Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

Thanks Elisabeth for your post. Very elegantly stated as was Deneicy's.

I didn't come here to slam anyone, and don't believe I did. I came to this post because even though I'm post op w/the Small AP Band - I have a brother that was recommended the Realize band in another state. He's asked me questions, and quite frankly - I had none. I saw this thread as something to gain information from , it was a rambling infomercial w/a really low budget in my view.

I'm not here to "egg" the drama, nor should I use an Ignore feature...All this Poster / he or she / has done was send me out to be more diligent in my understanding of this band by reading as much as possible ** outside of wikipedia**.

Lulu

And Elisabeth... not giving out details of schools and other personal information is the right thing to do. Many tend to give out wayyyy too much information on line. I'd like to see more people giving out less information. I don't have photos posted for a reason, I don't wanna.

I respect people's right to privacy. However, this poster OFFERED information and presented him/herself as a medical student with a strong knowledge base in surgical sales tactics, etc. He/she also OFFERED an account of talking to several surgeons who felt the new band was substandard. When you put PRIVATE information out there and state "facts", it's natural for people to ask questions to confirm these "facts."

It's suspect when a poster only responds to threads on the new band for the purpose of telling people not to get it.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And Elisabeth... not giving out details of schools and other personal information is the right thing to do. Many tend to give out wayyyy too much information on line. I'd like to see more people giving out less information. I don't have photos posted for a reason, I don't wanna.

I respect people's right to privacy. However, this poster OFFERED information and presented him/herself as a medical student with a strong knowledge base in surgical sales tactics, etc. He/she also OFFERED an account of talking to several surgeons who felt the new band was substandard. When you put PRIVATE information out there and state "facts", it's natural for people to ask questions to confirm these "facts."

It's suspect when a poster only responds to threads on the new band for the purpose of telling people not to get it.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well, Elisabeth, in all fairness would it really do any good to call the school if you had the name and ask if Isuzu attends that college?

I would hope someone has a clue about the band being implanted in their body and has enough information to have a strong opinion.

I just did not see where Isuzu offered to give up personal information. I say I'm a nurse, do you know where I work? There are some things that I would hope people don't give out over the internet.

And to write more than once about an ignore feature... I don't personally agree with that. While I'm quite sure it was not intended as such, it might come off as looking like encouragement to have everyone put a single person on ignore if a few disagree with him. One of the issues I absolutely adore about Alex is that he encourages everyone to voice their opinions, he understands style is unique and he encourages that too. Or as he says, it makes people real. I think his attitude is what makes this forum as fantastic as it is.

However, the ignore comment I wrote of above is personal opinion, nothing more.

And to write more than once about an ignore feature... I don't personally agree with that. While I'm quite sure it was not intended as such, it might come off as looking like encouragement to have everyone put a single person on ignore if a few disagree with him.

One of the options people have on this forum is to report posts that they feel are inappropriate. Responses to those reports are commonly addressed in the thread. For that reason, it is sometimes necessary to remind members of their option to exercise the "ignore" button. Thank you for your comments.

I think I'm the one who brought up the question of what college he attended, it was in the context of using YouTube and Wikipedia to back up his statements, and then saying I doubted his college would allow that on his research papers. When I asked which one, it was rhetorical. I didn't expect an answer, because of course no reputable college would allow that; except in a creative/rhetorical writing class. I wasn't actually trying to get the information about where he attends school. I agree that would be a stupid thing to do.

Also when I asked about his surgeon, it was again rhetorical. Isuzu called my surgeon a moron and me a "fool" when my signature clearly states who my surgeon is. (Go back to page 1) That was a little over the top on the rude chart.

By the way, I didn't choose Dr. Curry because of any bulletin boards. I had already chosen him before I ever knew the boards existed. I chose him because of a family member who had RNY about 5 years ago who thought the world revolved around him. LOL Then I checked to see if he was experienced with banding. I found out that not only was he experienced but he also was at the time (September) the only surgeon in the state certified by Allergan to teach other surgeons to do the banding. That was good enough for me. By the time I was actually ready to be banded he began offering the Realize Band in addition to the LapBand. He's a proctor for both. I opted for the Realize band.

Lulac - Post op with the LapBand AP Standard (There is no small) means your band if it was prepped the right way has 3-4cc of Fluid while in it when placed. That band custom fits itself to your stomach because of the design, unlike the Realize band which has to be left in empty to avoid dysphasia. You are 6-8 months ahead of schedule in terms of getting to the sweet spot vs having the Realize Band implanted. PERIOD. Anyone who thinks I am making this up please go read the directions for use of the Realize Band which has to be implanted EMPTY -which guess what folks? an empty soft band does absolutely nothing to provide restriction needed for weightloss for most patients because its loose and just sitting there.

I've only lost 30 lbs in a little over 2 months, with my "crappy" band. Just think with a LapBand I could've been at goal by now! Sure wish I had gotten the other one. LOL

Elissa.... I'm with you! Too bad I got this crappy Realize band. Had I gotten the other I would be down 100 pounds instead of 32. How stupid was I ?!?!?!

OH, and by the way. My EMPTY band provided me with enough support to not feel any hunger for over a month. My first fill was 3.8 cc's. Pretty good restriction already.

I couldn't be happier with my "realize" band!

Renee

It's luluc:wink2:, My paperwork, and my Dr has called the band placed inside me the APS *small* 10cc vs the APL *large* 14cc. The fill center I go to calls the band I have APS as well, but refers to the S as standard / again vs the large that's available. I'm not necessarily sure I was incorrect calling mine "small" - but whatever....

At the time of my surgery, 4+ months - 5cc's were put in (not 3 or 4), and after 5 fills so far I'm at 7.4 in 10. Not sure I have that much of a jump start as compared to Ellisa - as I lost 40lbs so far compared to her Ellisa who's 2 months behind me and has lost 30lb.

My 40 has come with A LOT of diet and a LOT of exercise - my restriction is ok, I know it's there....but my surgeon did tell me early on that I would likely need to go over 8cc's to get to my sweet spot. I average a fill every 3 wks, and fill no 6 is on Monday...Hope I get to where I see restriction that I hear from those with the Realize band....This is the reason my brother wants the Realize band, because those who have *in his research, not mine* .. restriction comes faster....I have no scientific data to publish this to be true or not., just seems to be the course. There are no 2 alike in how the band works, whichever band, in my opinion - what works for one will not work for another.

My 40 has come with A LOT of diet and a LOT of exercise - my restriction is ok, I know it's there....but my surgeon did tell me early on that I would likely need to go over 8cc's to get to my sweet spot. I average a fill every 3 wks, and fill no 6 is on Monday...Hope I get to where I see restriction that I hear from those with the Realize band....This is the reason my brother wants the Realize band, because those who have *in his research, not mine* .. restriction comes faster....I have no scientific data to publish this to be true or not., just seems to be the course. There are no 2 alike in how the band works, whichever band, in my opinion - what works for one will not work for another.

It does seem as though the bigger the band (how many cc's it holds) the more fills it takes to get to a sweet spot. That holds true for the Inamed VG band and J&J bands. But you know what? Who cares? We did not get fat overnight and even with your sweet spot it does not come off overnight. We ALL went into this knowing the sweet spot will come when it comes.

I have an Inamed 9.75cm band and it holds 4cc. I like my band, I prefer it. If I could get it changed to ANY other band out there I wouldn't. This is what *I* like. I had surgery in Mexico and I believe there are 9-10 bands available. I would still choose the one I have if I were to be rebanded. But someone with a J&J band will only want THEIR band and no other. If it works for you, it's the right band for you.

There are people that put their surgeon on a God-like status after surgery, it's normal. It's the honeymoon phase of WLS. But I have to admit, I didn't see this coming with band brands.

Do your research, don't believe everything you read. Ignore Wiki as it is incorrect. Read everyone's opinions, read all the research. Pick a band and get your surgery. Get your life back and don't sweat the small stuff.

You know Wasa, I would have preferred a smaller band - but it is what it is. I don't necessarily have an issue with losing at what I call a snails pace while integrating better eating habits and more importantly excersising on a regular basis.

Correct - it took me 7 yrs to gain 75lbs & I've learned to be more patient w/my number on the scale as the inches are satisfying me at the moment... For an instant gratification type person - this is pretty big for me.

I don't get into my Dr is Better than your type of discussions - cause well, he's just a Dr, and I'm not on his payroll, same goes for Brand. As a self pay, as was my husband, my surgeon got a $30k check the day of our surgeries - I expect from him what was outlined to us in our $15k PP package, the rest is up to me and how I learn to live w/the band.

I wasn't offered the Realize - my brother was and I am MORE than pleased there is competition in this arena, I'm a fan of it.

That band custom fits itself to your stomach because of the design, unlike the Realize band which has to be left in empty to avoid dysphasia.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=5 rowSpan=2></TD><TD vAlign=top width=795 rowSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0></TD></TR></TD></TR><TBODY><TR><TD class=topPad vAlign=top>

Definition of Dysphasia

Dysphasia: One in a group of speech disorders in which there is impairment

of the power of expression by speech, writing, or signs, or impairment of the

power of comprehension of spoken or written language

Did you mean to type something else?? I'm sorry I'm not picking on you, just

wondering??

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You know Wasa, I would have preferred a smaller band - but it is what it is. I don't necessarily have an issue with losing at what I call a snails pace while integrating better eating habits and more importantly excersising on a regular basis.

Correct - it took me 7 yrs to gain 75lbs & I've learned to be more patient w/my number on the scale as the inches are satisfying me at the moment... For an instant gratification type person - this is pretty big for me.

I don't get into my Dr is Better than your type of discussions - cause well, he's just a Dr, and I'm not on his payroll, same goes for Brand. As a self pay, as was my husband, my surgeon got a $30k check the day of our surgeries - I expect from him what was outlined to us in our $15k PP package, the rest is up to me and how I learn to live w/the band.

I wasn't offered the Realize - my brother was and I am MORE than pleased there is competition in this arena, I'm a fan of it.

Oh, I should have clarified. I wasn't referring to you specifically as much as this thread. The "my band is better than your band" thing just surprises me but you haven't done that. Again, I was really referring to the thread.

I think one issue people should know about is price. MANY US and Mexican docs (not all, many) are getting a $600 break on the J&J band. Most Mexican docs are passing that savings on to the patients. I haven't seen too many US docs that are passing that savings on. If a doc offers both, is he offering one price for Inamed and a lower price for J&J? I haven't seen much of that but I don't pay a lot of attention to price.

*Must say* I was not a good "pre op" band person. I did research on one Dr - mine; based off of the results I saw from BF's mom. All he does is Bands / His stats were great / his post op care fantastic / facility & staff - outstanding. So DH and I just said one night - that's what we're doing. Had a BS experience w/our insurance and said the hell w/it we'll just pay out right.

I didn't find this site till after I was banded, it was listed on one of the thousand forms I had to fill out - and sorta wished I did. The information I found here, coupled w/my own research, I realized there were more than one option for me. I might very well have gone w/a Sleeve (more permanent solution) - because I don't have too much faith this band will outlast me...cause I plan on living a LONG time..HA. DH on the otherhand, to this day would only have chosen the band - ....

I was in "instant gratification" mode - and paying another $600 wouldn't have bothered me in the least - I realize this may be an issue for some, certainly wasn't for me....Never considered Mexico, cause I didn't even know it was an option - might have done things differently (being in TX - close to MX) - but can't say I'm too dissappointed... At least not yet:tongue: