Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

Wasa,

Well I see this is a deep area of concern for you. :)

My hernia repair was a lot more than one stitch. And of the $17,000 for self pays at the time, the lion's share went to the hospital. The surgeons can't help what the hospitals have to charge to stay in business.

As for greed factor, I'd say any "cosmetic" type surgeries have the greed factor. Should most of those surgeries cost the kind of money they do? At least if you go to Mexico for that you don't have to worry about after care for the rest of your life.

I agree if doctors are refusing to do fills for patients they didn't do surgery on, they should say that's the reason. I think most people would understand that they only have so many hours in the week and their patient load is increasing. Mine used to do that, but he has so many patients he's obligated to because he did our surgery, he simply can't any longer. Patients were getting testy because they couldn't get fills in a timely manner.

I'd love to see more fill clinics, but that makes me wonder, if the fill clinic isn't with my surgeon and something gets messed up...does the blame game begin?

Another reason that the sleeve would have just been simpler. But alas, my insurance doesn't cover it yet.

I'm glad though that you point out a very serious concern for folks going to Mexico. Right or wrong, greed or not; unless they can get back to Mexico for fills, it will be expensive if even available in an area close to home. Whatever was saved on the initial surgery could well be spent on travel and fills afterward. It's something I certainly would not have thought about had I needed to consider going to Mexico.

Nahhh... not a deep area of concern, but certainly a pet peeve of mine. But then I have a thing about honesty too and especially honesty in the medical profession. Nobody has a right to be anything but honest if they are in medicine.

However, I did not point out that it's expensive to get fills if surgery was in Mexico... that is your claim. I said I have a problem with doctors that take advantage of patients. Most doctors do not do this. I can get a fill from my original surgeon for $75, I can go to a nurse practitioner for $100 here in Phoenix, I can go 15 miles to a bariatric surgeon for $250 (after paying a $1500 one time program fee to see the psych, nut, etc.), or I can go to Flagstaff and see a doc using fluoro for $200. I haven't looked beyond that because I have my "emergency" plan in place.

Quite frankly, those banded in the US need an emergency plan as well. If your doc dies or retires you will have the same issues I have. Finding another bariatric surgeon to do your fills won't be any easier than a Mexican banded patient finding a fill place.

I'm very pro-Mexico for those that can't or won't stay in the US for surgery. If done right, it can be very nice, safe, and affordable.

Comparing greedy plastic surgeons to greedy bariatric surgeons is like comparing apples to oranges. One surgeons saves lives and one makes them pretty until they die. ;o)

Sorry you had such a complicated hernia repair, they are usually one stitch. Two at best. They are extremely common in obese folks, obesity is a huge cause for hiatal hernias.

I have to say that when I started on this journey, I expected it to be much more straightforward -- more like getting your gallbladder out. I would go to my PCP, get a referral to a local surgeon and have it done. End of story. Boy was I naive!!

It really bugs me that bariatric surgery is such a big racket for some people. There are all these web sites out there that remind me of people trying to sell timeshares or discount cruises with lots of screaming big letters, flashing prices, specials of the month, amazing -- but not in the least realistic -- success stories, but no mention of the important things -- like what a surgeon's infection rate is or how many lap band procedures they've done.

I really hate feeling like people are trying to take advantage of me and I especially hate it that there is a whole industry trying to take advantage of fat people's desperation. I've already been through that with the diet industry. WLS was supposed to save me from all that not introduce me to an entirely new cast of unethical characters. :)

Thank goodness for LBT though. I'd be lost without you guys! :eek:

Everyone's journeys and opinions are different. It really doesn't have to be so very hard.

In my case, I pulled my docs stats, went to his seminar, submitted paperwork, was approved and had surgery in less than two weeks time. I had surgery just three days after finding out that I was approved!

I picked a doctor with fantastic ratings among patients and peers alike. No I didn't dig any deeper than that...I went with my gut feeling when I met the doc, shook his hand, and listened to him answer my questions.

I think the process can be as easy or as difficult as you make it. The politics of the business ARE what they ARE...you're opinions are not likely to make a marked difference in this stage of the game, so why sweat it? If the current situation works for you and you can be banded, here or mexico...then do it if you are comfortable with the decision.

It doesn't matter what any other bandster thinks, and it doesn't matter what other docs are doing or saying or getting paid or not. Just deal with your situation as it is presented to you. Don't worry that there is a conspiracy theory at work behind every bariatric doctors' door. All the ones that I have met have been wonderful. And they can help you get to the "losing side", which is what matters most.

I have to agree Stefanie, as long as your doctor is reputable and you get through your surgery without a problem, then the rest is pretty much up to you. I'm getting very close to a good restriction but I only have myself to blame for making the wrong food choices at times which is why I have only lost 31 lbs when I should be down by at least 40 by now. My surgeon is great but compared to others, he is pretty expensive. That doesn't worry me because I know he is good and his follow up care is fantastic (all part of the original price incl fills). I have a J&J band which is working fine so far. These bands have been used in Australia for many years with much success. My gastric banding journey has been slower than I expected but I know that I will be at my goal weight before my band anniversary in November and I'll be very happy with that.

Wasa,

"Quite frankly, those banded in the US need an emergency plan as well. If your doc dies or retires you will have the same issues I have. Finding another bariatric surgeon to do your fills won't be any easier than a Mexican banded patient finding a fill place."

Absolutely !!! But you are right that many surgeons don't want to take patients who've gone to Mexico. And that can be very limiting.

"Comparing greedy plastic surgeons to greedy bariatric surgeons is like comparing apples to oranges. One surgeons saves lives and one makes them pretty until they die. ;o)"

Ummm maybe, maybe not. I think that some (SOME = small percent) bariatric surgery could be considered cosmetic. One of my grandmothers lived a very full and active life into her 90's. 5 foot nothing and rarely under 200 lbs. She didn't die of obesity related causes. The other was also obese and she died at 60, high blood pressure and diabetes.

And not all plastic surgery is cosmetic. Reconstruction can be to eliminate health issues. Ask the large breasted women who have severe back pain or the people who have skin severe skin irritation if it's medically necessary or just to make them pretty. Burn victims? Cancer survivers? But the cost (here) is high regardless of the reason.

But we agree, that's not really the point. B

Tried to edit the above post to remove the "B" (at the end) which was the beginning of the word "But" and another sentence that I decided to leave out... BUT I can't seem to edit the post. LOL

Absolutely !!! But you are right that many surgeons don't want to take patients who've gone to Mexico. And that can be very limiting.

Once again, that is not what I wrote, you write that and continue giving me credit for your words.

Many surgeons don't want to take anyone they did not band, regardless of country. It's getting much better, but there is a way to go yet.

Much seems to depend on state. TX seems to be the worst from what I have read here.

Wasa,

Perhaps I read too much into your statements about the drama between US vs. Mexico with regard to this surgery. I thought that's what you meant in some of your posts including your statement below:

"I don't expect US surgeons to fill Mexican banded patients. They are in this to make money and that is completely and totally fair."

Had I been considering being banded in Mexico, I would have taken that to mean that there are doctors here who won't take patients banded in Mexico therefore limiting (even more) my access to follow up care. But I do understand that no matter where we are banded, many doctors are not willing to take more fill patients regardless of where they were originally banded because they simply don't have the time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Wasa,

Perhaps I read too much into your statements about the drama between US vs. Mexico with regard to this surgery. I thought that's what you meant in some of your posts including your statement below:

"I don't expect US surgeons to fill Mexican banded patients. They are in this to make money and that is completely and totally fair."

Had I been considering being banded in Mexico, I would have taken that to mean that there are doctors here who won't take patients banded in Mexico therefore limiting (even more) my access to follow up care. But I do understand that no matter where we are banded, many doctors are not willing to take more fill patients regardless of where they were originally banded because they simply don't have the time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ellisa...

The frustration I have with your posts is that you are changing my words around, claiming they are mine, and then agreeing with them. You are taking bits and pieces of comments and then honing in on them vs. the entire message.

HERE is what I have written many times, but amazingly you declined to highlight it in red and point it out like other bits and pieces of posts:

Quite frankly, those banded in the US need an emergency plan as well. If your doc dies or retires you will have the same issues I have. Finding another bariatric surgeon to do your fills won't be any easier than a Mexican banded patient finding a fill place.

Or this:

Many surgeons don't want to take anyone they did not band, regardless of country. It's getting much better, but there is a way to go yet.

Cheers.

Wasa,

I totally agree with you about the need for ALL people to have a plan. And didn't intend to make it sound as if it's only a Mexican/US thing. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

But my point was simply, everyone's choices are limited if we have to have fills by someone other than our original surgeon. And IF there is some prejudice about Mexican surgeries that MIGHT add and additional limit for SOME. I wouldn't know if there is or not, but I thought that's what you meant. Obviously you don't think there is any such prejudice.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth or give the impression I'm against surgery in Mexico. I am not.

Thank You, Thank You and Thank You again..the info you give is want my surgeon said my mind is made up I'm going for the lap band.

Hello All

:regular_smile:I hope this help I saw both bands and they both were round on the outside,BUT when saline was injected in the lapband the plastic part filled out and was round and the realize band had a traingle look to it as if it wasn't:rolleyes2: completely filled......:thumbup:GO WITH YOUR HEART I THINK HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU LOSE IS UP TO YOU.

never mind..nothing to see here...please keep moving....

Wow...I am kind of speechless here. I, too, have been lurking and watching this post. I was banded with the Realize band on 1/4/08 after numerous discussions with my surgeon (a center of excellence doc).

Insert tongue firmly in cheek, and read on ...

I am just shy of two months post-surgery and have only lost a measly :tt2: 39 of the total 107 lbs I want to lose. It has just been awful to never be hungry or have that uncomfortable over-indulged feeling. I am doing so "poorly", that we (my surgeon and I) decided to hold off on my first fill.

Tongue out of cheek ... in all seriousness, I am clicking along with an empty Realize band feeling fantastic about the possibilities my surgery enabled.

Now ... am I contributing this to my choice of the Realize band? Nope. I contribute my success to approaching this surgery for exactly what it is. The band is a tool...nothing more. You all know that or you wouldn't be here! I feel truly blessed to be one of the lucky ones who has been able to switch the way I think and truly change my lifestyle to accommodate weight loss. When I am ready for more 'restriction', I have the tool at the ready!

This choice we are making for ourselves is WAY too big to allow other's negativity to make it feel anything less than a huge step in the right direction! Follow your heart with a healthy dose of research and fact based decision making!

Good luck to all ... I am thrilled by my choice and can't wait for the future!! :lol:

weight.png

Go Pack Go!

...I think the old saying may apply, "Every time you point a finger, you have three pointing right back at you".