Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

My doctor recommends 48 hours of full liquids after a fill, then he suggests a bit of caution for a few days (till we get used to the newly filled band and how it will react to food). Works great for me....:thumbup:

I agree with Phyl....no such thing as too old! Also, I have had almost no problem with wrinkling (so far), and I have a LOT to lose. Slow weight loss with the band is probably helping with that issue.Nancy

Well, I can't claim "no wrinkling", but i sure like my thinner face complete with a few more wrinkles! My driver's license picture from a couple of months prior to banding speaks 1000 words! I can't stand looking at that big, round, bloated face! I'll be happy when it runs out! I may even opt for the new "enhanced" ID/driver's license just to get a new picture!! And next month I have to get a new military dependent ID because I turn 65, so I will get a new picture on that one, too!

Phyl, are you and DH headed south? Gosh, that time of year again... It's been so warm in Kansas City area this fall, it's hard to believe it is almost October. Take care and have a good safe trip.

I had a call from the bariatric coordinator yesterday afternoon. I've been cleared for surgery and my chart was headed for the scheduler. I should hear from her early next week about a surgery date. After all these months it seems a little surreal. I'm hoping for an early date, of course, but the reality of it has brought on a bit of nervousness.

Hey Phyllser you heading south for the winter already lol. I think were going to have another wet long winter.Enjoy the sun and your Water arobics again.

Carol

Phyl, are you and DH headed south? Gosh, that time of year again... It's been so warm in Kansas City area this fall, it's hard to believe it is almost October. Take care and have a good safe trip.

Yep... headed SOUTH!

Seems early, but last year we waited until Nov. 1 &

Oct was cold, rainy and miserable!!

It's nice and warm here in the bay area!

Enjoying a few days with son and his family.

They're all going to San Jose hockey game soon.

GD, 11 yr old, & I are staying home and going out to dinner!

Her birthday is next weekend and we're going to be gone,

so we're going to Celebrate tonight... her & I!

Hi Ladies & Gents.

Things are finaly starting to happen. I seen my Pysc Doc & had my required Physical. Got a pssing grade from them both. Now waiting for the Bariatric teem to call for a meeting with Dr. Cleveland.

I have had a very Traumatic month. Just changed from a Dail-up to DSL system. DSL finaly arrive in my small remote town. (Puckett, MS. 300 people). I was helping my landlord replace a A/C compressor that went bad at my house and got on the recieving end of a big blast of freon. That made me sick for almost one week. I was just starting to feel better, so went out and started mowing my lawn. I drove over a Yellow Jackets under ground nest I did not know was there and started getting stung. I yelled for my wife to come and help me get into the house; before & shortly after I got in the house ; we were still killing them after I got in the house, I was stung about 3 Doz times. Went to the ER just to be on the safe side.

Doing just fine now.

WOW!! what a month.

Now just waiting for that phone call. I'm going to call the Bariatric teem the middle of this week to make sure the "Doc's" sent in the letters to OK my surgery.

Until next time,

Don

Hi Ladies & Gents.

Things are finaly starting to happen. I seen my Pysc Doc & had my required Physical. Got a pssing grade from them both. Now waiting for the Bariatric teem to call for a meeting with Dr. Cleveland.

I have had a very Traumatic month. Just changed from a Dail-up to DSL system. DSL finaly arrive in my small remote town. (Puckett, MS. 300 people). I was helping my landlord replace a A/C compressor that went bad at my house and got on the recieving end of a big blast of freon. That made me sick for almost one week. I was just starting to feel better, so went out and started mowing my lawn. I drove over a Yellow Jackets under ground nest I did not know was there and started getting stung. I yelled for my wife to come and help me get into the house; before & shortly after I got in the house ; we were still killing them after I got in the house, I was stung about 3 Doz times. Went to the ER just to be on the safe side.

Doing just fine now. WOW!! what a month.

Now just waiting for that phone call. I'm going to call the Bariatric teem the middle of this week to make sure the "Doc's" sent in the letters to OK my surgery. Until next time, Don

So sorry about your troubles, Don!!

But great to hear things are finally moving along for you!

You'll be banded soon!! GREAT newss!!

:lol::mellow::)

Joann Congratulations!!! Let us know when you get a date set for surgery. Isn't it amazing, you wait and wait and then you get nervous. I went though exactly the same thing.

Don Sorry to hear about your bad month. I sure hope all that bad stuff is behind you. Great news about you progress toward lap band surgery.

Wow. Lots going on now! Joann, you're on your way at last!! Congrats! Yay!

Phyllser, when do you leave for the sunny south and where will you be? I'll be down there eventually for a month or so over Christmas to visit my kids in Cape Coral, FL.

Don - wow good and bad! You are making good progress on your banding but how awful to be freon-blasted! And the yellow jackets - I had that same thing happen to me about 45 years ago and I still remember it vividly! ouch. Glad you are ok and did not have an allergic reaction to those stings.

I'm in my second week post-op now and enjoying thinking up interesting ways to get in my Protein and other things via purees. Fresh steamed cauliflower with a little cheese and chicken broth whipped smooth. Delicious! Today three shrimp liquified in a half cup of Tomato Soup. Not so bad. But looking forward to mushies....

Hope everyone's doing well tonight.

margie

Thanks to everyone for your support! I am looking forward to this week and hope to have a date in the next few days!

Margie, you are very creative. I'll be looking to you for more ideas during the full liquid stage. That shrimp/tomato Soup thing should be pretty darned good...

I'm so encouraged knowing all of you are doing this and are successful! I have read all the dietary information till I am blue in the face, and can recite most of it. However - I KNOW reading and reciting the information in no way compares to LIVING with it! I love seeing creative people make lemonade out of lemons, and you all are doing just that! (SF of course)

OK. I have 1 day until surgery and I don't think I'm ready. Where do I go for info on liquid diets? First I have heard about using the blender to mush normal foods. I thought you just had to suffer with broth and Jello. Please point me to the best place for ideas.

Don - sorry to hear of your bad week. But looks like you're on the move for banding.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

It seems that doctors have different recommendations, but mine required total (almost) Clear Liquids the first week. I was allowed V8 but other than that, it was broth, juice with Water, SF popsicles and Jello, water of course. What saved me that week was that I had made a huge roast (beef) the week before for a couple of dinner parties. We ate the meat but I froze the broth and it tasted like ambrosia!! My mom had also made real chicken broth and that was great too. The second week (after my 1-week appt with the surgeon) has been the puree stage. Everything has to be very, very smooth and fine. No lumps at all. There is also a list of food I"m not allowed (beans, coconut, etc) but most things can be processed into a nice puree (sort of reminds you of baby food which is not real appealing except after you've been on clear liquids for a week it seems pretty darned good). I think each surgeon has his/her own program so I'm sure he/she will tell you what to do. If not, we're here...

Good luck! Don't be scared. Keep in mind what the goal is and keep your "eye on the prize." I have been so amazed at how fast I have recovered. I'm even going in to work on Thursday just to help out.

Good luck! Anything else, just ask. I'm also happy to answer any personal questions that you might want to send to my private email - that goes for anyone that might want to ask something that they are embarrassed to ask the group.

margie

Margie,

Thanks. That is the diet they gave me. I was confused and thought I needed more information for the first week. I have the sf pops, chicken broth, sugar free or less then 5mg fruit juices, plus Protein Drinks. I'm going to buy some samples today. I'll concentrate on the chocolate ones. Just wanted to be sure I didn't need extra items. I'll be glad when Wednesday is here.

Carolyn

Oh, yikes. I had forgotten the Protein drinks. I had to drink 3 a day - at least 60 gm of protein a day. I like Designer whey. It dissolves easily. chocolate with a little DaVinci sugar free Syrup for extra flavor. I have a vanilla too - it combines with lots of different flavors...there are tons of those protein powders. Vitalady has all kinds of samples at vitalady.com Now I have to have one drink a day. Last night I whipped up a half a peach with the vanilla and added a splash of amaretto flavor and crushed ice. It was good. No, its not all that difficult but I was pretty confused about it before I actually had to do it! Good luck! margie

Wow! I got the call today telling me my surgery is set for Oct 20! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!! I'm a nurse and work Fri Sat and Sun. My surgery is on Monday, so I think I'll be okay with only taking one week off...that'll actually give me 11 days to get on my feet.

I've got my cupboard stocked and all the liquids and chewable meds I'll need. Hope I've thought of everything!!

Edited by LynnN