Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

Im not trying to make anyone feel bad- but someone needs show them the real deal because some doctors won't -

My thoughts are there are probably arguments for and against both styles of bands. I am confident one can find reports on both posted all over the internet to support whichever "side" one chooses to take.

What is important is that each person does their research, both on the band and the physician that they choose. Speak to others who have been banded in your area, attend some of their support groups and get to know them. Find out if they are happy with their bands and their doctors. Research the doctors statistics as well. Then, once you have made an informed decision and chosen who will be your lapband doctor, you will be confident in the knowledge that you have chosen a capable, trustworthy surgeon who will choose the band that is best for your particular health needs and you can trust in their decisions.

As far as financial perks for using one or the other, that happens in every industry. It is called business and competition. No matter what business you are in, I am sure you have vendors who have approached you about using their products and providing you with special incentives to do so. If the product is one you feel is good, then you probably will accept their offer. That does not make you any less of a business person, doctor, etc. for doing so.

I urge you that if you have concerns regarding the type of band you have, contact your doctor. Don't allow a thread on a website or a single post to cause you to lose all trust in your doctor and your band. As I stated previously, I am sure there are studies and articles all over the internet supporting both bands and claiming one is better than the other. You have to trust in your doctor and have an open line of communication with him/her.

Lastly, it is ok to be passionate about something. But, do it in a calm and factual manner without personally attacking anyone.

I just spoke to my surgeon about the assertions made here about the Realize band. He is going to pass them on to the J&J ethics department to see what their reaction is and let me know.

He said there are no huge studies comparing one band to the other in a controlled, double-blind way. All the data he sees shows very little difference between the current design of both bands, and his current preference for Realize is based on their great on-line customer support. How each band feels in your hand before surgery does not indicate how they behave in place around your stomach. In any case, he is willing to give me whichever one I want.

Oh, and he said reports of more erosions with the Swedish band were likely due to early surgical techniques in which the bands were sutured in place very tightly, with many stitches. Now there are just a few stitches to loosely hold it in place.

I'll pass on whatever else I learn.

I'm very happy Michelle that you talked to your surgeon about this. I have sat back and watched this thread for awhile now. I have a Realize band. I am very happy with my band. My doc is one of the docs that Isuza/Redstar has previously slammed. I am very trustful of my doctor and his decision to place the Realize in me. I haven't doubted its adequacy for the first time. It was not my choice which band I was fitted with, though given the choice before or after surgery I would have picked the Realize hands down.

Isuza/Redstar, this post is NOT FOR YOU. I do not care to entertain your comments about how much of a moron that I am for preferring the realize band. I am a highly educated, independent minded woman. I did/do my OWN research. I do not pick and choose random numbers out of context to support my cause.

As previously stated this forum is for SUPPORT. We are not here to educate others on medical studies, statistics or techniques. We are here to share our own personal experiences so that others might take comfort in knowing that what is happening to them is normal. We are here to make others feel good in knowing that there are a lot of others going through the same thing as they are.

ok why would you pick the realize band?

Why does it matter that much to you?? As a pre-op, as you suggest you are, .. your only involvment in threads are around the Realize Band and it's flaws. As a pre-op, I think you would participate in the hundreds of threads that have outstanding knowledge regarding all the stages you are about to encounter. Forgive me, but you still sound like someone w/an agenda only participating in one forum - that to bash the Realize Band.

MichelleinCA:

The reports J&J are discussing on their site compare Allergans trials with that had the old technique (Perigastric) and their trials are the new technique (Pars Flaccida). I feel that should be disclosed because it makes a huge difference in the slippage and prolapse. That's my point, J&J is not stating that, there just showing the results without stating the study parameters. Also, the one picture of the band is sitting curved when it's not curved, it's straight - that'

s deceptive - why not show their product for what it really is - trust me, these are not mistakes.

my agenda is to do one thing only - expose the truth so you can make a decision on the facts- not half the facts - now that you have the facts and you still want the realize band- great, good for you - but at least you have all the information to make an informed decison. If you went to buy a car and it looked like it was in perfect condition but it was involved in 3 accidents, wouldn't you want that information before you purchase it.

You know what, Im outta here - Everyone go get the Realize Band, knock yourselves out. If my help is not appreciated, lots - o - luck people. I put in 30-40 hours of research, spoken with 4 doctors and went to 3 seminars and have taken my own personal time on my vacation to help others by giving them information J&J is not. If you think you know better than go for it.

goodbye

Well, I didn't do any research, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :smile2::tt2::blush::tt2::sad:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Isuza,

I think we all have gotten your message. Obviously the only thing you have accomplished here is to make some people, like ME for example, all the more satisfied with the choice we've made. I honestly didn't know I felt so strongly about it until you helped me to examine it more thoroughly.

I doubt anyone is going to take advice from any anonymous poster who we know nothing about over the advice of the surgeons we have trusted with our health and lives.

I hope next time you have a week off you have something more interesting to do. I can't imagine a busy pre med student with so much time for strangers. Perhaps you'll get some friends to take your mind off all this in time. Hang in there, deary.

You are obviously compassionate and caring, it's just that while I enjoy my cyber friends, I don't take medical, financial, or other important kinds of advice from them. It might give me pause to investigate, but I don't fall for the "hey we're gonna give you a million dollars if you'll just give us your bank account numbers" any more than I would make a health choice based on the advice of someone I know nothing about.

I think the rest of the folks here are that smart too.

I didn't say surgeons who use both bands are whores- Surgeons who proctor and take $5000 from each company per event are which was what I was saying. I'll refrain from voicing that opinion but it is what it is.

Wow this is interesting... "each" company is paying our surgeons $5000 per "event?" That ought to help bring the price down. And since according you your research they are both paying this, the playing field is level. No need for the docs to recommend one over the other, just for extra cash, cause they are getting it anyway. I wonder how the companies are making any money. They must be reimbursing more than they are charging. Awesome. I hope more medical equipment suppliers start that.

It looks like we're all in agreement; do your research, talk with surgeons, go to the informational seminars, talk with people who have had the procedure, and THEN make the best choice for YOU. It's YOUR body and it's YOUR decision.

For anyone still interested... my surgeon sent me this reference to a "meta" study of over 4500 band studies, conducted by independent researchers. They used studies from all over the world to compare the Realize band to the Lap Band. The studies covered 4273 patients in SAGB (Realize) band studies and 24,707 patients in LB (Lapband) studies. Here is the main conclusion:

CONCLUSION: In a systematic review of the published world SAGB and LB data, at 1, 2, and 3 years, the weight loss, resolution of diabetes and hypertension, and complications appeared comparable.

This sure agrees with what my surgeons have been telling me... it's just a matter of choice.

Michelle-Thank you so much for your post of the "meta" study comparing the two bands. Perhaps your post will lessen the concerns of some of the readers on this site. My husband, who has access to on-line medical journal archives (because he is a physician) reached the same conclusion--the two bands are very comparable. And my surgeon concurs with your surgeon in regards to the two bands. Prior to surgery, when I asked him which band he would be using he said he prefers to wait until he is inside so that he has an opportunity to look at my anatomy (I suppose that means the size, shape, etc.). He ended up giving me the Realize band. I'm 6 weeks post-op now, have had one fill and everything is going great at this point. I notice that your surgery is March 5th--not long to wait. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your lap-band journey.

Thanks Lee and Michelle for giving us the "real skinny." And Michelle, I'll be looking forward to seeing you as a bandit, whoa within 2 weeks!

I've been on other boards and every so often a knight in shining armor pops in to tell the group how the plan they are doing is going to kill them, they know so much more than the rest of the world, always have some inside track on the "conspiracy," without providing any proof of course, and yadda yadda. So to sort out the real posters from the ones who just want a reaction or have an agenda, like Lee, I look for other posts by that person. When we don't see them posting about absolutely anything but their agenda item we know what's going on. They eventually move on and don't fool anyone. But hey, they are always amusing while they last. Okay, I'm old, it doesn't take much to amuse me.