Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Lansing, anyone use Sparrow?

I'm still waiting on insurance approval (BCBS). It's going on the 5th week so I'm hoping it will be soon!!!!! Once it comes back, I should be able to get a surgery date ASAP. Carrie, in the office, told me on Wednesday that they are scheduling for mid-March right now and that would work well for me so I'm hoping. Let me know once you get your date; we may end up in the same pre-op group.

This makes me a sad panda, I have BCBS and my doctor hasn't gave Hurley all the stuff they need to hand in my packet. I keep calling the office and they say the doctor has my files and he is working on it.

This means I might have to wait for another 5 weeks? Yikes! :huh2:

I'm sorry we didn't see each other last week. I came in late and it was busy! I'm out of town this week but I hope that we can catch up on the 17th. Hope all is going well with your pre-op diet! I'm sure you're doing great!

Snuffy, I'm sorry, I know how frustrating the waiting is. I can tell you, though, once you get through it, it will seem like it was nothing! Hang in there!

have you had your surgery yet? how long did the authorization for insurance take? I have my surgery consultation tomorrow. Now that I've made the decision, I want to move forward!!

Just found out I'll be having surgery on April 28th. How did you 4 week Optifast go and more importantly, how did your surgery go?

How did your surgery go? I'm going through Sparrow too, so I'd love to hear your experiences. I'm just meeting with the surgeon tomorrow, so I don't know how long it will be to get scheduled for surgery, insurance authorization, etc. How long did it all take for you? How was the optifast?

My surgery was March 18th. My first appointment was in October so the whole process took 5 months. Probably not all that bad considering the holidays and all. Good luck with yours, I hope it goes well. Are in Lansing too?

Jeanette,

Just checking in, hopefully you are home and resting. I hope everything went well. Drop me a quick email when you get a minute. Kepp walking, drink your Water and rest! Take care, Anita

Jeanette,

Just checking in, hopefully you are home and resting. I hope everything went well. Drop me a quick email when you get a minute. Kepp walking, drink your Water and rest! Take care, Anita

Hi Anita. Yes, had my surgery and I'm really really sore still. My gas pains aren't in my shoulders as happens to most, mine are going to my back. Lovely. I'm sipping my Water and pacing my apartment.

How are you doing now that you're past this stage?

How did your surgery go? I'm going through Sparrow too, so I'd love to hear your experiences. I'm just meeting with the surgeon tomorrow, so I don't know how long it will be to get scheduled for surgery, insurance authorization, etc. How long did it all take for you? How was the Optifast?

The staff at SWMC are awesome. Dr Y is great too. All in all my process from info meeting until the 28th took about 4 months. Optifast was actually pretty easy. I do much much better being told what/when/how much to eat rather than 'cut back'. I am still doing Optifast for another week after surgery but now it's difficult to get it all in.

Good luck to you! Keep in touch.

Congratulations Jeanette! Keep walking and sipping, gas-x can be helpful too. I'm doing well. I had my first fill two weeks ago and I can still feel the restriction. The mental hunger is tricky for me and I can see where the restriction is helpful in dealing with that. My weight loss has slowed down a bit in the last two weeks but I'm at 31 pounds lost so I'm pleased with that. The great news is that I did my monthly measurements and I've had signicant losses in inches over the last month; like 2 inches + everywhere. If you haven't taken measurements yet, I'd really recommend it. It can definitely help measure your success when the scale doesn't cooperate. :thumbup: I'll be at SWMC next Thursday (May 8th) to make up a class that I missed so we should be in the same group. Maybe we can officially meet? Take care and email if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help with....

I'll be at SWMC next Thursday (May 8th) to make up a class that I missed so we should be in the same group. Maybe we can officially meet?

That would be nice!

SWMC told me I'll have to schedule an apt with the nutritionist in a couple weeks, did you do that or did they just take all the banders at once?

How long were you sore? I'm still terribly sore and can't seem to eat much yet.

The soreness lasted for about a week. Everyday got a little bit better till there was just an occasional twinge here & there. At two weeks out, I had moments where I could have almost forgotten that I even had it done. So, just hang in there, it does get better.

My follow-up with the nutrionist was held following class one evening and it was a group session with everyone who had had surgery the same day. I didn't schedule it, Carrie was teaching the class that night and had mentioned that she would meet with us after class. It was very helpful to get the menus and have the chance to ask specific questions.

Don't worry about your appetite, it will come back! :smile: I had a few weeks where I really didn't care about food (or drinking) at all. And then it came back with a vengeance about 3 weeks out. I should have called Dr Y's office to see about moving my fill appt up but I thought I had to wait the full 4 weeks so I toughed it out. When I went in for my fill, he said that I could always call ahead if I'm too hungry prior to the next appointment. Everyone is different though, just try to get your drinks down as best you can, and enjoy the extra weight loss! :lol:

Edited by apeters

how did the Optifast go? i am starting on it friday. Is that all I get for the next 4 weeks? How did you survive? Did you have your surgery yet? How did it go? I'm going throug Sparrow and it seems that you are one of the few on this board also going through sparow.

Karen

how did the Optifast go? i am starting on it friday. Is that all I get for the next 4 weeks? How did you survive? Did you have your surgery yet? How did it go? I'm going throug Sparrow and it seems that you are one of the few on this board also going through sparow.

Karen

Actually not too bad! I did better doing Optifast than I have been eating my mushies now. I'm the kind of person where if ou tell me what/when and how much to eat, I'm fine, but tell me to cut down on whatever and I'm at a loss.

The 4 meetings pre-surgery were a lot better than I expected too. I'll be there tomorrow and maybe we'll see each other.

Oh, to answer your questions, yes, that's all you get but it really isn't too bad. Good luck!

Hi Sparrow Bandsters,

I see several of you are from Lansing and Lansing area. I'm not yet banded, still jumping through hoops. I am going to Hurley in Flint because I have to go to a Center of Excellence and Sparrow is not yet so designated, but should be soon. However, I had already started the process at Hurley when I learned that.

Anyway, I was just wondering how you all are doing now that you are a few months out. What advice do you have to make things go smoother through pre, surgery, and post-op.

Thanks for any advice.

maggie:thumbup: