Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The easy way out...

perhaps this belongs on the "rants" section of the forum...but I don't go in there...so here goes...

I am SO sick of hearing that surgery is the easy way out! Aside from the fact that it's utter crap...so what if it is???????

I liken it to when I had my kids...I had epidurals...OH how I loved them, and enjoyed the birth experience...then the self righteous natural bithers (no, I don't think all natural birthers are self righteous...but some are)...would look down their nose at me and say "Well I did it all natural!" As if I had committed a terrible sin! I would look at them and say..."did you have a healthy baby?"...they said "yes"...I said "so did I!"

Why the hell care about HOW we got healthy...just so we got healthy!

Amen Musicalmomma!

I too don't think having surgery was the easy way out. Like many others, I had been yo-yo-ing with my weight for years. I was essentially killing any chance I had at getting to a normal weight..and believe me, I TRIED! I tried everything. Since I had surgery, the weight has not flown off. With the exception of the first 20 pounds, I have had to work really hard to get every pound off. And even with the surgery, I can still consume quite a lot of calories if I am not careful and cautious about what I eat.

A prime example, I went out to dinner with a friend tonight. I ordered a Margarita..yes, a splurge. I ordered a half salad and Soup. I then ate half of each item. For dessert, which I NEVER get, I decided to order one of those little shot glass Desserts, honestly thinking I was making a smart choice...minor indulgence. OMG, I got home and worked out the calories. My meal itself was around 300 calories...the drink and dessert was about 750!!!! I am shocked. See how easy it is to over do it. My error, and I won't make it again. Just a reminder how easy it would be to not lose weight. I think this surgery has just kept me from being able to pile it back on as easily as I had in the past.

i agree so many people think that this is the easy way out but then i think they have never walked in my shoes they dont know what its like to have tried the dieting and have it fail. most of those ones are skinny people who have never had a weight problem. and 2 the ones who are heavy well if they are so self rightgeous then why arent they doing something to lose the weight they have extra on themselves! at least you tried the dieting and it didnt work so what you got the band as a tool to help you lose and keep the weight off at least your doing something to better your health. And ill tell you what i had natural child birth i didnt have trouble but if it wasnt for the fact that a slip of that big needle in the back could possibly damage me i woulda loved to have had an epidural. just tell them people to go ***** themselves! sorry people like that irritate me:o

For me, it was. After struggling for years with obesity surgery WAS the easiest decision I ever made and the easiest way for me to lose weight and hopefully keep it off.

Musicalmomma...I could not agree with you more. I get sick and tired of hearing that too. I also hate how the news and magazines make it a point to stress it. For instance...the cover of PEOPLE magazine says: "Half Their Size...NO SURGERY!" Who gives a crap how they did it...good for them that they lost weight but I really don't care that they didn't have surgery. I did and I'm losing weight...that's what matters to me. The band is not the easy way out...you still have to eat healthy, count calories and exercise. What's so easy about that????

You know ppl who dont have issues with their weight def dont understand....I made the mistake of telling ppl at work and noone really said anything negative until the other day....and ever since then they have really been on my case....i am getting extremely annoyed and feel that i may blow up at them any second!!! eveyone is like youre crazy this is just the easy way out....blah blah blah...and it really pissed me off!!!

THEY DONT UNDERSTAND!!!! DO THEY THINK ITS GONNA BE EASY DEALING WITH THE ANXIETY OF GOING INTO SURGERY...IS IT GOING TO BE EASY EATING AT dinner AND HAVE EVERYONE ASK YOU WHY YOURE ONLY EATING ENOUGH TO FEED A MOUSE....and then when the weight starts to just flow off and ppl are asking what youre doing....I dont want everyone to know I have had the surgery you know..

.DONT THEY KNOW I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....I HAVE BEEN DIETING SINCE HIGHSCHOOL AND YOU KNOW WHAT I AM SICK OF IT I HATE COUNTING CALORIES AND I HATE NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT A PIECE OF CAKE WITHOUT IN THE BACK OF MY MIND THINK OH MY GOD THERE GOES MY CALORIE COUNT FOR THE DAY!!!! So you know what ppl who think this is the easy way out KISS IT!!!!

*Sorry I guess its obvious that ppl at work are getting on my nerves;)

I haven't had any of the "you took the easy way out" experiences, but that is probably because I didn't tell anyone. I only told my parents who were completely supportive (since then my mom got banded) and a few very close friends and they are very supportive and proud of me.

I am glad I didn't tell any other family or friends---its none of their business.

I don't really get the easy way out speech, because those who know... have seen my yo yo up and down the scale and know that losing weight for me isn't the issue.. it's the keeping it off........ also... those people love me and have seen me break down in tears because I COULDn't eat when I was stressed....... they feel sorry for me when the rest of the group is eating stuff I can't........ that said.......

I am NOT HUNGRY....... and that does make is EASIER for me to stay on plan. Sure I can lose with out it, but it was a daily fight with myself to do so..... now, my stomach doesn't constantly remind me about it..........

Those same people who say we took the easy way out... well, ask them if they can quit smoking, drinking, cussing, whatever their vice is... and ask them to quit justifying their own existance by downing yours......

I used to get the same thing when I would lose on Atkins.... people would stop me in the elevator, the bathroom, the hall and ask how I had lost the weight... when I would tell them.. they would gasp and say....... OH I COULD NEVER GIVE UP Pasta, Potatoes, Bread.... etc..... and then would tell me how unhealthy it was for me...... blah blah blah.... people are people.. do what is best for YOU and don't sweat the small stuff!

When something wonderful happens, you want to share it with others....that's natural.

But in medical situations....bowel movements, dental cleaning, fillings, ingrown toenail removed, lapband, ear wax cleaning, etc...

I just don't say anything.

perhaps this belongs on the "rants" section of the forum...but I don't go in there...so here goes...

I am SO sick of hearing that surgery is the easy way out! Aside from the fact that it's utter crap...so what if it is???????

I liken it to when I had my kids...I had epidurals...OH how I loved them, and enjoyed the birth experience...then the self righteous natural bithers (no, I don't think all natural birthers are self righteous...but some are)...would look down their nose at me and say "Well I did it all natural!" As if I had committed a terrible sin! I would look at them and say..."did you have a healthy baby?"...they said "yes"...I said "so did I!"

Why the hell care about HOW we got healthy...just so we got healthy!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Easy way out, my butt! Hell, I started my six-month medically supervised diet and I've been working harder than ever - documenting every bite of food I eat and spending 1.5 hours at the gym every other day. Hopefully, I can build good habits now that will carry over when I get banded. As for telling people - my parents know and are supportive, husband knows and tolerates it, co-workers know (small office - no keeping it from them) and are curious.