Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville, Florida

anavrin - I was banded may 27 by Dr. B. I go for my first fill July 3. Did he ask you if you wanted to be filled that much? To me it seems very agressive. I hope you feel some restriction soon. Stay strong.

Hello All,

Just wanted to give an update from last I posted. I went to Las Vegas for a 50th wedding anniversary and while I tried the best I could during meals, Desserts were hard to pass up (for example, I ate the insides of the lobster ravioli but ate the cheesecake). From Vegas, I had to go on business travel and meals were provided. There again, I had cheeseburgers with no bun but had the chocolate mousse.

Had my follow up with Dr. C yesterday and I gained 2 lbs from my last visit 6 weeks ago. My BMI went back to over 30, putting me back to the "obese" range :lol:. He was really great about it (I was harder on myself than he was). Of course, he reminded me that my next appointment would be a telltale sign of how serious I am about this. He and Jodi agreed that this is the stage that it is very normal to become complacent because you're feeling really good about yourself and everyone is telling you how good you look.

He asked me if I wanted a fill and I told him to give me a "double" :tt2: so he made me pretty tight this time so I'm hopeful I can make up for some lost ground.

Thanks for all the support from everyone! Sue

No, I didn't have any say so about the amount. He put some in, helped me sit up, and had me drink, then gulp Water and told me to tell him when I felt pressure in my chest or throat. The first time, I did, and it wouldn't go away, so he pulled some out, then I did the water again, that time, nothing, so he pushed some in, the 3rd time, I felt the pressure for a few secs, and he said that was good. I asked how much saline, and he said 5.5. So maybe the "too" much amount was 6 cc. I changed my appt from 7/14, to 6/30, they had a cancellation. I am watching what I eat in the meanwhile.

I agree with you in every way. I was banded 09-27-07. I have had I think 7 fills , maybe 8. It taught me the main issue about the band , "how to eat" . Without the slow process I would have gotten stuck. I also see Dr. Cywes and have been every month since my surgery. I have lost over 75 lbs. Without this slow process, and slow weight loss, I would not be where I am now. Also by the way, I started this Jacksonville Florida Thread. It is amazing it is still going strong. Like JaxBandster said hang in there. Also remember it is a TOOL. Not a cure all. We have to break the old habits. I have to work at it everyday. My mind has not caught up with my stomach. When I sit for a meal, and I am real hungry I still I still get mad, cause I am full so fast, and it smells so great. One thing I know, I am really looking good in those jeans, so it is all worth it.....

at this point, I'm not getting full fast, or at least i don't think I am. I feel like I'm able to eat too much, more than a cup, and I haven't noticed any tightness in the AM, anyways, I'm going in tomorrow morning, and Dr B may not want to put more saline in. I just don't feel it, and I want to know it's there and working.

Hello All,

Just wanted to give an update from last I posted. I went to Las Vegas for a 50th wedding anniversary and while I tried the best I could during meals, Desserts were hard to pass up (for example, I ate the insides of the lobster ravioli but ate the cheesecake). From Vegas, I had to go on business travel and meals were provided. There again, I had cheeseburgers with no bun but had the chocolate mousse.

Had my follow up with Dr. C yesterday and I gained 2 lbs from my last visit 6 weeks ago. My BMI went back to over 30, putting me back to the "obese" range :redface:. He was really great about it (I was harder on myself than he was). Of course, he reminded me that my next appointment would be a telltale sign of how serious I am about this. He and Jodi agreed that this is the stage that it is very normal to become complacent because you're feeling really good about yourself and everyone is telling you how good you look.

He asked me if I wanted a fill and I told him to give me a "double" :) so he made me pretty tight this time so I'm hopeful I can make up for some lost ground.

Thanks for all the support from everyone! Sue

Hi Sue!

I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulty this past month but it sounds like you are on the right track again. I'm also glad to hear that Dr. C was understanding.

He's right about complacency and I got that talk from him last month when I was in for my fill but I was way ahead of him. Complacency has been my demon in the past. Like many of you, I was a very successful dieter. I have lost weight over and over again. But when I got to a certain point when I started looking good and getting compliments, I would rest on my laurels and go back to my old eating habits. I knew I would reach that point again and I still have to constantly battle that demon today. The old, "oh one or two bites of this dessert won't hurt" and before I know it I've polished off half of it. I'm afraid complacency is something we will all have to deal with for the rest of our lives.

The feeling I get when I look in the mirror or put on a size smaller jeans is worth it though!

Keep up the great work!

I have to work at it everyday. My mind has not caught up with my stomach. When I sit for a meal, and I am real hungry I still I still get mad, cause I am full so fast, and it smells so great. One thing I know, I am really looking good in those jeans, so it is all worth it.....

Don't you hate that?????? Makes me crazy to have a ton of really good tasting and smelling food in front of me and have to leave most of it on my plate! LOL Like the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for!" LOL

But yeah, watching that scale go down and not be driven by hunger and by my love of food is a reward in itself.

Well, my 2 lb gain from my last appointment with Dr. Cywes was a wake up call for me (not to mention my fill gave me really good restriction).

I've made up for my gain and lost another 8 on top of that...can't wait to get back and show him how well I've done. I'm still working on getting in some activity like taking the stairs at work, walking to the grocery store.

My big NSV...got into a size 10 yesterday! Whoo Hoo! I don't think I've worn a 10 since...um...uh...since I was 10?

Thanks to all of you for your words of support; hope I can pass it along!

Sue :wink2::lol::blink:

Great Job Sue!!!!!

I went back yesterday for my monthly check up. No fill for me!!!!! I'm at my sweet spot. He even said if he did anything he would take some out. I said no way!!!!! There have been about four times this past month where I momentarily got stuck but I think it was more my fault than the band being too tight. (Not paying attention, eating too fast, and not chewing well enough). So I am going to work on that this month.

I lost 11 lbs since the last time I was in! Dr. C told me that if I lose 8-10 more that he will do my tummy tuck! Wooo Hooo! So I have instructions to join the gym and start toning up and to continue as I have been doing. Hopefully when I see him next month I can schedule another surgery date :(

I live in Jacksonville and had my first consultation appointment on July 2nd. Looking toward surgery in January 2009. I notice that a lot of people mention food getting "stuck" when they eat after being banded. What exactly does that mean? Does it feel like you're choking and does the food eventually go down, or does it come back up? Please forgive me, since I'm a "newbie". I am a bit nervous about the whole process, but I know this is the right road for me. :scared2: I have fought with carb addiction for years and need to learn how to make food less important so I can go out and enjoy life without feeling judged by everyone around me. :smile:

Jaxbandster, how much does Dr. Cywes charge for a Tummy Tuck. He talked to me about it, said he didn't know the cost, to ask the front desk. I forgot.

I have my first consult with the Jacksonville Weightloss Center on 7/31/08. I have check with my Ins. Co. Aetna & after getting precertified including a 6 month monitored weight loss program, my plan will cover 80%. Anybody have similar ins.??? If so can you tell me approx what you had to pay out of pocket & what that covered? Did you have to pay the out of pocket up front before even starting the 6 moth monitored weight loss program??

Thanks for any help!:biggrin2:

Hi davidsmom08! I went for my first appointment in Jacksonville on 7/2/08. I have BC/BS insurance through UPS. The first visit cost me $200 + my $10 co-pay. They gave me a list of tests that will have to be performed before the surgery, and there were $$ amounts associated with each one. Not sure how much my insurance will cover, or if tests are paid out-of-pocket. I believe the people in the office have already looked into what each of our insurance pays for and may be able to answer your questions. I wish you the best of luck!

I live in Jax but was banded in MX. I am going to the Moultrie fill center. My problem is, other than this website, I don't have a support group, nutritionalist, etc. I don't see anyone regularly but I have read where you all have scheduled appointments every few weeks. Is there a support group in Jax I can go to? free of charge would really help out.

Thanks

Hi All - Glad to see everyone is doing well so far. I used to live in Jacksonville and now in Missouri. I was banded almost a year ago on 9/19/07 and Iam down 60lbs of my high. Things are going well. Had a fill in June and will most likley get one in Sept. When I was in Jax I work on the Palm Valley abd Wonderwood connector bridges.

Chris