Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

HI Nancy. Thanks for the welcome and for the kind words! I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I've only lost 11 in the one month since surgery. 35 came off before it. You are so right about my finally doing something for myself. It took me 62 years to learn that if I don't take care of myself, then I can't do anything for anyone else.

Phyl, thanks for the words of advice. No, I haven't had a fill yet. I was "almost" thinking about putting it off, because half my weight is gone, but why did I have the surgery to do this without the band's help? I guess there is still some part of me that feels like I "should" be able to do this. "Should's, ought's and have to's" are the bane of my existence.

No, I don't have a support group nearby. Cedars is anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes away, depending on the traffic and I just don't have the time to go there. I am finding lapbandtalk.com AMAZING! I have learned so much here and if I come to this site everyday, it could be better than a once a week support group.

As for exercise, I guess I have to think if I do one thing more today than yesterday, then I'm OK.

Well, I'm off to try to plan how I can be good to myself tonight, since it's been such a long day. I wonder if Dr. Cunneen stuck that sentence in my mind during surgery, because in my pre-lap band days, that was the last thing on my mind.

Nice to meet you all.

Ellen

Edited by wiredshut
grammar, spelling

Ellen, welcome to this thread. I've met you on other threads and always enjoy your posts. I really love these groups - great support and sharing.

weirdspot. Hi seems Nancy has given you the best sensible basic advice you can receive. I would add that I can't exercise either. Knees, hips, etc from excessive weight over the years. And I have done all the diets there are known, and was successful, but always put it back on. Now that is where the band comes in. It helps prevent you putting it back on unless you make a concerted effort to sabatogue yourself. Exercise is simply moving. So chasing your grandchild around is very good exercise. Don't believe me, join the FitDay website and track your foods and execise. If you type in any household chore and the time, it will tell you the energy expended. I do not do any formal exercise - just walk and I have lost 2 lbs per month consistantly. Welcome to the club. Doddie :thumbup:

sblue Good advice from a non bandster. You have to allow your body to heal and to slowly introduce yourself back to the proper foods. Until you are familiar with amounts, you should track and weigh all foods as well as your exercise. I use Fitday.com that is free. Having the band is simply a tool to add to your arsenal to lose weight and is not intended to be a foot race to meeting your goal. The intention is to assist you in changing your eatng habits and choices. It is not an easy road, you have to work at it. I vomited just yesterday because I chose to forget my doctors warning not to eat Pasta. Dangerous lesson, but that is how my mind works. It is constantly trying to get me back into old eating patterns. So patients, keep posting when you have questions or simply want to vent your frustrations, someone will help you out. Good luck. Doddie :thumbup:

I need help! I am 67 and had my first fill two weeks ago. I have not lost a pound since, and I am very hungry at meal time. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello Iam 67 can I join this group ? I was in the 67 group

let me tell you about me .I am 67 and pre/op I amgoing through kaiser I have had a hard time losing the weight to make goal i have dia betes, High blood pressure ,gout ,knee ,back pain ankle pain and you name it I have it except heart problems .I take 95 units of 70/30 novaln insulin I have lost 18 of the 22 lbs i need to lose I have been tring to lose this sense 2006 I only have 4 more to go which i have been trying to lose for the last four months I retain Water and it causes me to go up and down 4 to 5 lbs I am on lasix for the water

I had gotton to point where I was not going to have the lap band done but my sister talked me into continuing because It helps diabeties so i will continue to try now I have a nasty cold must be a viris going around .would like to know if there is any one on this board in the central valley near Atwater ca.

jazz:rolleyes2:

I have to say something about exercise. I am the worst about that. I belong to Shapes and love Water aerobics, but don't go nearly enough. I do walk every day. I am teaching resource this year, which requires me to walk (a LOT) everyday, back and forth from one end of the school to the other (and our school is 4 buildings long), so that is a lot of good exercise that I need. I should wear a pedometer to track it; the p.e. coach gave all the teachers a pedometer and I always forget to wear mine. I know that any exercise is better than being sedentary (which I was before the band).

As for aches and pains and physical problems, I have arthritis (have had it since early childhood), have no knee caps (really! it's bone on bone), have a bad back and before the band, I was barely walking and used an electric scooter to get around at school. I was on 14 meds (also had ridiculously high bp). I am now off all meds and walk just fine (the pain in my knees is tolerable--someday I will have artificial kneecaps put in, when I reach my goal). I feel like a new woman and cannot wait until I reach my goal, but it's probably a year or two off.

Nancy

Thank you for your kind words I will take my cane and try to walk .I tried Water exercise and my doctor told me one hr. was to much because i would be in so much pain after and i also went to curves and that was to much .so now I will try walking a little .just grocer shoping is to much for me .thank you for the advice i just want to get the 4 lbs off and get the band then hopefully i can do more once i have lost some more weight

Thank you

jazzey

Jazzey I feel your pain...I've been there and it's so nice when it starts to get better! When I started out, I could barely make it to the mail box (even with a cane). I promised my surgeon I would walk a bit each day, and at first it wasn't much, but I did it, first thing every morning. Once I could get to the mail box and back, the next step was the corner and back. Each day, I pushed it just a tiny bit more. Honey, I weighed 327 pounds when I started this. At 5' 5 1/2" and 58 years old, that was a nightmare! I was banded June 10, and have only lost 46 pounds, but I am 100% better now. You will be, too. Just believe in yourself and take small steps. If you follow your doctor's instructions, this will work for you, too. Good luck!

Nancy

Thank you so much for you kindness and encouragement I am at 219 and have to get to 214 for the surgeryMy ankle hurts so bad I can hardley walk the cane helps me a lot I will start with baby steps and walk up to the corner every day until i ket stronger then i will go up to the track at the school

and walk as much as I can then I will go from there

I just want to get the band as soon as possable

Thank you for your kind words I will take my cane and try to walk .I tried Water exercise and my doctor told me one hr. was to much because i would be in so much pain after and i also went to curves and that was to much .so now I will try walking a little .just grocer shoping is to much for me .thank you for the advice i just want to get the 4 lbs off and get the band then hopefully i can do more once i have lost some more weight Thank you jazzey

I'm surprised your doctor said that about water aerobics. That's my preferred exercise as it's easy on the joints. We winter in Southern CA and I do water aerobics 4-5X a week. Only pain afterwards is sometimes in one foot that I broke years ago, and that often happens even without exercise.

But your determination is obvious and I commend you for exploring different ways of getting in some exercise.

You ARE going to do this and succeed!!

7_5_137.gif

18_4_100v.gif

7_5_142.gif

He said that because I had not exexcised in a while and to start off doing and Hr. is to much I have as of to day drooped another lb Now I have three to go now but I going to try to go below my goal because their scale is always five lbs more than mine and I have a weight watchers scale pluse they weigh shoes and all whenI go to get weighed I wear slides that I can slip off and I wear very light cloths like gauze or somethig of that sort have a great day and god bless

Hi everyone,

Well my name is Rosie and I am from Montana, 67 yrs and had my first appt. in May, thought I would be banded by now, but this is a long process I am finding out.

My primary ins. is medicare, and my second is blue cross and blue shield....I am told my insurance will pay for the lapband because I have medicare as primary. but just when I will be banded I don't know. I have been to all the classes and Aug. 13 I met with my doc. for my pre op......So I guess it's hurry up and wait.

I am so tired as I spend alot of time on this web site, there are so many didn't stopics........I have been to lots and lots of them, until I can't see any more.

I haven't gotten around to working on getting pic. and such but am enjoying reading your comments and advice.......:angry:

Hi Rosie I have been waiting sense Nov 16 2006have done every thing I am 3 lbs from my goal weight Have been trying to lose it for four months It was first one thing then another I will go up 5 lbs then down four and it has been an up and down thing for the last 4 months I finnerly did drop one lb then i cought this what ever is going aroung bug but I'm not giving up I'll get the three lbs off i have lost 19 lbs so far and I'll get the last 3 off or bust .just hang in there It will come and you'll be banded . good luck

Jazzey

Hi Jazzy, wow that is a long time.....I haven't been told that I have to lose any weight before banding, but who knows what is coming.

I am 224 lbs and 5'1.....I also have back problems leg problems, in fact my whole body hurts.... I am on oxygen, it use to be just when ever, now it is most all the time.....No matter what I do I can't breath. I am hoping that once i start losing this weight I will be able to breath, and walk and ride a bike and play with my grand children, my body feels old but my mind and heart are not...I can't believe that I had never heard about banding before this year......what ,do I live in a bubble? My doc. is the one that told me about banding and so now I wait for my prince charming to slip that little ring on!

I sure enjoy this lapbandtalk, and am so glad to meet everyone.....

Ma

Edited by MaRosie
spelling