Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oct 07 Bandsters - how are you doing?

It seems we're all playing "follow the leader" with our journey. We were all excited with anticipation, then somewhat disappointed roughly 1 month out... and here we are over 3 months later.

Just wondering how everyone else is doing? How many fills? How much have you lost? How many cc's in your band? Are you happy, or still in the "Bandster Hell" phase?

Personally, I'm finally liking the band. I was NOT a big fan at first (felt as though it wasn't working at all!). After 3 fills (5.5 CC's in a AP Small band), I finally feel content. I'm slowly losing, and I'm confident I'll pick up the pace after my next fill (2 weeks). It was long and agonizing waiting for restriction - but, I can honestly say the "sweet spot" is within view.

I hope you're all starting to make nice with your bands too!

:smile:

I am making nicer. Going for another fill Jan 26. I hope to hit my sweet spot. I think my greatest accomplishment so far was over xmas I lost 1 1/2 lb. I thought I had gained. O and went to the gym today and was measured by my trainer. Lost 6inches around the mid section. OMG!

WRITTEN IN ALL HONESTY!

There have been so many times in the last three months that I wish I had just went ahead with the more radical gastric bypass. I spent the time after surgery and after my first fill fighting with my band and trying to figure out how much I could still eat.

*SIGH*

After my second fill, which was right before Christmas, I was still trying to fight and BP'd multiple times after every meal - you may remember my post about that. It was a horrific existence that I don't want to revisit. I swear I spent more time in the bathroom puking than living.

Over the last two weeks, I have come into peace not only with my choice to get this band , but with my decision to stop fighting it. In thinking about it, why in the hell was I fighting against something I chose to do to make myself healthier? The demons of self-comfort and placation do not die easily. I am seeing more and more that addiction to food is just as consuming as addictions to other substances.

I've lost 33 pounds. I'm going to stay positive. I'm going to live long and be healthy. I'm not going to whine. I am going to bloom where I've chosen to be planted.

Some of you need to pull up your big girl (or boy) pants and get on with it, don't you think?

Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in here much but I too had surgery in October. I have lost 26 lbs and have had two fills in the my 14cc band. Now at 8 ccs. The first fill was basically useless and so far the second one isn't proven effective yet either. One thing I can say though is that I dont' have cravings and i am able to stop eating without feeling neglected or starving. But if I wanted to eat everything on my plate, I easily could. I go for another fill next month. Doc said to be patient with restriction with the large band. I also have no food issues and can eat all foods which is okay with me. Don't want pb'ing or sliming thing either. I am losing very slowly and there are times that I dont' lose for weeks. I don't know if more restriction is the answer though because I eat 1,000 cals a day and the weight still really doesn't come off. I am now going to the gym and still no big drops that you would think. But, I will be patient. I am happy with the fact I can stop eating as soon as I feel satisfied, not full, and not have the cravings I use to. So if it takes longer, so be it. I can't figure it out so I am not going to stress about it either. Glad you are all doing better and finding peace with the band. It is a constant adjustment - no pun intended. Good luck to everyone.

I had my 2nd fill 2 days ago and really don't feel any different. Maybe I would if I pushed it, but I'm trying real hard to eat as if I have restritcion. I can have another fill in 2 weeks if I need it and the thought of that keeps me more on track. Things don't seem so hopeless.

I am really excited about my band. I was disenchanted for a while, until my doctor lit a fire under my ass, and I started working out. Now all the sudden, I am working to accomodate my band, versus thinking it should accomodate me.

I am staying focused, we all knew this wasn't a magical solution from the get go, we'd have an easy time, but nothing worth having is easy to get. I am losing about 10 pounds a month, which, to be honest with you, is a helluva lot more than I ever lost before. I have had my second fill, and have really nice restriction, I could probably have a little bit more of a fill, but I am working with what I have right now.

Other than that, since I have lost this weight, I am getting up earlier, I can run up stairs again. Its nice not to be invisible to men anymore, and I feel a million times better. No hair loss as of yet, either.

Question, does anyone still have an ache in their port sometimes?

I've rarely posted on the board... But I am on here everyday, probably more than I should be at work! This board has kept me sane regarding my band journey.

When I was struggling, you guys were too. I didn't feel like a complete failure because I was "normal." You guys have really kept my positive about my experience.

Now, I feel my disenchantment for my band has subsided... I had my 3rd fill on January 5th. That brought me up to 8.8 cc's in a VG band. I now have restriction. I've had a couple PB episodes that weren't pretty. Note: Just seeing if a doughnut will go down at 8 am resulting puking it back up into the paper bag in which I received it, YUCK!, was not the brightest idea!

So now I have restriction. It's not my sweet spot, but its close. I can live with this for a couple more weeks as I learn to eat with my band. It didn't matter at all what I ate until 3 weeks ago. I've lost 32 lbs. which looks right on par with the rest of guys and that is comforting.

Thanks for posting you guys... I appreciate your experience and benefit from it more than you can imagine!

Butterball you hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better myself! I feel exactly the same way. I am learning to love my band for the way it keeps me from eating bread, Bagels, burgers etc..! I have found that as soon as something does not go down or hurts I am turned off by eat so it forces me to make better choices.

I have loved my band from the beginning. I feel its the best thing ever. I've only had one fill so far. They won't let me have another until my weight loss is less than 2 pounds per week average. So I only have 3 cc's in a 14 cc band. I'm not at my sweet spot, but have a little restriction. I can eat about 1 cup per meal with no difficulties and am quite satisfied. I also can eat most anything, but am trying to stay with Protein first and then good carbs. I also try to stay away from anything white, but I do eat some whole grain breads.

At times I feel that its too good to be true. I've always tried so hard in the past and it never seemed to matter. Now it seems to me that I hardly try and yet it still comes off. Sounds strange, doesn't it. It doesn't make sense that it works so good for me and others seem to have a very rough time. Thanks for listening.

I remain very content with my band. I don't have much Fluid in my 10cc band- just 1.3cc and I will probably get another tiny fill on Wednesday. I am pretty satisfied- I can eat anything I want in smaller quantities- have comfortable restriction until the evening and then I really have to watch. I am beginning to think it is thirst rather then hunger and I try to remember to drink more instead of reaching for the cheesy crunchy. I do seem to plateau alot. I'll loose a pd or 2 and then yo yo around it for awhile and then loose again. It is as if my body is adjusting before it'll hand over more wt. But I can really see it in my clothes, if not the scale. I have only one pair of pants and a couple of shirts to wear,and I just bought them. I'm thrilled. (size 14, no more plus sizes!!!!)

I too read these posts alot, but rarely chime in. I was banded October 4, and have lost 40 pounds. I just got my second fill, of 2ccs, and I think that I am almost there...at me sweet spot. I can't eat bready things, but can eat mostly anything else I want, and unfortunately, I could eat lots of it if I wanted to. I've been frustrated that I have only lost 40 pounds....and all of that in the beginning. I have not lost more than a pound in a month. Grrr. My next fill is Feb 6...so I'm hoping to get to my sweet spot then. Trying not to be frustrated.

I just got my first fill on Thursday. I was kindof back and forth on whether I needed one. I am getting a little more hungry and eating a little more bigger portions, so I couldn't decide. I decided to try it and got 3cc's. I already had 2cc's from surgery, so I have a total of 5cc's. I am not sure if I notice a change or not since still taking it easy these first few days doing the full liquid and then soft foods. I guess in the next few days as I start to eat normally again I will see if I notice a difference with restriction. I have over the last few weeks made exercise a daily priority and feeling great. I just went through my closet and tried on some shirts that did not have an X behind them and they fit! I could not believe it. I guess I am losing inches even if the scale is not moving really fast. I lose a little, and then stay the same for a few weeks, and then it starts over again. I am only a few pounds from onederland and can't wait to cross that threshhold!

Good Job Everyone!

I am really loving the band lately. I am down 28.5 at this point and have lost all desire for food. This is a miracle.

I have yet to PB and can eat any type food that I want - I either dont want anything or have been choosing healthy. Go figure.

I am over a third of the way to my goal - amazing. Normally January is a rough month for me always starting a new diet - not this year.

Have a great day.

I love my band. I too struggled in the beginning. I wasn't prepared mentally for the patience it takes between surgery and restriction. I am down 34 pounds and have started exercising, so I expect the weight loss to pick up. I have had have had 4 fills and am at 7cc in my 10cc ap small band. I have pretty good restriction. I am hoping that my fill in early Feb will find my sweet spot. After over a month of no weight loss I have lost 10+ pounds in the last 3 weeks. My band and I are finally working together.

Butterball, you are so right. A lot of it had to do with just putting on my big girl panties and getting with it.

I was banded Oct 29th and have not lost any weight since two weeks post op. I have had only one fill and can't get in to see the doctor until Feb 14th. I am discouraged but I have renewed convicition to work with this tool because I do have some restriction, I probably eat about 20% less food. I just can't figure out why i'm not losing. I did very well through December but its just so darn cold out right now and I get bored on the treadmill. It does help to hear from other people going through the same thing. Thanks all.