Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

Just be careful and don't overdo it. If you start to feel overrestricted, stick to liquids and Soup or something until you can get to the doctor.

I go in tomorrow for my third fill and am debating on whether I need it or not. I may find myself in a similar situation.

Yep. That's my plan now. I will get in to the Dr for a little unfill on Monday I think. I'm calling today. I read a post last night from a gal that had to have a complete unfill and start all over because of irritation. I do not want that!

Good luck on your fill!

I don't think I could eat 2 cups of cottage cheese. I used to hate it too, but I learned to eat it mixed with yogurt. It's pretty good that way. I am sure I would be full on less than a cup.

I really don't understand this whole pouch thing. Why does food get stuck if it's staying in the pouch? It has to be going through the band right off the bat or it wouldn't get stuck if you don't chew well enough.

I was told that the thing that makes you feel full is that the band presses on the nerve that tells your brain it's full.

The way I understood it is... The sensors that tell our brain we are full are near the top of the stomach. Thicker food, like chicken, takes longer to go through the band so the pouch fills because we eat quicker than it can get through and the sensors tell our brain the stomach is full even though it's just the top half that's full. Then again, there is so little known about the stomach and obesity that who knows. LOL!

Hi Everyone....I need some support today. I am stuck....not losing a thing! I started at curves two weeks ago so I am trying to rationalize to myself that it is because I am 'toning' now and muscle weighs more than fat.....but come on! How do I get the scale moving again? I haven't lost anything in over a month....I am really getting discouraged. I have good restriction too, depends on the day but for the most part, I think I am just right. I am just really getting down on myself :)

You are probably right about toning and gaining muscle. You may have also hit a bit of a plateau. If you're like me, you'll turn around and drop a big chunk all at once. Just keep doing what you're doing. You're definitely on the right track. Hang in there! :thumbup:

Have a great day everyone!

Denise: think of the pouch like a funnel. If you take Water and pour it into a funnel the water flows easily into the stomach. Then take some small chunks of food and watch. The food will get stuck in the neck of the funnel.

Thus like your pouch, it holding the well chewed food until it slips thru to the stomach but if there are any chunks, the food will not go thru as the food will stick in the small opening between the pouch and the stomach.

So that is why we are told to chew, chew, chew until the food is mushie.

Hope this helps Doddie

Hi AthinnerDenise,

I don't think that it's the band that makes you feel full, think about that then we would all always feel full! The band makes the food sit very high in the stomach which triggers our brain that we are full. The food does go through but it goes through very slowly. picture a funnel and pour something in it. It goes through but slowly. So things can get stuck if its too big or you eat too much too fast. But I am very sure it you look online of ask your Dr you will see it's not the band that makes our stomach feel full;)

Hey badbutt, sorry I dont know your name :rolleyes2:

I know just how you feel! But first let me say congrats on your weight loss so far wtg! When did you get banded? WTG for joining curves! I joined an indoor pool because I have bad knees and most exercises are hard for me. Now are you drinking enough Water? i know when I went for a long period like that with no weight loss I did a few things to get it moving. First I started writting down EVERYTHING that went in my mouth. I found that I was not drinking near enough Water. Once I started writting things down I found that I was eating way to many "bites" of carbs. I went back to eating mostly protien and drinking more water and finally the scale started moving again.

Just hang in there it will move I promise! Try those things and see if they help! When you write things down you will tend NOT to put things in your mouth that shouldn't be there :tt2:

Thanks Ann....I am bad about writing things down. I 'tally' them up on paper but I am not as tedious as I should be. I am really going to buckle down and focus to get that scale moving....I have to, I am really bummed out about it! I had my surgery August 20th 2007, so my weight loss is ok, I am down about 60 pounds but 20 of those were from before surgery so I am down 40 since surgery. I was hoping it would be a bit faster or at least more consistent. I really really want to be a solid size 16 by the time the weather breaks in the spring and right now I am in an 18.....just can't seem to get past that darn size. I can' t remember the last time I was smaller than an 18.

Desiree, Give us more info. How large is your band. How much fill do you have? Do foods get stuck? Do you log your calories and track your Protein intake?

According to your signature info you've only had two fills? how much each time? I've had six fills and have been banded only three months.

Maybe with more info we can offer suggestions.

Yes, I totally understand about the funnel theory. I have explained it that way myself to many people.

What I don't get is why people can get stuck on the first bite. It must mean that food is going through the band right away.

I wonder what time of day these folks are getting stuck on one bite of food. I had always read that some folks are tighter in the morning, but I didn't understand because it didn't apply to me. UNTIL... one early morning, I was lying in bed very hungry, too lazy to get out of bed, so I chewed on 4-6 whole grain tortilla chips. It made no sense to me that they weren't going through, the pain started, and I had to slime it up. So, I was definitely tighter that morning. Doesn't mean I understand it. LOL

Badbutt -- Please make sure you give yourself credit for those 20 lbs. lost pre-surgery. When people ask me for my progress, I find that I give long explanations. I'm coming to the point where I say to myself, Dammit, I've gotten all of this weight off of my heart, and it does count! My highest weight was 311, surgery consult was 299, surgery day was 290. My doc always tells me that those 9 lbs. lost just before surgery count in the total surgery weight loss. I probably wouldn't have lost them otherwise.

Last week I bought two 10-lb dumbbells. I couldn't believe how heavy they felt carrying them to the car. It felt so good to realize that I've lost 4-5 of them. Yeeeeeee-haaaaaaa!

Hi everyone!

I have been keeping up with my walking 5 times a week. I did meet my goal for the first time in 3 months of trying. I go to the surgeon for a check up on Wednesday. I hope the scale is gentle with me!! I feel like I am losing but I know that is inches from walking. I am so afraid of that scale. I haven't weighed in at all in a week or so.

Kathy - Hope your unfill goes well. I am still working on getting all my Protein and calories in for each day. Water is a chore now that I can't chug. Oh well...

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know how everyone is doing. I haven't posted in a while. I go in for my fill (finally) on Friday. I'm so excited and I hope this gives me some better restriction. My weight is so stubborn right now :drool:

I've been trying to stay away from my nightime eating binges because my cravings at night are terrible. I don't have them during the day. So I've been eating Cereal with 1% milk at night instead of junk. What do you all think about that? I guess it's better than shoving a candybar or Cookies down my throat! :laugh:

Have you tried natural low fat yogurt? for me it works great and has Protein, little calories (I can add 1-2 teaspoons honey and 3 nuts) and 1/2 cup fills you up.

Good luck with your fill NJ Gal! Hopefully it will get you where you need to be.

I just finished my 6 mile trek on the mountain. Its a tough one! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know how everyone is doing. I haven't posted in a while. I go in for my fill (finally) on Friday. I'm so excited and I hope this gives me some better restriction. My weight is so stubborn right now :biggrin:

I've been trying to stay away from my nightime eating binges because my cravings at night are terrible. I don't have them during the day. So I've been eating cereal with 1% milk at night instead of junk. What do you all think about that? I guess it's better than shoving a candybar or Cookies down my throat! :drool:

Hi NJ gal,

I think choosing cereal with 1% milk is a very good alternative, as long as you watch the quantity and type of cereal. Dimarec has the right idea with choosing yogurt. I sometimes find that it doesn't satisfy me though, so I add some granola to it. Another option is some crackers with fat free cheese.< /p>

The cravings are tough! I'm taking it one day at a time, one choice at a time... not always good, but I'm trying.

Anne

:laugh:

Night time is my hardest time too. That and weekends. Sometimes I think I need to be locked in the house on the weekends so I'm not around any

temptations. Even with the band, I have no willpower when it comes to sweets.

Now I want to know why everyone around me eats candy Cookies and cake, and they aren't fat :thumbup:

Hey, I have a harder time at night with wanting to eat too. I do much better in the mornings. But, since my last fill last week I've noticed a BIG difference. I have 7cc's now in a 10cc and I think I may be at my sweet spot. I had two slimfast shakes and a bbq sandwich yesterday. That was all. Today I bought some slimfast protien bars that are 110 calories, 5g Protein, just had one of those and was feeling full before I finished it.