Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Lansing, anyone use Sparrow?

Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum as of today. I live in Lansing and am going through Sparrow Weight Management.

On Thursday I go in for my medical and behavioral assessments.

Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes from that appointment to surgery? I know they'll require a 2 or 4 week liquid diet, (I forget which) beforehand.

I chose lapband because I worry about the malabsorption possibilities with bypass. I was waivering until I read someone else's post.

I think I'll be coming in here quite often and look forward to meeting/knowing many of you here. :cool:

I went to Mexico so I don't know how long sparrow takes till surgery. I am not too far from you. I live in Gregory. (next to Stockbridge)

I'm going through SWMC too. I finished all of the pre-authorization requirements and now I'm just waiting on insurance approval. I have BCBS and the staff warned me that it might take a while. It's been a month so I hope to get an answer soon. Last I heard they were scheduling surgeries mid to late February so depending on your insurance situation, once you complete the 4 week pre-op diet, you'll be set! Best of luck to you, I hope it's smooth sailing!

Thank you to both of you. Nope, Gregory isn't too far at all.

I have PHP and have been pre-approved. when I went to SWM they are trained to say "up to 6 months" and I couldnt' get them to narrow it down, except I was told it will be greatly shortened because of being pre-approved. It's agrrivating not getting exact answers from them, so I'm happy to have gotten a better answer from you apeters. Thank you. Good luck to you too.

I understand about the frustration. From my experience with the process and with your pre-approval, I would think that as soon as you complete your evaluation and meet with Dr. Yenemula, you'll probably get your date 4 weeks out. Have you used the Optifast products before?

Well I have two more appointments next week to finish all the pre-whatevers they require then I suppose it'll be the Optifast first. I'm just really anxious to get started. I'm sick of being fat. lol

Oh, almost forgot to answer. Never have I used Optifast before. I have a couple friends who did it and they eventually learned to hate it, but I'm a bit more optimistic!

Hi

I went to Sparrow, but I ended up not using them. They require a pretty extensive and EXPENSIVE pre op program. I didn't see the point! I ended up going to Hurley in Flint. I was very happy there, if it doesn't work out at Sparrow try there. You may be surprised at what all Sparrow actually requires. Good luck.

I've heard that Ingham Regional now has a weight loss thing too but I don't know. I do know with the Optifast and other tests it is expensive out of pocket and that's a royal pain, but I also think if I have to pay for any of it, I'll work that much harder at doing it right. Make sense?

I've heard that Ingham Regional now has a weight loss thing too but I don't know. I do know with the Optifast and other tests it is expensive out of pocket and that's a royal pain, but I also think if I have to pay for any of it, I'll work that much harder at doing it right. Make sense?

If that is what makes you think you will do it then go for it. But I can tell you that I AM SURE I lost more weight without the Optifast because I was able to have surgery right away. But if you think the out of pocket will help you stay focused you should do it. It depends on where you are I think in your head. I was ready for it now, and wasn't wanting to wait anymore.

If that is what makes you think you will do it then go for it. But I can tell you that I AM SURE I lost more weight without the Optifast because I was able to have surgery right away. But if you think the out of pocket will help you stay focused you should do it. It depends on where you are I think in your head. I was ready for it now, and wasn't wanting to wait anymore.

Good point! :frown:

I've been involved with Sparrow's program for a few years now and one of the things that has impressed me from the beginning was the quality of the staff. From the desk staff to the nurses to the doctors, I've had a great experience. When I decided to pursue the surgery, I couldn't imagine going somewhere else. My visit with Dr. Yenemula just cinched the deal, he spent over 30 minutes talking to me and answering all of my questions. I appreciate the fact that Sparrow is the program that will be with me throughout the process (in fact, they told me they will follow me for at least 5 years within the program for evaluation, etc.): being affiliated with a hospital gives me comfort that I will always have someplace to go with any questions or concerns 10 or 20 years down the road.

The 4 week pre-op & 4 week post-op programming, attending the meetings each week and having the chance to ask questions of people who have had the surgery is part of the preparation. I've read that there is a medical benefit to losing a little weight before the surgery to shrink the liver (reduces surgery risk) and I don't mind a kickstart either. With my insurance plan, I will be paying my % no matter where I get it done. My portion will probably be $2500-3000, my best guess at this point. I'm in this for the long haul so whatever I need to do, I will.

Sorry for the long post. Can you tell that I've had a lot of time to think about this? :lol: In the end, you need to do what is best for you but I would encourage you to talk to Sparrow staff if you have any concerns at all. Best to you....

BBK:

Congratulations on your success! Your photos are amazing! Any special tips you'd share? How long did the weight loss take? Thanks in advance for any information.

ALP

I've been involved with Sparrow's program for a few years now and one of the things that has impressed me from the beginning was the quality of the staff. From the desk staff to the nurses to the doctors, I've had a great experience. When I decided to pursue the surgery, I couldn't imagine going somewhere else. My visit with Dr. Yenemula just cinched the deal, he spent over 30 minutes talking to me and answering all of my questions. I appreciate the fact that Sparrow is the program that will be with me throughout the process (in fact, they told me they will follow me for at least 5 years within the program for evaluation, etc.): being affiliated with a hospital gives me comfort that I will always have someplace to go with any questions or concerns 10 or 20 years down the road.

The 4 week pre-op & 4 week post-op programming, attending the meetings each week and having the chance to ask questions of people who have had the surgery is part of the preparation. I've read that there is a medical benefit to losing a little weight before the surgery to shrink the liver (reduces surgery risk) and I don't mind a kickstart either. With my insurance plan, I will be paying my % no matter where I get it done. My portion will probably be $2500-3000, my best guess at this point. I'm in this for the long haul so whatever I need to do, I will.

Sorry for the long post. Can you tell that I've had a lot of time to think about this? :) In the end, you need to do what is best for you but I would encourage you to talk to Sparrow staff if you have any concerns at all. Best to you....

I have to also agree with your reasoning as well. I haven't met Dr. Yenemula yet but I think I will be next week. I go on Monday and Thursday and I *think* I'll be getting my date for surgery. The only thing at this point that I find a nuisance is the weekly meetings - I'm a divorced mother of a 14 year old and a 2 year old and work 10 hour days four days/week. I also have MS and take my shots on Thursday nights making me no good to anyone on Fridays as it makes me feel like I have the flu. :) I do thank God for sick leave time!:redface:

I admit I'm afraid to go anywhere else and have to go through the approval process yet again. I do like the staff so far, those I've seen anyway.

Do you have a surgery date yet or have you had your surgery yet?

I'm still waiting on insurance approval (BCBS). It's going on the 5th week so I'm hoping it will be soon!!!!! Once it comes back, I should be able to get a surgery date ASAP. Carrie, in the office, told me on Wednesday that they are scheduling for mid-March right now and that would work well for me so I'm hoping. Let me know once you get your date; we may end up in the same pre-op group.