Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Merry Losers -- check in and let us know how your day is

Lachica39, so sorry I didn't respond. :thumbup: I'm just beginning to feel better and haven't been on the computer much. If the Dr. can fill your port, it hasn't flipped. :hurray: One of the ways you know it has flipped, if you don't have any pain with it is, they hit a hard surface and can't go in with the needle. Good news for you! :thumbup: I don't know when you were banded but I had a soreness in my muscle for 2 months after surgery.

I had to have a second surgery on May 8th, a week ago... I had to have my port flipped and they wanted to see why I was having pain on my left side where nothing is except the cord going between the band and the port... When they got inside, it was SCAR TISSUE!!! :thumbup: He said there was only one other case worse then mine that he had seen. :thumbup: It was a two hour surgery, cleaning out all the scar tissue that had developed and flipping the port. He gave me pics from the cameras they use inside your stomach, before they started cleaning up the scar tissue and after. It's really gross, looking at your insides but before there was so much scar tissue around the cord and everywhere, you couldn't see nothing! :thumbup: The after pictures, you can see normal things... like the cord and organs and etc. :cry_smile:

I see the Dr. tomorrow and have lots of questions for my follow up after surgery. I'm wondering if my body was trying to fight off this foreign object or what. I had a low grade fever of about 99 to 100 for a wk to 10 days after my lap band surgery in Dec. I wasn't taking antibiotics like I did after this surgery either... I'm wondering could I have had an infection and my body was trying to protect itself and I've heard your body can use scar tissue to try and protect and cover things from it... Whatever the reason, I hope this is all behind me!!! I feel so much better and recovering so much faster then 12-17-07 when I was banded.

About the eating Lachica39, I agree with the Dr. that if you chew your food to basically liquid you can eat more. Just physics. I tend to drink a little Water with meals and I can eat a little more. :thumbup: I've had 1 c.c. fill 1/29/08 another 1 c.c the first of March and during surgery last week he has put in another 1 c.c. so I am up to 3 c.c. My weight loss had stopped this last month while I was sick. :thumbup: What a shame to eat so little and not lose a thing! The Dr. said my body was in a fight or flight mode and it was hanging on to everything in fear that I was sick and something was wrong. Plus my physical activity was as little as possible because of the pain. :thumbup: Since surgery last week, the scales have finally gone down 5 more pounds! YIPEE! My appetite is like it was after surgery before, pretty slow and not that hungry. It's beginning to wake up a little more but still very small amounts and if I just make healthier choices when i do eat something it has really helped get the fat burning going again! YIPEE! :hurray:

Sorry this is so long... Hopes this info helps you or someone else out there! :hurray: Good luck to all!

Hi all you Merry Losers!!

Haven't checked in for a while. Lots of Lurking.

Just got back from the doctor for a slight unfill. I should have had 1.5 cc's in a 4 cc band. He pulled out 1.1 and put back just under 1cc.

I have been having trouble for the past 2 weeks eating enough Protein. pbing way too much. My last fill was mid March...so I'm not sure why all of a sudden I got super restriction.:lol:

I did get a cortisone (sp?) shot in my shoulder in April. Dr. didn't comment if that could be the cause.

Anyway...I'm down 49lbs since 12/26/2007. Can't complain about that. I'm never hungry:thumbup:. Started sized 18W- now regular 14's are loose. Some 12's fit just fine. I love my band!!

My older son is getting married next week (May 24th) Then I'm off to Vegas for a week. :biggrin: I hope I can eat for the Bridal Luncheon, Rehearsal dinner, Wedding and of course Vegas...BABY!!!

Just wanted to tell you all how much I enjoy coming here every day to hear how everyone is doing. I truly get a warm and fuzzy feeling from each and everyone of you.

Wow Gilmore, I glad everything worked out well for you. scar tissue, thats scary, I have a few friends that suffered terribly with scar tissued that formed after surgery.

like you, I often wondered about rejection. we do have a foreign object in us. I do take cq10 which my Doc recommended before surgery and after. it supposed to help you heal faster.

all my concerns have been put to rest. fill was a success, no more pain. I guess the Doc. was right, just a pulled muscle

I would like all by band family to pray for my mother Rose, she is terminally ill with advance pancreatic cancer, on top of sclederma. she was hospitalized for 5 weeks after surgery. they removed part of her stomach and intestine (Whipple surgery) I joke with her that she had by-pass surgery. she is home now with hospice support we want her remaining days to be filled with love and support. I drive down on Fridays and stay until Sunday to relieve my sisters.

it has been a tough road, and I have not been watching my food intake, I have been eating nothing but junk food. sweets, chips you name it, I ate it. again this habit goes way back to my days of gorging during painful times in my life.

one of my favorite verses is Joshua 1:9

I command you: be firm and steadfast! Do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord, your God, is with you wherever you go.

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I'd check in and let you know I'm still having some trouble... :youcandothis: 10 days after my 2nd surgery to have it flipped, I felt GREAT! I went on an hour to an hour a half hike and THE PAIN CAME BACK! Within 3 days of walking (and off of antibiotics for 3 days), I was hurting so bad I was in tears! UGH!! It was worse then EVER!

To make a long story, shorter.. We did an ultra sound and found Fluid around the port area. My Dr. gave orders that if they found liquid around the port to drain it while I was there. They numbed me up (YIPEE! RELIEF!) and drained 30 c.c of infection!!! :welldone2: They tested it and grew cultures. Yesterday, the Dr. office called and said I had a staph infection and they put me on super strong severe infection antibiotics for the next 10 days. They want me to rest and do nothing while this heals. Just after 24 hours of starting the new antibiotics and getting that infection drained last Fri., I'm already feeling so much better! :scared2: I think I have had this low grade infection going since my banding in Dec. My Dr. and the Radiology Dr. gives me every indication that this should solve the problem and it should now heal completely. The pain is already so much less. I can walk and get up without feeling horrible and it has only been 24 hours on the new medicine.

I just want everyone to remember, even though they feel good, you have to take good care of yourself and your port. It's so easy to overdo it. They say you can go back to normal so fast... I think surgery is surgery and you still need to give yourself 6 weeks at least to heal before doing anything to strenuous. Fluid and infection can build up so quickly and be difficult to get a handle on it... Good luck to all and here's to a skinner summer!!!! :thumbup:

I feel so fortunate to not have to report of any issues. I'm enjoying my spring and have just returned from Aruba. I had a new experience while there this time. (I was just there in January....) I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a new bathing suit as I don't feel like my current weight is my intended destination. I bought a 2 piece tankini from Target, with the top a tank top (too busty to wear those halter styles still....) and a normal panty like bottom. I put just a skirt on over the bottom whenever I was out. For what I think may be the first time in my life, I didn't worry about wearing a t-shirt to cover my shoulders and arms. Even in college, when I competed for the track team as a hammer thrower, I always put a t-shirt on over my uniform tank. I don't do tank tops, but am seriously now considering buying a few. I can't believe how much confidence this surgery has given me. I feel like a million dollars and am so excited that I made the decision to do this. I feel so blessed to have my life going in such a positive direction. Thank you all for being so supportive during this time. It truly has been a great learning experience. I look forward to finally being below 260 for the first time since 1992. Does anyone know if NOT working out can help you lose weight? My body is accustomed to working out 45 minutes every day, either with weights or the treadmill. I've used the treadmill only twice since Memorial Day and I've finally lost about 7 or 8 pounds---just like that! Any ideas????

Hi Everyone! Its been a long time since I've posted. I like seeing how everyones doing. I am down 45 lbs!!! Woo Hoo! I feel SO MUCH BETTER! I can actually shop (for smaller clothes!) and not have my feet get sore from all the weight. I haven't actually kicked in any workouts yet...I figure if I stop losing I'll kick in the exercise. (Some habits are very hard to break)

I feel so fortunate to not have to report of any issues. I'm enjoying my spring and have just returned from Aruba. I had a new experience while there this time. (I was just there in January....) I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a new bathing suit as I don't feel like my current weight is my intended destination. I bought a 2 piece tankini from Target, with the top a tank top (too busty to wear those halter styles still....) and a normal panty like bottom. I put just a skirt on over the bottom whenever I was out. For what I think may be the first time in my life, I didn't worry about wearing a t-shirt to cover my shoulders and arms. Even in college, when I competed for the track team as a hammer thrower, I always put a t-shirt on over my uniform tank. I don't do tank tops, but am seriously now considering buying a few. I can't believe how much confidence this surgery has given me. I feel like a million dollars and am so excited that I made the decision to do this. I feel so blessed to have my life going in such a positive direction. Thank you all for being so supportive during this time. It truly has been a great learning experience. I look forward to finally being below 260 for the first time since 1992. Does anyone know if NOT working out can help you lose weight? My body is accustomed to working out 45 minutes every day, either with weights or the treadmill. I've used the treadmill only twice since Memorial Day and I've finally lost about 7 or 8 pounds---just like that! Any ideas????

I don't know if this is the issue, but everyone always says that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you've stopped working out, maybe you are losing muscle mass? You have posted several times that you are very athletic and do a LOT of exercise (well a lot in my book anyway :)). Maybe you could look more at doing light cardio and toning exercises rather than heavy stuff that builds up muscles? Still, being fit and muscly isn't a bad thing at all, so don't let some silly numbers on a scale stop you from being what you want to be!

Lachica . .. I didn't see this note about your mom earlier. My thoughts are with you and your family. This is never an easy thing, so I ache for your family for what you are all going through! Hugs!

Chris

I don't know if this is the issue, but everyone always says that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you've stopped working out, maybe you are losing muscle mass? You have posted several times that you are very athletic and do a LOT of exercise (well a lot in my book anyway :)). Maybe you could look more at doing light cardio and toning exercises rather than heavy stuff that builds up muscles? Still, being fit and muscly isn't a bad thing at all, so don't let some silly numbers on a scale stop you from being what you want to be!

Thanks, Fanny. I'm guilty in that I've used this excuse all week not to workout as much as I normally do. I've stuck to 45 minutes on the treadmill--about 3 2.75-3 miles OR circuit training (light weights) for 45 minutes. (and, I skipped working out entirely Friday and Saturday as I was just flat out too busy!) I'm trying to be easier on myself. My body is finally changing and looking less bulky, less stocky muscular and I'm loving it! I've tried for so many years to workout more like women and less of the heavy lifting that I trained with when I was younger. I'm a work in progress but I sure like the progress.

How are you all doing? Lachica, you're in my thoughts and prayers. How are you faring? Give yourself a break. If you "need" to let go of your eating for a little while, the band will be there when you're feeling stronger and ready to work with it. We all know what it's like to have the emotional eating. If it didn't make us feel better, we wouldn't do it. Be well and be strong.

Edited by notateechanow

Ok...I have a question for all of you. I was filled about 3 weeks ago and have had a great few weeks, at least for the first 2. I have eaten properly, not had any issues with vomiting or PB'ing, etc. I finally dropped about 6-8 pounds while on vacation during week 2 after my fill, but I know it probably had more to do with the fact that I ate predominantly cottage cheese and fruit the entire 5 days. Since then I feel like my band has tightened, but haven't had a fill. I've tried having warm drinks and starting meals with Soup. I typically have tightness in the morning, but this is in the afternoons--after 1:00 or 2:00, too! I finally found some relief tonight after working out. I have had a really tough time for the past 5-6 days, which coincides with not only my menstrual cycle, but also with a stressful and busy time at work. Do you think this is all related? I finally got some dinner down tonight after hitting the treadmill for a quick 3 miles....ugh. Any suggestions or ideas? I don't want an unfill as I'm finally losing weight, and up until this past week, I actually thought I wanted another fill soon!!! Thanks for any ideas/advice. :)

Ok...I have a question for all of you. I was filled about 3 weeks ago and have had a great few weeks, at least for the first 2. I have eaten properly, not had any issues with vomiting or PB'ing, etc. I finally dropped about 6-8 pounds while on vacation during week 2 after my fill, but I know it probably had more to do with the fact that I ate predominantly cottage cheese and fruit the entire 5 days. Since then I feel like my band has tightened, but haven't had a fill. I've tried having warm drinks and starting meals with Soup. I typically have tightness in the morning, but this is in the afternoons--after 1:00 or 2:00, too! I finally found some relief tonight after working out. I have had a really tough time for the past 5-6 days, which coincides with not only my menstrual cycle, but also with a stressful and busy time at work. Do you think this is all related? I finally got some dinner down tonight after hitting the treadmill for a quick 3 miles....ugh. Any suggestions or ideas? I don't want an unfill as I'm finally losing weight, and up until this past week, I actually thought I wanted another fill soon!!! Thanks for any ideas/advice. :)

Many people report that both ToM and stress cause the band to feel tighter. If you are finding that you are losing well and not too tight when not on ToM but get uncomfortable during, you probably don't need another fill. If I were in that position, I'd just forget about eating in the mornings during my ToM and save those calories for the evenings when I wanted them. If it turned out that I didn't want more than my usual evening meal, well that's great - less food in for the day! It's not like we don't have reserves and are about to fade away to a shadow :).

Good luck with your journey!

Ok...I have a question for all of you. I was filled about 3 weeks ago and have had a great few weeks, at least for the first 2. I have eaten properly, not had any issues with vomiting or PB'ing, etc. I finally dropped about 6-8 pounds while on vacation during week 2 after my fill, but I know it probably had more to do with the fact that I ate predominantly cottage cheese and fruit the entire 5 days. Since then I feel like my band has tightened, but haven't had a fill. I've tried having warm drinks and starting meals with Soup. I typically have tightness in the morning, but this is in the afternoons--after 1:00 or 2:00, too! I finally found some relief tonight after working out. I have had a really tough time for the past 5-6 days, which coincides with not only my menstrual cycle, but also with a stressful and busy time at work. Do you think this is all related? I finally got some dinner down tonight after hitting the treadmill for a quick 3 miles....ugh. Any suggestions or ideas? I don't want an unfill as I'm finally losing weight, and up until this past week, I actually thought I wanted another fill soon!!! Thanks for any ideas/advice. :rolleyes2:

Whenever I am stressed about something, even if it is just upset by my kids for 5 minutes, things seem to tighten. I don't have issues when TOM arrives, but many have reported that they do. Those two things together may be what is causing your tightening. Also, many have reported that a fill doesn't really "kick in" for a couple of weeks. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I believe the reports. Combine all three and it sounds like what you are experiencing.

My suggestion would be to try to go to mushies for a few days until you feel a little better. If the feeling goes away, you should be fine at your current fill level. If, instead, it doesn't go away when TOM does or when the stress is a little easier, then maybe you need to think about a slight unfill. I know we like to see the scale drop but we also need to think about getting in all the good stuff our bodies need. When we are stuck on mushy stuff for too long it is pretty tough to get it all in.

Those are my 2 cents. Take it or leave it, but let us know how it goes and what you decide. I know I'm due for some doozy of some trouble and I want to be on top of it when it gets here. Good luck!

Thanks, Stephanie. I think things will be better once school lets out. It's such a stressful time for us--benchmark testing, spreadsheets with scores, putting report card grades online to a server that shuts down constantly...oh my. I will be so glad when the year ends. I finally get out Tuesday, June 24th. (Camp begins the following Monday!) No rest for the weary. I have an appointment scheduled for the 23rd with my doctor. I have been able to eat better for the last two days and have been able to eat more as long as I workout first....

What are you all doing for the summer? Anyone have anything fun planned that they wouldn't have done, pre-banding, but now that you've lost weight and gained control, decided to go for it? Have a great Father's Day weekend. :smile:

Hi Merry Loser's,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here, seeing as I have been rather busy with school. sometimes I feel like I am too busy to eat band friendly foods and things that are not fatty sweets. But its always an excuse, I guess thats how I got in this predicament! Anyways, I am just checking in to see how everyone is, how is your band, are you progressing like you wanted to? Everything!

I'll start...

At the beginning of the summer I was at 259 from originally 311 so 52 pounds down. This summer, when I had time I really didn't work my program well and went to cabo and ate everything in sight :rolleyes2: Anyways, now, in september I am up to 274. so I am down on myself bu I know I will get back with it. All summer I have been feeling no restriction and so I couldnt control myself. I just got filled today and I am filled to 7.5cc in a 10 cc band. I am feeling a little bit more restriction already! So good news! I have made it my goal by Halloween to lose those 15 pounds so that I can look good in my costume! Starting monday my goal was to work out 4 times a week and not eat ANY fast food. So I will be trying really hard for the next month so that I can get right back on track!!!!So after my life story, how are you all?

Heddy