Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unrealistic Ideals

I am pretty rational person, and I just spent "hours" going through the photo threads, so I believe in this process. That being said, there is something in my little mind that is having a hard time with the fact that I had the surgery on 12/20/07 and I am not "skinny" yet. I think it is perpetuated by the looks of coworkers that say to me, "she had surgery, but I can't really tell." I wish I could fall asleep and wake up a month down the road. I started this journey at 287 and weighed 261.5 this morning, and my rational mind says "wow", but the last 5 days I have gone up and down on the scale and am up a pound. I am doing everything right.

Now, if I can only get my rational mind to take over.

Thanks for listening.

Hang in there . . . just keep doing what has to be done .. . I went 3 weeks without the scale changing by 1 pound . . . but I didn't let it worry me . . . because I could see the changes in my face and neck . . .and feet . . . all over . . . don't worry about anyone else's opinion . . . stay on course and you can't help but have results. It's not a magic thing that is instant . . . it is going to take time . . . but you can be proud of yourself that you're taking care of YOU!

Chris

I was around your weight couple weeks ago also now i'm at 260 which is hovering back and forth at 256-260. I know at times when you diet the body stops loosing weight but it will soon kick back in. Also in about 2 week, I will be getting my first fill so i know i can loose more then.

I have 2 jobs and it keeps me really busy and the time to go excerise is limited and i know that I will have to increase the time soon also if I ever want to get to one of my mini goal.

I also keep in mind that the band has not been fill yet and isnt working at 100% so alot of the this weight lost at first was from me.

Just keep faith that you are changing and ignore everyone else.

hey, i'm not a december bandster, but i do want to encourage you to be patient. i'm an october bandster, and i have just now (literally) started losing weight. last week i weighed more than i did pre-band. i too have coworkers saying the same things. and the fact that my health has not improved does not help.

be patient, and be happy with your loss. i know it is hard, but we have to fight this demon that we all (imo) have ...self sabotage.

Boy I thought I was a huge quack..... I feel the same way... I woke up from surgery (12/17) and felt my stomach and thought damn it's still there they didn't cut it off..... :eek: perceptions will change and the weight will come off.... for all of us!

I went to a support group meeting last night. it was great people from many steps on the road and some of us newbies. People had their before pictures and fat clothes with them. it was very inspiring to see them in the group.

This is exactly what my doctor addressed with me at the post-op visit this morning. He said it's typical to see a big loss the first couple of weeks and then for it to kind of plateau or even bounce back a little. He said it was fluctuations in the Water our bodies hold, and that to please not get stressed out about it. That makes sense to me ... except the not getting stressed about it part. I AM stress. :rolleyes: We'll get there though. :)

Hey...I'm glad I'm not the only one beating myself up. I've only been banded for two weeks and I'm ready for something to happen. I saw my Dr. last Friday and he said that most people lose most of their weight from 3-18 months. I can't imagine waiting 2 1/2 more months. I go back on the 25th. I'm praying for a fill, but I think I'm going to be disappointed. I'm starting to feel very hungry and a protien shake isn't doing the trick. I can't wait for my support group. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm on purees and I'm kinda sick of them. I've tried a few things like overcooked carrots, etc. I know I need to be patient, but I've been big for so long that I'm just mentally ready for success. Thanks for listening.

Wow! I could have written that post! I was banded on the 18th and haven't lost a thing since the 26th. Well, I've lost and gained the same 2 pounds about 10 times... but that doesn't count. :-)

It's helpful reading all of these posts... but I still want that dang scale to move! I refuse to gain my current loss back, so I'm counting calories, watching my Protein and striving for all of my Fluid. I figure my body will eventually catch up with itself... but it still doesn't keep me from being a bit bummed.

Hang in there and I'll hang with you!

Thanks for all the posts. I feel much better knowing that I am not alone with these goofy thoughts.

Take care and let's keep communicating about it because it sure helped me.

It's hard when the scale doesn't move. Mine has been sitting i the same place for almost two weeks. I'm waiting for it to go up as TOM gets closer to arrival. I really don't know why while they are in there they can't suck some of that fat out. I was so disappointed after surgery when I was bigger than I went in. I know it was swelling but dangit, I should have been thin by then, right??

It does start to come off, but it is slow. I look at the scale and see NOTHING happening. However, I do look in the mirror and see some changes. It really helped to take some pics and compare them. It does show that even though I'm not "losing" I'm changing.

Oh...and I think most of my "loss" has been in my feet. My shoes don't fit very well anymore! I didn't do this to have skinny FEET!!!!

Keep positive! This will happen!

Steph

Ditto! I want to be skinny today! And like some of you, I lost weight pre and immediately post op, but have been just sitting at the same weight for nearly two weeks. I get my first fill next week, so maybe that will help. But I'm eating between 1000 - 1400 calories and most of that is the Protein that I have to get in. I really don't know how I'm going to cut down much more and still meet my protein requirements.

Yep, doing the same thing. I lost 12 lbs pre-op and 10 the week after surgery. Been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs since. scale isn't cooperating but DH says he can see the difference. My 4 yr old son says, 'Mom, you are still fat, just not as fat as you used to be!' (in that sooo earnest 4 yr old voice). LOL

I am only a few weeks banded and not getting on the scale. I know for the first month you are in the healing phase, so the weight doesn't matter.

My nephew(he's 7) saw me the day before the surgery and the day I came home, and he said this "Aunt Christine you don't look skinny. I said why would you think I would come home skinny? He said, I thought they were going to cut the fat off you." I was hysterical laughing, and it hurt my incisions.

But that put it into perspective. What I did is not a short term fix, its a long term process. So don't weigh yourself everyday, and don't sweat over the weight. You know if you follow a plan, the pounds will come off. So stay positive.

I thought it was just me! I gained like 10 lbs the day after surgery. I have lost that and maybe 5 lbs but that is it. I am going on week 4 post surgery. When people are reporting thier huge post surgery losses do you think they include that gained in swelling amount? That would make my weight loss a lot more impressive! LOL. I can tell my middle is still kind of swollen because when I put jeans on the other day are loose every where but the waist they are tighter than when I weighed more. What is a girl to do? Wait for restriction I guess.

MileHigh