Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Long2Bthin, I LOVE chocolate, especially good dark chocolate. In fact, I love most food, salty, sweet, bland, crunchy, chewy, soft. That's why I need this surgery. I go Thursday for my pre-op and the dr. will give me a surgery date plus a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I go day to day from last meal syndrome to wanting to get a good start on my losing. I started Water aerobics but I have been having problems with the treadmill walking as my lower back is giving me fits. I do not want to take too much Aleve and mess up my stomach, so I take my exercise day to day also. The water does not hurt my back.

Janet, I love reading about Peter & Rina Decker. The Jewish rituals fascinate me. I too had a Jewish girlfriend when I was young. I lived in the Quad Cities, Bettendorf, IA, and she would go to Hebrew school at the temple in Moline, IL, after grammar school. I went to temple with her sometimes, but of course I remember the wonderful Kosher food the most. Of course I am Episcopalian, so love the beauty of ritual.

A couple of other authors I really like are Maeve Binchy and Amy Tan. mudhouse sabbath by Lauren F. Winner is also excellent. She tries to reconcile Judaism and Christianity after becoming a convert to Christianity. It is very short and a good read.

Edited by BeverlyDiane

Happy One Month Aniversary! You really have lost alot of weight in one month. How many calories are you taking in a day and how much exercise? My band date is July 16th and this liquid diet is tough.:thumbup:

I haven't posted much because I have been busy getting ready for my son's wedding. I just finished making 12 necklaces and 12 pairs of earrings for all the bridesmaids ( yes there are 12). I love to make jewelry so this was a fun project. I used pearls and Sarwarski crystals. It is good therapy to keep from eating too. I haven't lost as much as others but I have always been slow at weight loss. I was banded on May 12th and have just lost 25 lbs. I have dropped 2 dress sizes though so that is good. I'll have more time to post after the wedding. Best Wishes, Becky

Hi fifties group. I have been posting on Janets mentor thread so haven't been here as much. I am still on mushies for two more weeks but so far so good. I will not weigh again until Wednesday so don't know if I lost this week or not. can't wait to see. Indio, did I read that you get stuck on Watermelon. How so? Isn't that like a mushie? How will the Dr. know how much to put in on my first fill and how will he know if I need one or not? I got my ticker but I don't know where to paste it to. Can anyone help with that. Anyway it sounds as if everyone is going along okay. I don't know what to eat for mushies exactly. Got any good ideas. Will write later

Beckyo:tt2:

I was just banded on June 27th. This liquid diet is tuff!! I am very hungry most of the time. I made it thru the 4th of July without too much cheating. I ate 3 pieces of popcorn chicken (3 little pieces and chewed them very well). My dietician said I could have cottage cheese, but to chew it well. She also said I can have mashed potatoes and gravy. I am really struggling with the liquid diet. I didn't realize you don't get a fill for the first 6 weeks. So far I have maybe lost a pound. I do not see me loosing any weight without a fill. I feel almost no restriction at all. I am craving Mexican food. I seriously considered getting chips and salsa and just letting the chips sit in the salsa and get mushy. At this point I even thought about just drinking some salsa. I go in the bedroom while others in my house eat but I can still smell it. I am really really struggling with this liquid diet.

I am getting desperate.

I am afraid I am not going to succeed; I haven't loss any weight yet.

My meals are cream of wheat, malt o' meal, Soup, soup, soup, Tomato juice, applesauce, ice cream (only a little), yogurt, cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes.

Any ideas how to make thru the first six weeks on a liquid diet with no band fill????

I am getting desperate! :):thumbup::frown:

I was just banded on June 27th. This liquid diet is tuff!! I am very hungry most of the time. I made it thru the 4th of July without too much cheating. I ate 3 pieces of popcorn chicken (3 little pieces and chewed them very well). My dietician said I could have cottage cheese, but to chew it well. She also said I can have mashed potatoes and gravy. I am really struggling with the liquid diet. I didn't realize you don't get a fill for the first 6 weeks. So far I have maybe lost a pound. I do not see me loosing any weight without a fill. I feel almost no restriction at all. I am craving Mexican food. I seriously considered getting chips and salsa and just letting the chips sit in the salsa and get mushy. At this point I even thought about just drinking some salsa. I go in the bedroom while others in my house eat but I can still smell it. I am really really struggling with this liquid diet.

I am getting desperate.

My meals are cream of wheat, malt o' meal, Soup, soup, soup, Tomato juice, applesauce, ice cream (only a little), yogurt, cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes.

Any ideas how to make thru the first six weeks on a liquid diet with no band fill????

I am getting desperate! :):thumbup::frown:

How about some fat free refried Beans with a little salsa on top, maybe even a little cheese??

Whew! I just spent the past few days with a major stomach bug.... The good news is, I finally lost the rest of the weight I put on not long ago and am back to 289. Between the barfing and the gas and the fever, it was not a fun way to go. I know, TMI! LOL!

ElaineC: try tracking everything you eat on Fitday.com or dailyplate.com they help me keep track of Protein and calories (I'm still on mushies, too). Also, try to drink lots of Water, as Soup has a lot of salt in it and can make you retain water (at least it does that to me).

Good luck everyone. It is so nice to be able to read all your posts again. You are all helping me stay with this, as I haven't been driving an hour and a half to my doctor's support group (not with gas over $4/gallon!). You are a great support group!

Nancy

ElaineC, hi hope you are doing better on liquids. Are you getting in enough Protein? That protein for me helps me stay full very well. Also, I found that since I don't eat sugars I am way less hungry. I am on mushies and am not terribly hungry but I do try and follow the rules ( no drinking before or after meals and getting in my protein. I just can't think of many mushies to eat. I find that when I eat something a little more on the solid side I stay fuller longer (like potatoes or oatmeal). This is just my experience. Good luck to you. Just keep trying.

Beckyo:thumbup:

I am getting desperate.

I am getting desperate! :P:):(

Elaine - Yes this is hard - I know it is - I have been where you are at but You gotta follow your doctors orders - No food you are healing and you can hurt your band (slip) by eating.. You are just a week out and most docs still have us on full liquids - but sounds like you can have mushies already (cottage cheese - mashed potatoes) ??

Phyl made a great suggestion - ff refried Beans with salsa and little cheese if you are allowed mushies - go look at the food thread to get ideas of diff foods you can eat.

Make homemade sioups - I make a pot of pinto beans - then let them cool and then run it thru the blender - cream of pinto bean soup - you can do this with any soup you make - I find that homemade stuff was more satisfing that the canned stuff.

You gotta realize that the band is only a tool and not the magic cure all to our issues with food - you have to make a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating - and physical activity - Your band won't be making your food choices only you can do that

You can do this - you really can - It's hard at time - but even with property restriction it's still work and changing of habits

excellant idea. I am going to the store for some Beans, and cheese!!

Thanks a billion. That should help me thru my mexican cravings

You guys are the best! Thanks for the info and support. I really do appreciate it.

:biggrin2:

What kind of Protein are you guys using? What do you mix it with?

I use Designer whey. I like the vanilla, but it also comes in strawberry and chocolate. I shake it up with skim plus milk.

Maybe someone can help me with a problem I've been having: I need to take two pills in the a.m. One is the size of an aspirin and the other slightly larger. I cut both in half. About 30 min later I have burning pain in my center chest, between the breasts. It lasts about 45 min to 1 hour. It happens whether or not I have food in my stomach. These are not medications that can be made into liquid form or chewables. Does anyone else have the same problem and/or a suggestion??????:)

pi txlady –There are different types of bands that a surgeon can use. There are different ways of doing lap band surgery. And there are different ideas/philosophies out there in the lap band medical community about what are the best insertion and healing strategies. Unfortunately, there are also different levels of experience/training but even among those who are highly trained – there is plenty of room for differing methods. In addition, each patient may have very specific needs so 1 surgeon could advise different things to different patients. Newly banded pts begin with liquids or very soft foods right after surgery and then work up to full solid food diets. Hopefully their surgeons will provide them with detailed written instructions regarding which liquids and foods they can have and for what length of time. As Janet has already pointed out – it is best that people understand and follow their own MDs instructions. The thing about the liquid and “mushie” (soft food) stage is that people often get hunger or just plain sick of the limited choices. But putting too much food or the wrong food in your stomach at this time can undermine proper healing of your stomach for various reasons. You will see some people on the board that will disregard the MDs instructions and go out and eat whatever they want but they are really taking a risk for band complication in the near or distant future.

ElaineC---did your MD give you a booklet or refer you to a list of liquids or soft foods?

If not—maybe you want to call her/his office and make sure they get very specific. They get a lot of money for this and they should be very available and supportive to your after care needs. We are very happy to help too but you want to understand what your surgeon feels is important for what he did in your surgery.