Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

girls only please...regarding TOM

i posted this in the general forum a month or so ago, but most of my responses came from women who are close to menopausal age, so i thought i would post it here.

since my surgery (in october), i have only had one period, and it lasted 4 hours. i have taken prego tests..one was positive, five were negative. i do not know that i am not pregnant, but i assume that if i were, i would get more than one positive.

has anyone else experienced this. also, my calories are still pretty high and i have only lost 10 lbs since surgery, so i doubt it is a low calorie, or high weight loss side effect.

My periods were normal. I've always had heavy periods, but for short durations, usually about 3 days, sometimes just 1 or 2.

Why not go to the doctor and have them give you a pregnancy test if you have any doubt?

As for the atypical cycle, how many periods have you had since surgery? If you missed one, are you 0 for 1, or...?

I would go to the doctor and have them do a blood test for pregnancy. false positives are not common and if you have only had one cycle that lasted 4 hours that could be implantation bleeding.

but then again it could be just the shock of your body going thru surgery. I have had no change or minimal at best on my cycles, once a month my visitor comes.

I would really seriously look at making an appointment with my pcp at this point. IMHO

i remember hearing something like you can have false negatives but no false positive results?? i dont know for sure. i would go to the doctor and get a blood test. better to know for sure then just wonder. do you have any other symptoms? breast tenderness? morning sickness? fatigue?

good luck!

umm...I would definatley see a doctor..your body had so much truama with the surgery it could have thrown your hormones off balance it did mine...I had to go to my "down there" doctor lol it's all good now she just said my body was trying to adjust to the difference.

Uhhhhh..... well...... uhhhhhh.... there can be false negatives, but not really false positives..... uhhhhh

CONGRATULATIONS?

I've also heard no such thing as a false positive.... but there is false negative. At the same time, your body has been through a lot and could be thrown right off. Go to the Doctor.

thank you gals for your input. i asked my band doctor about it yesterday. they said to get a test, but that some people are usually late like once. i said "late once...it is january and i haven't had a period since october...i've missed november, december's, and now january's. not to mention the one in october lasted for 4 hours. lol.

as far as symptoms, let me just say that i have gotten the worse acne in the world. it's starting to clear up now, but it's all over my face and my chest even...my back...gross!!!! band doctor said the anestesia can cause that, but at this point it is my hormones and not the anestesia. and i have had tingly nipples. i know tmi, but the only other time in my life i had tingly nipples was when i was pregnant. please let me know if any of you get tingly nipples with pms. also, i have not had any side cramping at all, but i have had some center lower abdomen cramping, which is not usual for me. and of course, i'm tired, but that is nothing new. i don't think pregnancy symptoms are real common in the beginning anyways. with my last pregnancy i didn't know i was pregnant until i was almost 4 months. if i am pregnant now, then it looks like that will be the case again.

i made an appointment with a ob/gyn (i usually just go to my pcp) for feb 4, but i go to my pcp this afternoon for a blood test.

i will let you guys know the results. it's probably just crazy hormone's.

Yeah, you definately need to get a blood test, it's very very rare to get a false positive.

i understand that it is rare to get a false positive, but how rare is it to have 5 false negative's.

Uhhhhh..... well...... uhhhhhh.... there can be false negatives, but not really false positives..... uhhhhh

CONGRATULATIONS?

i would be happy, honestly. with the exception that i am self pay and money is tight, i would be happy. i'm high risk, but it would probably be ok. besides, my doc said that not all people remove their fill and a lot of people lose weight while banded and pregnant. not to mention, that it would be kind of nice to be pregnant and get that over with BEFORE i lose all my weight. (i don't really want to get big again after i'm there, and i want plastics). :pray2:

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that my stomach sticks out. i know that you don't usually show until after 3 months, which is why i would think that i am not pregnant...but i look it..and i didn't prior to surgery.

doc said he is not familiar with that, and he hasn't had anyone have a bigger stomach after surgery (that's 1 out of 1000 doc)..lol.

Some women can take 100 tests and they come out negative when in fact they are positive. Have you been trying to get pregnant? Because you have so many syptoms of pregnancy, of course that could be the answer. But, if you are wanting to get pregnant, your body can start showing syptoms when you are not, a mind game if you will. I've known a lot of women to have this happen to them. I would get a blood test and an ultrasound. Then you'll know for sure.

i understand that it is rare to get a false positive, but how rare is it to have 5 false negative's.

Some women can take 100 tests and they come out negative when in fact they are positive. Have you been trying to get pregnant? Because you have so many syptoms of pregnancy, of course that could be the answer. But, if you are wanting to get pregnant, your body can start showing syptoms when you are not, a mind game if you will. I've known a lot of women to have this happen to them. I would get a blood test and an ultrasound. Then you'll know for sure.

i just went and had a blood test drawn today. i will find out tomorrow. i wouldn't say that i am trying to get pregnant. i was taking birth control until i had no period (i continued after i had the 4 hour period). then, i haven't started taking it again. i don't think i will either. i think i feel better not being on it. but..who knows. however, i do secretly want to get pregnant, but just some day, not right now. we already have a 6 year old. so, i don't know if i want it bad enough for the head games. nonetheless, i have had a blood test done, and i have scheduled a gyno appointment. :tt1:

...so is the nipple tingly thing a symptom...or is it just something weird. i haven't noticed darkening areola's.