Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Etymology

The word "biscotti" (pronounced /bɪˈskɒti/, Italian pronunciation: [bisˈkɔtti]) in Italian is the plural form of biscotto and applies to any type of biscuit (in the UK sense of a very dry, hard cookie or cracker). The word originates from the medieval Latin word biscoctus, meaning "twice-cooked/baked": it defined oven baked goods that were baked twice, so they were very dry and could be stored for long periods of time. Pliny the Elder boasted that such goods would be edible for centuries. Such nonperishable food was particularly useful during journeys and wars, and twice baked breads were a staple food of the Roman Legions.[4] Through Middle French, the word was imported into the English language as "biscuit", although in English as in Italian "biscuit" does not refer specifically to a twice-baked cookie.

In North America, where "biscuit" has taken on other meanings, twice-baked Cookies are known as biscotti. In Tuscany, and to some extent also in North America, these Cookies are known as cantuccini ("little nooks"). In Italy they are also known widely as biscotti di Prato. In Italy and Spain, yet another name for these cookies is carquinyoli. In Italy, carquinyoli (plural) are typical of Sardinia and Sicily. In Spain, carquinyoli (singular; plural carquinyolis) with whole or sliced[5] almonds are typical of Catalonia and also associated with the regions of Aragon. In Batea, La Fatarella, and Prat de Comte, all inland municipalities of Catalonia, in the Terra Alta they are also called carquinyols.[6] Carquinyolis are traditional also in some inland towns in Valencia, where they are called rosegons or rosegós.[7] In Minorca, carquinyols are square shaped and do not include whole almonds.

One Catalan food writer states that carquinyoli is derived from the French croquignole.[7] Croquignole, another name for these biscotti, is a French word of Germanic origin.

[edit] Form

Biscotti are twice-baked cookies, often containing nuts or spices. Almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, and pine nuts are popular choices. Popular spices include anise and cinnamon (used separately).

Do I need to say more :0) xoxoxox

Okay... so here's the deal... I was out by myself in DHS, on my way to a Red Hats meeting, but I hadn't had lunch yet. So, where I really wanted to go was McDonald's... for a 1/4 pounder, or a chicken snack wrap.. but I also wanted a latte at Starbucks... so I decided to go with the 150 calorie Biscotti with my latte instead of going to McD's and spending a lot more calories. I had checked out the calories on the vanilla/almond biscotti when I was at Starbucks earlier in the week. So.... shoot me already!!

14_6_12.gif

Glad to hear that I am not too old for this, and happy to see the over 50 group. My date is Jan 21st. I am very excited!

Debbie

Debbie

Nope gf you aren't too old - I was 52 when banded. The best thing I have ever done - feel 10 yrs younger - have 100% more energy. Loving life !!!

OLD!!??? I was 57 when I was banded and now I'm 35!!!!!

Cookies? bread? Uh! I can do a LITTLE but if I am not very careful my band will kick my butt --- and that is what saves me. Can't do much clams or lobster. I think I'd be concerned if I couldn't do veggies or salad or most meats.

Phyllser---but can you get McDonald's hamburger down without a problem? I used to stop and just get the hamburger and toss out the bun when I was doing low carb before the band. It worked well (the hamburger -- not sustained weight loss). But AFTER the band I have tried 4 times at different points to just eat their hamburger w/o rolls. Each and every time I got very serious PBing with just a small bite! I don't know what in the world they put in that meat but I suspect it isn't all meat.< /p>

Phyllser---but can you get McDonald's hamburger down without a problem? I used to stop and just get the hamburger and toss out the bun when I was doing low carb before the band. It worked well (the hamburger -- not sustained weight loss). But AFTER the band I have tried 4 times at different points to just eat their hamburger w/o rolls. Each and every time I got very serious PBing with just a small bite! I don't know what in the world they put in that meat but I suspect it isn't all meat.< /div>

I got one down a couple of months ago but I ate it very slowly and very tiny bites. It was not a smart thing to do, and I wouldn't have bought the McD's burger, but it DID cross my mind because I REALLY wanted one!! I probably would've tossed at least half the bun.

12_12_11.gif

I can do the hamburger patty off a McD's no problem, can't do the bun though. however, I much prefer the patty at Wendy's. LOL I get the double stack no cheese, take off the bun and have 2 meat patties for $1 and usually can't finish that. I don't do this often but when the craving hits, YUM!!

I agree with a previous poster, I was in my 50's when I got banded but now I am 35!! I feel so much younger and better now! BEST thing I ever did, just wish I had done it sooner.

Well I'm thrilled that now at age 50 and 40 lbs lighter nothing can and should stop me from doing what I want to do in this world! But with a more conscious wiser smarter brain (than when I was in my 20/30s I can take yoga w/o worry about all that excess stomach getting in my way! I feel so much younger. I don't have to worry about anything except if I choose to. Heres to making positive changes!

Okay... so here's the deal... I was out by myself in DHS, on my way to a Red Hats meeting, but I hadn't had lunch yet. So, where I really wanted to go was McDonald's... for a 1/4 pounder, or a chicken snack wrap.. but I also wanted a latte at Starbucks... so I decided to go with the 150 calorie biscotti with my latte instead of going to McD's and spending a lot more calories. I had checked out the calories on the vanilla/almond biscotti when I was at Starbucks earlier in the week. So.... shoot me already!!

14_6_12.gif

You know I am just pulling your leg GF !!!! I promise to stop (well for a minute anyway):blush::lol:

I can do the hamburger patty off a McD's no problem, can't do the bun though. however, I much prefer the patty at Wendy's. LOL I get the double stack no cheese, take off the bun and have 2 meat patties for $1 and usually can't finish that. I don't do this often but when the craving hits, YUM!!

I agree with a previous poster, I was in my 50's when I got banded but now I am 35!! I feel so much younger and better now! BEST thing I ever did, just wish I had done it sooner.

Great - I love what Dese said - Yep 35 !!!

I don't do much fast food never really have - never was a burger person (only homemade) but have been in airport which doesn't have much in selection of eating on the run except fast food - had bk burger - no bun..

Well I'm thrilled that now at age 50 and 40 lbs lighter nothing can and should stop me from doing what I want to do in this world! But with a more conscious wiser smarter brain (than when I was in my 20/30s I can take yoga w/o worry about all that excess stomach getting in my way! I feel so much younger. I don't have to worry about anything except if I choose to. Heres to making positive changes!

I agree - I love being 54 - I rather be 54 then 25 - Wouldn't want to grow up again - once was enough :0) - Heck I am in better shape at 54 than I was at 25 !!!

I'm feeling much younger and better, too. Go band.

If you are outside and need a quick fix.......

I run into the quick stores are reach for a little yogart (under 100 calories)

but how about WENDYS CHILI since it would be moist ;))

Shortgal - Hi !!!! How you doing ???

Wendy's is my go-to food because I'm in a different location every day and almost impossible to take any hot food with me. A small chili, no cheese, no onions, no crackers, one packet of hot sauce and you're around 200 calories...too much sodium...and I ask them to try to put in more of the liquid than Beans. They frown at me but oh, well.

Trisha

Never been a FF eater - I work in an office - I make lunch on Sunday nite and have it all week - or left overs from the night before.

I go out to lunch w/gf every couple of weeks - chineese or salad someplace - once in a great while Mexican - but I can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a taco - and since I rarely eat out - it's my treat..

We have El Pollo Loco - here in Cali - roasted chicken - will get that to in a rush....

Hi Janet!!!

I'm doing very well. Can't lose any more weight without the help of a band or other restriction method, but I am maintaining and I'll take that!

Most of the year (winter's tough here in CT) I walk, a LOT. 3.5 to 5 miles at a time and at least four times a week, sometimes more if the weather cooperates and that has made a big difference in helping me maintain.

It will always be a struggle, but I see even with a band many people have the same struggle, so I guess I have to accept that it will always be hard work.

Edited by shortgal

Hi Janet!!!

I'm doing very well. Can't lose any more weight without the help of a band or other restriction method, but I am maintaining and I'll take that!

Most of the year (winter's tough here in CT) I walk, a LOT. 3.5 to 5 miles at a time and at least four times a week, sometimes more if the weather cooperates and that has made a big difference in helping my maintain.

It will always be a struggle, but I see even with a band many people have the same struggle, so I guess I have to accept that it will always be hard work.

Well you are maintaining and that's FANTASTIC !!! - I have a 2nd Cousin who lives in Enfield CT - ya the SNOW.... No thank you I'll take my heat :0).

Yep gf even with the band it's a struggle - This Christmas the sweet demon hit me - well only for 4 days - but it's hard cuz as we know the stuff that's bad for you slips right on threw the band - and 4 oz of Protein isn't the food we crave :0)

Well I saw you were reading the thread - so wanted to say HI !!!

Glad all is well..

I'm good - maintaining - trying to figure out if I need a head fill or just a tweek on my band :0) -

Hugs & love Janet

Yeah, I still check a few threads ON LBT every now and then.

Holidays are tough for everyone, band or no band. Plenty of times, I know for sure I have head hunger and not "real" hunger.

I'm working on my "head" for sure. All people with addictions can slide back into it, so I try to be vigilant. I'm a binge type. I can be good for a long time and then boom, I hit a binge. Then I have to work hard to get it off. Still way harder to get it off, than keep it off, so I remind myself of that.

Luckily, I love the walking and miss it when I can't go, so I don't worry about losing the momentum of it.

Thanks for saying Hi and glad you're doing well.

Edited by shortgal