Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

:sad_smile: I do want to be there for Don. We've been married 45 years this past 3rd. We went to The Red Lobster for lunch. We've gone through a lot together.

Congrats!!

We've been married 44 yrs & we're about the same age as you guys.

There is one thing I'm wondering about. Do you have to give up coffee :D That would be a hard one for both Don and I. I just have to take one day at a time and not think about all the things that might go wrong.

This is different for different doctors, and even among staff members, as I found out!! At pre-op dietary consult the dietitian told me I had to quit caffeine and carbonated drinks. So I switched to Decaf coffee and gave up my Diet Coke. Then.... like THREE MONTHS later, I'm at my post-op appointment talking to my surgeon's P.A. and I ask her pleadingly, "Can I ever get off decaf coffee?????" She says, "WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU COULDN"T HAVE CAFFEINE???? That's not our dr's policy!" GRRRRR!! So I started drinking regular coffee again. NO carbonated drinks, however.

For some people it did not work and they always seem to say it's their fault if it doesn't work. Is that true? How could it be right for everyone and never be the Lab Bands isn't right for them?

It works as long as you work with it. If you eat/drink high calorie things, it won't work. You have to stick to the dietary program your doctor dictates, and try to get some kind of exercise. I have the knee issues, etc, too, but do Water aerobics whenever possible, push myself to walk as much as I can tolerate, and we bought a Wii which I use a lot to get me out of my chair and moving. But the band is only a tool and you have to "work the program" and you will be successful.

Things seem better in the day time. It's the night time when I lay down to sleep when I'll start to worry. I do take anxiety medicine, meds for depression, and a sleep aid. The one for the knee pain I quit. The side effects were just to scary.

I also take Keppra for Epilepsy. I can't believe just how many meds I take! Don even takes more than I do. I'm normally a cheerful lady. It's is on rare times I get stressed, like the time the IRS was on our backs. I better not go there. Love this forum! Nina

So glad you're here, Nina.

I guess I'm a little confused (nothing new there...) Nina, are you having the lapband surgery too, or just Don? I came on board after Don had been waiting and posting for quite a while, but I wasn't aware his wife was also being banded. Sorry to be asking someone to repeat information, but I'm a shamelessly nosy gal and just can't stand not being in the know!

I wish both of you the best of luck, no matter who's being banded!

I guess I'm a little confused (nothing new there...) Nina, are you having the Lap Band surgery too, or just Don? I came on board after Don had been waiting and posting for quite a while, but I wasn't aware his wife was also being banded. Sorry to be asking someone to repeat information, but I'm a shamelessly nosy gal and just can't stand not being in the know!

I wish both of you the best of luck, no matter who's being banded!

Joann

Still not banded but it won't be long now... :D

No, I'm not having it done, at least not yet. I am seeing how Don does first. I'm 5'5"1/2 inches tall , big boned, and at this time I weigh around 226 pounds if I weight first thing in the morning and after BM.

I had been up close to 240 pounds not long ago. It helps having a pain in the ass. I can't sit much and so am either walking around the house, standing or laying down. Sitting is very limited. That is why I'm losing. Pain is gain, they say. I wish we could afford to go to the Y again. We did Water arobics with a senior group. Now it's the cost of gas that's keeping us home. Wedo have a tread mill Don will be using and if I lose more weight, maybe I will.

Got to get moving now.

Been watching YouTub and the Lab Band surery.

NIna

I don't normal sleep in the day time. I wish I could.

Don will drive there. I will drive home. On the 15th he is having a EGD. I'll be driving home then also.

I can't do freeways, so will do the back roads.

I don't know yet if he will be spending the night there.Don says that Medicare might require that, but doesn't know for sure yet.

We do have a daughter and son-in-law here that might help if we should need them for some unforseen reasons I can't drive. We have not asked them yet. They both work and are so, so very busy! :D Their hard to get a hold of sometimes. :sad_smile:

Take care all,

Nina

Hi Guys, Haven't been on for a while - got too involved with Facebook. Just read the last few pages to catch up.

So glad to hear that Don has a surgery date and the rest of you are making progress.

Five months post-op, I have now lost 50 lbs (a milestone). I don't know how much the band has to do with it, but my counting and controlling calories seems to help. I can still eat a large quantity of healthy food at a time. I just must be careful to chew and not eat too fast. And, especially, choose the right foods.

We were at a football get-together (Go ND!) yesterday with a carry in. There were several good salads there, a mixed veggie salad (made by a diabetic lady), freezer coleslaw, and kidney bean salad. I ate at least a cup of each, plus a couple chicken wings sans skin. I never did get a full feeling, but then, I never do.

I plan to see my doctor next week. I am at 6 cc in an AP large band.

Perhaps I need a fill. I want to feel full sooner. Do you think that would help?

I will admit it is nice to be able to go to events and eat something. And to be able to go out for dinner with others and not call attention to myself.

I have a recently acquired Facebook addiction as well! Do you play Parking Wars???

Freezer cole slaw sounds intriguing! What is that? I love cabbage any way you serve it!

If you can eat that much, I'd say you probably do need a fill!

Hi Phyl, Are you back down south yet? I am eagerly looking forward to our return to Texas after Christmas.

No, I don't play Parking Wars, but it sound interesting. I play Mob Wars, Elven Blood, and Wordplay. All of my kids (or their spouses) are on Facebook, as well as 7 of 8 grandchildren, so its a way to find out what they're up to. Send me a friend request! My Facebook link is

Susan Crane | Facebook

Any other lapbanders are also welcome to do so. Just Put "Lap Band" in the message section of the friend request so I know who you are.

Freezer coleslaw is basically a sweet & sour slaw. You can find a recipe by googling it or there is one on The Daily Plate that seems to use Splenda. I plan to buy a cabbage & try it this week.

Just started my Pre-op diet today. It's not as bad as I exspected.

Morning: Protein Drink

Lunch: Lite normal lunch. Low fat; low calores, etc.

Supper: Protein Drink.

I should be able to handle that. The last week before my surgury date (Oct. 28th.) I'll become a "little" more strick.

I go to my Pre-op Education class tomarrow (Oct. 14th) and right after that go to the hospital to pre-register for something, maybe for the EGD on Weds. Tuesday night I'm going to the Support group meeting. It's going to be a very long day.

Weds (Oct. 15th) have my EGD, throut scope to make sure everything is ok down the pipes.

Thursday (Oct. 16th) go to Pre-op Nutrition counseling; after that have a meeting with the Surgeon (Dr. Cleveland).

No stopping me now,

Don

PS: Glad to see most erveryone else is doing well or progressing well.

Hi Phyl, Are you back down south yet? I am eagerly looking forward to our return to Texas after Christmas.

No, I don't play Parking Wars, but it sound interesting. I play Mob Wars, Elven Blood, and Wordplay. All of my kids (or their spouses) are on Facebook, as well as 7 of 8 grandchildren, so its a way to find out what they're up to. Send me a friend request! My Facebook link is

Susan Crane | Facebook

Any other lapbanders are also welcome to do so. Just Put "Lap Band" in the message section of the friend request so I know who you are.

Freezer coleslaw is basically a sweet & sour slaw. You can find a recipe by googling it or there is one on The Daily Plate that seems to use Splenda. I plan to buy a cabbage & try it this week.

Yeah, we got here last Tues. Good to be back!

I sent you a Facebook friends request.

Trying to figure out how you put your Facebook link in that post!!??

Guess just search for Phyllis Hand.

Hi Everyone Just got back from the doctor's office. I had my first fill today, so I am on Clear Liquids until this time tomorrow and then to full liquids, soft food, and back to normal food again. The fill was so easy. It was almost done before I knew what happened.

For other Facebookers who want to post a link to their page - just go to your Facebook page (not home), copy the page url at the top using highlight then control-c, then return to LapBandTalk, write your message and when you are ready for the link, hit control-v.

For other Facebookers who want to post a link to their page - just go to your Facebook page (not home), copy the page url at the top using highlight then control-c, then return to LapBandTalk, write your message and when you are ready for the link, hit control-v.

Okay, I'm going to try that right now!

Phyllis Hand | Facebook

Glad you are here Nina... being there for Don is good, and being there for YOU is good too. When is Don having the band? Maybe you and Don can walk together? Don't worry about what you have to Give Up to reach your weight goal, but what you will GAIN while you are reaching it. Don't think of these things as sacrafices, but as detours.

Most of the things we give up in the beginning, can be returned farther down the road. With some exceptions, of course. But by that time you won't be missing what you don't have. Put it out of your

mind, don't concentrate on the omissions, think up new things to replace them. I thought I would feel so deprived without a sweet treat now and then... now I'm not even tempted. I have sf treats and love every one of them. Think up different things you can fix for Dan,

and make it easy for him. By the time you decide whether or not you are going to have the band, you will be a veteran. Good luck to you both. If you want to support Dan... Support Dan, your turn will come later and by then you will be ready. Hang in there. Pati