with the kids and not have to eat a burger with a fork! pizza is kind of the same thing, will eat a bite or two, very carefully off the point and then eat the topping off the rest of that slice. Once in a while I even go for the topping on the second peice. Pasta's are not a problem at all. What I do have a little problem with is things like cube steak, or leftover or too dry chicken.

I've lost 90 pounds in one year (if the sweets had any trouble going down that number would be a little higher!!), I feel great and am enjoying life again! My family and I went to Worlds of fun and rode rollercoasters this summer, the kids are in 4-H and the County hosted a Laser tag get together last weekend (yes I ran around like a fool!) , going to a roller rink in March....and guess what.....I'm skating!

Don't focus on the food or what you're afraid you're going to miss, you'll be so busy living life again that it will be worth it! Good luck!!

Fast food i have found has not been conducive with the band, except Taco Bell. I cant eat breads and dont miss them either. But I have found most fast foods do not go well with my band , I get stuck nearly every time. Forget about eating in the car too ! Pizza I eat the toppings off of them .

But I dont miss fast foods at all. IF my kids want to go to fast food places, they usually dont anymore, i have rubbed off on them , they will go to taco bell where i can eat ONE taco . But everyone is different. Some people can eat bread , i cant. Some can eat eggs, I cant eat any kind of eggs with out getting stuck .

Congrats on your weight loss as well 5 Jacks

Mindy

Mindy, I agree with everything you said, you do look at food differently! My one problem is the sweets.....was doing really well till Christmas and can't seem to get them out of my system now.

I also went back and read what I wrote....hoping everyone knows that I don't eat that stuff on a daily basis, but it's nice to know I can once in a while!!

are you eating alot of carbs ? If you are try cutting back . i find if i eat carbs i crave crap !

I really find i dont even want that stuff anymore. I know i CAN eat them if i want but i find i dont really want them 99% of the time , IF i want a hamburger i'll order a chili cheeseburger no bun , the chili adds more Protein , then i cut it in half and eat the other half the next day for lunch .

I dont crave sweets much , maybe right before my periods and IF I do I try to do sugar free things, It helps control things. Try to make smart choices when you crave bad things and it helps control the bad cravings.

HTH

Mindy

PS I didnt think you ate those things all the time :eek:

PS also if you want to eat Pasta try whole wheat pasta or spaghetti squash . Its YUMMY , i throw sauce and FF mozzarella cheese on it and my kids do not even know its not spaghetti

Mindy

I can eat anything I want even though I have some restriction. I'm sure things will change with my next fill but to be honest I'm looking forward to it. Because it's a gradual process you actually start looking at junk food as your last option when considering what to eat. Don't let it scare you off, you'll be fine.

I can eat pretty much what I want (within reason) and I have pretty good restriction. The thing that shocked me the most was how much my tastes have changed. Before surgery I was a bread addict...loved rolls with butter...yum. Now they don't even taste good. pizza doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I think that when you have to chew so damn much you realize how 'un-yummy' things were that you used to eat. I don't miss them at all. I don't like the way fast food burgers taste at all either anymore....I can't believe it either....trust me! But it is a good thing. I really wish that this surgery would of made chocolate and sweets taste nasty but nope, those still go down great! Lovely.....hehehehe

I can eat pretty much what I want (within reason) and I have pretty good restriction. The thing that shocked me the most was how much my tastes have changed. Before surgery I was a bread addict...loved rolls with butter...yum. Now they don't even taste good. pizza doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I think that when you have to chew so damn much you realize how 'un-yummy' things were that you used to eat. I don't miss them at all. I don't like the way fast food burgers taste at all either anymore....I can't believe it either....trust me! But it is a good thing. I really wish that this surgery would of made chocolate and sweets taste nasty but nope, those still go down great! Lovely.....hehehehe

this is SO True. Everyone says their tastes change after surgery and mine was RIGHT after surgery . I could not eat Popsicles post op because they tasted like i was eating straight sugar, even the sugar free one's , just TOO sugary for me .

Certain Soups made me gag. I was shocked how quickly my tastes changed.

Mindy

Right before my first fill I thought OH I will have a hamburger. ummmm

Let me just say I thought I would NEVER say this ICK McD hamburger used to be my favorite. ICK it was so bland and nasty tasting I only took 3 bites of it. Guess I wont be missing that for a while. lol

I do miss pizza. I could probably eat it...I just havent tried it yet.

Right before my first fill I thought OH I will have a hamburger. ummmm

Let me just say I thought I would NEVER say this ICK McD hamburger used to be my favorite. ICK it was so bland and nasty tasting I only took 3 bites of it. Guess I wont be missing that for a while. lol

I do miss pizza. I could probably eat it...I just havent tried it yet.

What I do for pizza is one of 2 things. Eat the topping off the top if im at a pizza place . OR If im at home i make a crust less pizza. Take sauce, and all the toppings you would put on a pizza, sausage, veggies, cheese, ect, layer them in a pan like a lasagna and bake until the cheese melts , there you have a crust less pizza tastes JUST Like PIzza you can do the same thing with lasagna and leave out the noodles .

HTH

Mindy

I can probably still eat pizza because I dont have restriction. I just want it too bad right now....I know it dosent make sence. But I know If I have it then I will eat a lot of it. if I dont eat it yet I cant start eatting it yet...the flood gates are not open for me to eat all I can.