Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to learn about LapBands & Decide

Hi. I'm just starting to think about LapBands and I'm glad I found this forum as a resource of information.

My main question doesn't have to do with any of the physical effects of the process but about the emotional ones. I realize that the band results in major changes with the most noticeable being what is eaten and the amounts and, of course, the resulting weight loss. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who binged or ate when not hungry but when bored, sad, lonely, angry or worried, so my question is how did you deal with the habit of eating; the urge to eat when life is out of control. I have depression and have been in therapy so it's not like I'm completely clueless but how did YOU deal with these issues?

I was just about to post this same question. I hope someone answers. I have no idea right now how I am going to just not eat like I'm used too. I know I can't eat like that anymore but I'm scared I won't be able to do it.

Future Bandsters,

Even after all your research, you won't be prepared for how life (day-to-day living) will really be after weight loss surgery until you live it. Hopefully by now, you realize the band is just a "tool," but don't mistakenly believe that if the band does its job of keeping you from being ravenously hungry and restricts your intake, the rest will be easy. It won't.

As you move from liquids, to soft foods, to solids, your daily food challenges will grow. If you had emotional or other issues pre-band that contributed to your weight, you will have to develop personal strategies to counter them when making food choices. To be continually successful, you MUST:

• GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME.
  • not drink and eat at the same time based on the timeframes given to you by your surgeon. Wash solids through the pouch too soon and your body will want another meal, which equals more calories.
  • eat your food in the EXACT order and portion sizes/ratio specified by your surgeon. Usually Protein first, then veggies, then fruit.< /span>
  • AVOID high carbohydrate foods as if they were the DEVIL reincarnate. Don't EVER act like you don't know what carbohydrates are and there's no label to read. If you do, the only one you're fooling is you. Your band, your body, and your scale will not be so easily fooled forever.
  • build up to EXERCISING at least 3 to 5 day per week (preferably 5) or you won't be losing fat, you'll be losing muscle, which will make it even harder to keep the weight off after your initial losses.
  • KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME.

I highly recommend you read Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery by Susan Maria Leach. In fact, the bulleted list above are just some of the insights I've paraphrased from her book. If I had read this book before I was banded, I believe I would be much further along in my weight loss journey and could have avoided many pitfalls.

Other areas of the book I'm finding useful are her journal entries, insight about relationships with food and people pre- and post-surgery, and recipes. The book is actually a very quick read because more than half the book is dedicated to recipes for weight loss surgery patients. Good luck and I hope this post was helpful.

Thanks, Randi, I thought that was a very helpful reply. We should all probably print that out and have it on the refrigerator to remind us! :cursing:

Personally, as a future bandster, I wonder how hard it will be to avoid the liquids while eating. That seems so hard to do. On the other hand, that's part of how I got in this shape -- trying to always guzzle water/liquids at all times of the night and day to make sure I was getting my daily requirement. And then washing the meals through and then being hungry and wanting more food, and then washing it down....

Thank you Randi, reading that book sounds like a great idea. I haven't had my first surgeon's visit yet...it in a week and a half and I'm very excited. I'm going to look on Amazon, and if I get approved for the surgery, I'll order it. My friend had the Roue-n-Y (sp?) surgery several years ago, and she said she actually "mourned" food. She had a big dinner party with all of her friends for her "last supper" before surgery. She has lost a TON of weight. I'm more for the less invasive Lap Band though. All that cutting and re-arranging inside freaks me out! My BMI is 36, and I don't have many co-morbidities, so I'm worried I won't be approved. I've read posts both ways...some easy fast approvals, and others denied.

Chica,

Actually, you'll find not drinking while eating is just not that difficult. In fact, this is one bandster rule you can easily get into the habit of doing right now. Here's the strategy I adopted pre-band:

1) GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME. :cursing: Prepare yourself each and every time for what you have to do.

2) Do a "how thirsty am I check" before EVERY meal, then drink 'til you're satisfied. Be sure your "drink" is always a sugar-free, calorie-free, non-carbonated beverage (remember you're training to go live).

3) Once you begin your meal, don't take another sip. This could mean removing or having the beverage removed from your sight, pushing it to the other side of the table out of reach, or drinking it all before you start your meal.

4) After you finish your last tasty morsel, check and make a mental note of the time or write it down if you have to.

5) Wait the prescribed time. Note: My surgeon requires waiting one full hour before you take a drink to allow the nerves in the pouch to fully register fullness and to feel full longer before you wash the food through, but follow your surgeon's instructions.

6) Drink your favorite sugar-free, calorie-free, non-carbonated beverages to your heart's content . . . until the next meal.

Blund,

Mourning food (high carbohydrates - Desserts, sodas, chips, bread, rice, Pasta, etc.) is not unusual after weight loss surgery nor is having last suppers prior to. I think we can all admit to having a last supper just before embarking on yet another diet. Had I chosen Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y or RNY) as my weight loss surgery, my last supper would have consisted of solely a dessert table of all my favorites and that probably would have been my Breakfast, lunch and dinner for at least two days.

Gastric Bypass patients have an even greater challenge nutritionally because their stomach is reduced to the size of a thumb and the intestine of the rewired stomach can't tolerate sugar -- if they're lucky. Foods high in carbohydrates cause them to become painfully and violently ill. So they have to really watch their carbs or pay the price. You've probably heard it called "dumping syndrome."

A prior acquaintance of mine who opted for the gastric bypass, and was about eight months post-op, tried a sliver of my cake one day and had to go home for the rest of the day. I didn't know about the various surgeries being performed at the time, but I made a mental note that if I ever had WLS it wouldn't be THAT one. In fact, if I ever have to have the band removed, I would rather have the vertical gastrectomy over the gastric bypass.