Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville, Florida

I have been mentally beating myself up for the last week or so and feeling really pretty sh*Tty about me. I had been doing so well (80 lbs in less than 7 mths) but at my last follow up, Dr. C insisted I have a slight unfill. I'm not sure how much of this has been physical and how much has been mental but I notice myself slipping right back into bad habits and now the scale is telling me. I've been staying up and down within a couple of pounds since then.

I am finding myself snacking quite a bit (I have become a 'nut-aholic') and will munch on either handfuls of nuts or a nice big spoonful of Peanut Butter. I can't wait until my next appointment on June 16 so I can get a fill again but I am concerned that I seem to have lost my momentum to lose.

As Karen said, as much as people tell me how good I look and that I don't need to lose any more weight, that can almost be a curse too because it makes me feel a bit lax about what my goal really is.

Any words of advice?

Sue

Hey Sue

I'm definitely feeling what you are saying. It's so easy to become complacent and to slip back into our old eating habits. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the trick is to getting that mindset back that we need to help us stay focused. For me it has been sheer determination. I don't want my weight to start with a 2 anymore. I don't want to see the fat staring back at me in the mirror. I want to be able to wear sexy clothes again and have men look at me and women hate me! LOL Maybe for me it is the fact that I'm not young anymore. In less than two years I'll be 50. I'm not going to have any more chances to be "young and healthy" again. This is it. Maybe my own mortality is my motivation. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis. LOL

All I know is that I have never been so determined to lose this weight and keep it off and I only wish I had done so 20 years ago.

Don't give up on yourself. You are too important. Don't give food control over you. You are stronger than that. I know that now that I have gotten proper restriction that it is much easier to control my portions where it wasn't before. I still have to watch WHAT I eat, but even then I will treat myself to a couple of bites of a goodie every now and then so I don't feel deprived.

I guess we all have to find that single motivation that helps get us through our weak times. You will find yours!

I have been mentally beating myself up for the last week or so and feeling really pretty sh*Tty about me. I had been doing so well (80 lbs in less than 7 mths) but at my last follow up, Dr. C insisted I have a slight unfill. I'm not sure how much of this has been physical and how much has been mental but I notice myself slipping right back into bad habits and now the scale is telling me. I've been staying up and down within a couple of pounds since then.

I am finding myself snacking quite a bit (I have become a 'nut-aholic') and will munch on either handfuls of nuts or a nice big spoonful of Peanut Butter. I can't wait until my next appointment on June 16 so I can get a fill again but I am concerned that I seem to have lost my momentum to lose.

As Karen said, as much as people tell me how good I look and that I don't need to lose any more weight, that can almost be a curse too because it makes me feel a bit lax about what my goal really is.

Any words of advice?

Sue

Sue, you sure just took the words right out of my mouth!!! You and I are going through the exact same thing right now! It's been almost 6 months since my surgery and I've had incredible results so far but have all the sudden completely LOST my focus and momentum! And I'm SCARED to death about it too!!! Ever since I had that 4th fill and then unfill episode (see my post from 5/22) I've been doing horrible! Now I've gotten another fill on 6/3 and although I didn't gain any weight from the previous appt. I hadn't lost any either!!! I told Jodi and Dr. C that I think that is part of the problem is that I'm cheating almost daily but not seeing the consequences on the scale, like I would in my past weight loss experiences, which allows me to justify it in my head the next time I go to eat something I shouldn't. And don't even get me started on the not exercising thing...it's so weird cos' when I started this journey and weighed 83 lbs. more than I do right now I had MORE energy and motivation to exercise daily ... without FAIL! Now I find myself making excuses for not getting up and just doing it, even my 15 minutes pep talk isn't helping me (I would tell myself that I only had to do the bike or treadmill for 15 minutes and then of course would end up doing 45 - 60 minutes but that would get me moving every time). After some much needed self exploration therapy I've come to the conclusion that the reason I've lost my focus and momentum is simple... Life isn't so hard anymore and I no longer have those daily/hourly/minute to minute reminders of WHY I'm doing all this. Before when I was at my heaviest the smallest thing like getting in and out of the car would cause me pain and was just so hard, but now 83 lbs. gone life is just plain easier (even though I still need to lose over 100 lbs., but I seem to conveniently forget this when I'm eating chips and salsa). Anyway, Dr. C & Jodi both told me that the only way to stay focused is to make it a bite by bite decision making process, if you take a bite of something you KNOW you shouldn't be eating then make the very next bite a better choice and do this ALWAYS and w/o fail! And as far as exercising Dr. C says you do NOT do this to lose weight but to replace the "good" feelings you get when you eat carbs with the "good" feelings you get from exercise. So here I am a week after my last fill and I'm struggling still...now it's because everything I try to eat seems to get stuck, so I try to take smaller bites and chew better but then I don't get enough food intake before the 15-20 minutes is up...I've been drinking alot of shakes this week cos' otherwise I feel shaky and headachy w/o the Protein. Sorry this is so long but I really feel desperate for some help and I know that no one can solve this for me but it just helps to put it out there and hope for some support. Thanks for reading. Hope to talk to someone soon! Be well. KKG

Karen & Kelly - thanks to both of you for your comments; it reminds me that we're human and we're not perfect. Kelly - when you said Dr. C told you to take it one bite at a time it reminded me of when I did Weight Watchers and I got to the point when I fell off the wagon and would start the program over at every meal.

I really worked today at not snacking and did much better. I don't know if this is why but I noticed at dinner tonight I felt full much quicker than I had been. I don't see Dr. C again until June 27 and between now and then I will be in Vegas for 5 days and then an out of town business trip so staying on the "straight and narrow" is scaring me. If I can strive to just not gain instead of worrying about losing may help me.

Thanks, girls for the support! Sue

That was really profound and enlightening. I will try to take Dr. C's advice--bite by bite. The exercise reasoning makes sense too. I was just on the thread for OA looking at the 12 step process. Your advice makes more sense to me than "cognitive behavior therapy". What's that? OA says to eliminate sugar, wheat & flour. Easier said than done. Maybe I will take one at a time and replace it with some exercise.

Karen & Kelly - thanks to both of you for your comments; it reminds me that we're human and we're not perfect. Kelly - when you said Dr. C told you to take it one bite at a time it reminded me of when I did Weight Watchers and I got to the point when I fell off the wagon and would start the program over at every meal.

I really worked today at not snacking and did much better. I don't know if this is why but I noticed at dinner tonight I felt full much quicker than I had been. I don't see Dr. C again until June 27 and between now and then I will be in Vegas for 5 days and then an out of town business trip so staying on the "straight and narrow" is scaring me. If I can strive to just not gain instead of worrying about losing may help me.

Sue,

I went to the mountans of NC and TN for six days on motorcycle. I wasn't perfect and didn't expect to be. I enjoyed myself, had a few bites of dessert, ate about half of a really high carb Breakfast at a bed and Breakfast in Waynesville, NC. I made good decisions when I could but didn't sweat the rest. I drank a lot of Water and didn't eat when I wasn't really hungry. I gained three lbs while I was gone but it only took me a couple of days to lose it when I got back. Since then I've been on another one of my losing sprees and only have two lbs before reaching onederland!

It's all a part of the journey. I know Vegas will have many temptations but enjoy yourself, don't go absolutely nuts but don't deprive yourself either. It's a vacation, have a good time! Moderation is the key. Between now and then stay on the straight and narrow so you are that much ahead before you go. Hopefully when you get back you will have sufficient time to lose anything you gained while you were there.

For what it's worth, when I had my appt with Dr. C after my trip to NC, my monthly weight loss was nine lbs. So it can be done.

Have fun!

I went to my group seminar on Monday and now I am scheduled to see Dr. Baptista on July 2. I was hoping to get in sooner to see him... but they only see new patients one day a week.

I have all my files, lab work, ekg, x-rays and letters done. (I was actually approved for the surgery with another doctor but at the last minute the hospital decided not to take Tricare.) I am under the impression that it will be rather simple for them to get the authorization.

So, my question for all of you is how long after you had everything turned in to the Jacksonville Weight Loss Group did it take for them to submit it to the insurance? And, after you had the approval, how long did it take to get the surgery done, or how far in advance did they book to date?

I am just hoping that if I go in for my visit on July 2 that I will be able to have my surgery the first week of August.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I went to my group seminar on Monday and now I am scheduled to see Dr. Baptista on July 2. I was hoping to get in sooner to see him... but they only see new patients one day a week.

I have all my files, lab work, ekg, x-rays and letters done. (I was actually approved for the surgery with another doctor but at the last minute the hospital decided not to take Tricare.) I am under the impression that it will be rather simple for them to get the authorization.

So, my question for all of you is how long after you had everything turned in to the Jacksonville Weight Loss Group did it take for them to submit it to the insurance? And, after you had the approval, how long did it take to get the surgery done, or how far in advance did they book to date?

I am just hoping that if I go in for my visit on July 2 that I will be able to have my surgery the first week of August.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

1000Words, Well I don't know about your insurance company, but mine required me to do a 6 month doctor supervised weightloss period, so even though I went in for my meeting in May of last year, I didn't get the surgery till 12/26....so it really all depends on what they find out from your ins. co. but I will say that Dr. Cywes' office is very proficient in finding out the info they need to get you started...after all they don't get paid till they DO the surgery so that will be their goal, as well as yours. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck. KKG

That's right Sue we ARE ONLY HUMAN and each of us has to face our own private demons everyday we wake up, but atleast it's better than the alternative right? Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and hoping that you are enjoying Vegas but are making good choices at the same time! After all, I KNOW there are alot more fun things to do in Vegas than JUST EATING! So focus on those instead of the all you can eat buffets and if you do choose to indulge than just accept it and move on to the next bite or meal and make it better than the last! Good luck and remember to enjoy life every day...Peace! KKG

I was approved for the surgery through my insurance through another doctor... so I know that will not be a problem.

I was just wondering how far out they are scheduling the surgery once you get everything done...a month? six weeks? two months?

Kris

I was approved on April 28, and was banded on May 20th by Dr Baptista. I am going for my first fill on June 23. I have a Realize band.

I was approved for the surgery through my insurance through another doctor... so I know that will not be a problem.

I was just wondering how far out they are scheduling the surgery once you get everything done...a month? six weeks? two months?

Kris

Oh okay, now I understand your situation...well for me I finished the 6 month waiting period in mid-November (which then triggers approval from insurance company) and had surgery Dec. 26th. Hope that helps. Sorry for misunderstanding the first time I responded. Take care. KKG

Thanks for your replies. I am hoping to be banded in August and it looks like that may be a possibility.

Does anyone know if they are still planning on moving offices?

1000words

I was self pay. My first orientation appt was January 9th and my surgery was February 7th. Based on that and the other responses I have seen, I would figure on about a month once you are good to go. They put you on a low carb diet right away in order to shrink your liver and like to have a few weeks for that to do it's job. Make sure you follow their instructions! It is extremely important to shrink your liver prior to the surgery.

Good luck!

Had my 1st fill on June 23, Dr B put 5.5 cc's in this 9 cc band, and I have absolutely NO restriction. I am so depressed. I still have no idea what PB'ing feels like or any of the other signs of fullness, i can eat pretty much as much or whatever I want, although I don't. I am just practicing self control. I have another appt on the 14th, but think I should call before then to try and move it up.

Had my 1st fill on June 23, Dr B put 5.5 cc's in this 9 cc band, and I have absolutely NO restriction. I am so depressed. I still have no idea what PB'ing feels like or any of the other signs of fullness, i can eat pretty much as much or whatever I want, although I don't. I am just practicing self control. I have another appt on the 14th, but think I should call before then to try and move it up.

Anavrin. Patience! I know it's hard but it's something you must learn. I didn't get really good restriction until my 3rd or 4th fill. Dr. B actually gave you a lot for a 1st fill. Learn your soft full signs. A runny nose, a hiccup, burp, slight pressure around the band area or in the shoulder, etc.

PBing is NOT a sign of fullness. It's a sign that you are either eating incorrectly, or eating something that didn't want to pass through the stoma. I have PB'd once and it was on some fried fish that I thought I had chewed well enough but obviously hadn't.

When I am full, I just feel like I can't eat anymore. If I have to sit and look at my plate and wonder if I should take another bite or not, then I know that I'm done.

I know it seems like a long time until your next appt but you need to give this fill a chance to work. No you haven't reached good restriction yet, but it will more than likely take you a few times to get there. Until then, you will still have to use self-control. The band is harder than bypass in this regard, but believe me, it is so worth it! I have perfect restriction now. In fact, when I go back on the 8th I may not get another fill as I don't want to be too tight. As it stands now I have to be careful about what I eat and how, but I can generally eat most everything, just a LOT less of it.

You will get to where you need to be. I promise. Keep doing what you need to do to be successful. The band will help you more and more as you go along.