Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

When I get something stuck my nose starts running and my mouth starts salavating like crazy. My nose starts first though.

I lost faster on my 3 months of my Protein Shakes then I have been with the band, but of course you can't stay on that forever. It is coming off just slower then I had hoped.

good heaves, 76 lbs since November. give youself a bit of slack. That is a huge loss. I have been with the band 1 year and I have only lost 59 lbs. You ain't a slow loser in my books. Congratulations.

I'm REALLY curious now, as to how being full has ANYTHING to do with the sinuses??? If I eat too big of a bite or get something hung in my throat, it will do that too. My husband laughed at me when I told him it made my nose twitch.

I read about the "soft stop" shortly after being banded and started watching for it. Sure enough I had all the classic signs. It's so weird, huh? Here are some other posts about it:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/soft-stop-anyone-40434/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/why-does-my-nose-run-when-i-am-full-25043/

Hi Band Chick, I was surprised (and relieved) when I saw where you mentioned that your doctor recommends about 1 cup of food. It seems like everything I've heard is that we're supposed to shoot for 1/2 cup of food and be satisified for 3-4 hours. I'm closer to the 1 cup mark.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Yep, my Dr said about 1 cup, give or take. That's about what I hit and my pouch has never been stretched when I went in for my fills. I always watch on the screen to see my pouch. I got pictures of the nurse, tech and machine at my last fill: February Fill

Ever since I saw this 5 day pouch test I've wanted to try it and see how big my pouch is. Anyone else want to try it too?

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Band-Chick thank you so much for the posting, I will definitly try it? I will be starting it on Monday and what about you. This is what I have been looking for Thanksssssssssssssssssssssss.

This is what I have from my clinic.

1. Exerecise, 2. Proper nutrition, 3. food EVERY 4 WAKING HOURS

Protein is the main nutrient. 6-8 oz of solid food every meal on and bread and butter plate only. 3-4 oz Snacks. The amount is a cup. 3 oz of protein the rest in veggies and fruit. Hope this helps.

As for the sneeze, it is true but why I don't know. However my signal is a hiccup and if I keep eating, I get a throbbing pain. Doddie

VERY INTERESTING - Vagus Nerve Stimulation, I've found several articles now about it. Thanks for the info, Band Chik. There is a definite link between tickling / runny nose and the nerve that sends the signal to the brain that you are full.

Hi Doodie,

I guess it sounds like I am crazy saying I am a slow loser BUT you have to understand yes I have lost 76 pounds which is wonderful. But the bulk of it was before banding and right after the surgery. I lost 5 pounds in 5 weeks now so yes I do think I am a slow loser now. I knew it would be slow but I think a pound a week is VERY slow considering how heavy I am. I know as you get closer to your goal weight it slows way down, but at 282 pounds and only 5' 2" thats a long way off so I really thought it would be more like 3 pounds a week at this weight. Don't get me wrong I will take ANYTHING in the downward motion. I also get upset becasue I even gain a few pounds here and there which is NUTS with what I am able to eat!

Band Chick where is you Dr? I would SO love to find a new Dr office to go to. I am SOOO unhappy with my office and they don't have the Fluoroscope and still charged me 250.00 out of pocket for a fill PLUS my 40.00 co-pay! It took them 3 VERY painful tries to find my port and I have not been back since then which was Dec 19th! After my fill they didn't even have me drink anything, and they are "supposed" to be the best here on Long Island. As far as I am concerned they are an office where they treat you like cattle. Anyway sounds like you have a great office to deal with! I would love to see my band and pouch!!

Hi Ann: 1 lb a week is excellent and yes the heavier you are the faster the weight should come off. However, at a higher weight most of us have joint problems and other physical difficulties so must start exercising with as little joint impact as possible. As you loose weight, you should become more physically fit and increase your exercise.

I guess you could say 1 pound is a slow looser, but the general guidelines are 1 - 2 lbs per week. Also, remember 1 lb per week is better than a 1 lb gain. You are doing fabulously well. Give your self some slack and keep up the good work. Doddie

I was looking at the 5 day pouch test. I think I may try it. I'm afraid I'm stuck where I am, and I think I'm eating more, not because I'm hungry but because of habit and cravings. This might help me get a better prespective on this and maybe get back on track. speaking of tracks, I'm going to go walk at least a mile at the track too. I have to do something here!

Anne,

Very good question about the five day pouch test. I was wondering the same thing! I am sure it shows us how much we should be eating but it still doesn't show "if" our pouch is streched. I know I can eat much more then I could right after surgery. I could not even eat one whole egg. Now I am sure I could eat maybe two. I do only have one of course but I do eat the whole thing now.

I'm a slow loser too.. :lol:

I've had my 2nd fill and I'm still hungry... real hunger.. not head hunger.

I go for my 3rd fill in 2 weeks. I hope this is the sweet spot one...

I can see the inches falling off.. but not the pounds.. I'm down 22 pounds from my Dec. 27th surgery.

I'm afraid I'm stuck where I am, and I think I'm eating more, not because I'm hungry but because of habit and cravings. This might help me get a better prespective on this and maybe get back on track.

candy,

I know EXACTLY the feeling! I have been stuck at this weight for months now. And my habits are TERRIBLE! I looked at the 5 day pouch test and I think I'll try that too. Not because I want to see if my pouch is messed up but because I think I need to "start over" so to speak and get back on track. I have to give myself some slack, though. I haven't had a fill in about 6 months. I go back on March 7th so I'll probably start my pouch test then. I'm hoping that the lack of weight loss is due to my lack of fill and that my next fill will trigger some more weight loss. I will be sooooo upset if I don't lose at least 50 more pounds by my wedding.

Band Chick where is you Dr? ... here on Long Island.

Sorry, Ann. My Dr is in Olympia, Washington. Though he is definitely worth the 2.5 hour drive from Oregon, I think NY would be too far. lol!

I took a look at the 5 Day Pouch Test. I don't mean to be dense, but how does this 5 day program tell us how big our pouch is?

Hi Anne,

I was thinking the 5 day test included the pouch size test. She either took it out since I last read through it or I was confusing too much information together. I have the pouch size test in one of my books too. Basically, how this all works is the 5 day test allows your stoma to go back to it's natural size and then you do the test to see how much your stoma really holds.

The pouch size test: Put 2 cups of cottage cheese in a measuring cup. Eat the cottage cheese quickly, until you feel full, within five minutes. Your pouch will fill before there is time for any food to flow out of it. Look to see how much of the 2 cups you consumed; that's how much your pouch holds.

I'm a slow loser too.. :lol:

I've had my 2nd fill and I'm still hungry... real hunger.. not head hunger.

I go for my 3rd fill in 2 weeks. I hope this is the sweet spot one...

I can see the inches falling off.. but not the pounds.. I'm down 22 pounds from my Dec. 27th surgery.

Hi Jazzy,

Congratulations on your 22 lb loss! I absolutely understand about the real hunger. It's been a while since I had that but early on, about where you are, between fills I would get really hungry. My Dr told me to eat when I'm hungry and that we had to build up to a good restriction. Take it easy on yourself. You're still healing from surgery less than two months ago. You're doing great!:lol: