Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

100 POUNDS GONE TODAY!!!!!:(:thumbup::thumbup:

Yea Orea!!! Just had to come post this morning when I saw the news.

Iv been stuck at the same weight 165 - 166 lbs for 10 days now. Im thinking of pretending I am getting a fill today. I always lose a couple of pounds when I get a fill and dont eat anything but liquid Protein Shakes for a day. Im only down 7 lbs in about 6 - 7 weeks, so going to shake it up today. I had gotten some 100 calorie Snacks, the chocolate box from sensible portions and 100 calorie popcorn, and having those at night whereas I was just having skim milk and that probably is slowing me down too.

I know 10 days isnt that long not to lose anything, but you would think with all the walking I would lose, so gotta push today and see if that helps. Hope I can be strong all day, no snacking. I got a size 12 cruise dress for July I gotta get myself into.

I still dont think I am overfull, or Id have other symptoms other times, than that reflux reaction on my cruise. I had some reflux before my surgery too. I think it could have just been a reaction to all that fruit and different foods that set it off. Im always hungry again, to the point I feel like I could use another fill in fact. Reflux may be a sign your band is too tight, but it isnt always the case imo. I think with food like fresh pineapple its hard for me to really chew up well.

PS another thought to why I had a reaction on my cruise. I am used to eating slowly on my own, and had dinner with others I didnt know and was trying to rush thru eating salad and fruit plates and Entrees and couldnt keep up eating as fast as the others, so I wasnt chewing my food up well either Im betting. Maybe not chewing could cause reflux?

Im just nervous to get another fill after that episode, so going to hold off for a while. Its been 3 months today since my last fill and I weighed 189 then, so down over 20 lbs, so I would think losing that much also makes the restriction less.

How much do you guys lose before you decide to go in and get another fill, do any of you have a specific lb loss, like ok Im going to wait until Im down 30 lbs and go in?

Congratulations Orea!

Flowers, listen to Katy. Being too tight is not a good thing.

If you don't think you're too tight, that's fine. But if you are experiencing any problems, talk to your dr. There are too many people posting on this board that their band eroded their stomach to a dangerous point.

I know everyone keeps posting that Im too tight, and just dont know it.

I still dont think so. As I just posted, maybe not chewing up my food well caused the acid indigestion to start and I didnt get after it and the reflux just got worse all week. Our waiter on the cruise at dinner was always serving us way last because we always had someone getting to the table at least 10 minutes late, then we were not served until 20 minutes past everyone else. I was always having to push my fruit aside and trying to eat it with the entree to shovel it in. I was a slow eater before the band, and with the band Im slow with fruit especially, hard to chew it up very well.

I know my fill doctor uses fluro and barium swallow and doesnt get me very tight on fills, she refuses to get you really tight. I really dont think having one episode for a few weeks of reflux proves Im too tight, sorry but I still dont think thats the issue. It could have been brought on because I have a band and have to eat different and had problems on my cruise, so the band started the issue, but not every reflux issue means the person is too tight. Remember Iv seen myself on fluro. But it did scare me that it took several weeks after I got back and started to take something for the acid in my stomach .... so Ill wait for my next fill.

Now that Im back to eating on my own and not having to rush thru meals, I have no problems as before the episode. No other symptoms, just that one time.

Thanks so much for your info, it's really helpful to know you guys are out there to guide the rest of us who are new to this. XOXOXO

PJ

You promised me you would exercise girl and make good food choice !!! Come on now .... You can do this...

I haven't had talipa lately - I eat catfish 99.9% of the time or scallop or shrimp.. But if you don't like fish don't eat it - do chicken and just a little beef.

WooHoo...I lost the 2 lbs I had gained. Kept track of the calories and doing my walking tape. I hope to be in ONDERLAND next weekend, 3 more lbs.

Hugs !! Pj

Thanks ,Oregondaisy, your info was really great. It's help like this that I'm looking for !

Are you girls tired of looking at my butt? I guess I should change the picture, what ya think?

I think your butt is adorable (and SKINNY!) I guess it's your choice!

Love you, GF!!!:(

I.

I know my fill doctor uses fluro and barium swallow and doesnt get me very tight on fills, she refuses to get you really tight. I really dont think having one episode for a few weeks of reflux proves Im too tight, sorry but I still dont think thats the issue. It could have been brought on because I have a band and have to eat different and had problems on my cruise, so the band started the issue, but not every reflux issue means the person is too tight. Remember Iv seen myself on fluro. But it did scare me that it took several weeks after I got back and started to take something for the acid in my stomach .... so Ill wait for my next fill.

Flowers, I think you are right. My doctor also uses the fluro and he never wants me too tight. His message to me is if I am losing 1-2 pounds per week average (sometimes I go a week without losing and then lose 3 lbs in one day), he says I do not need a fill.

The only time I had reflux since my surgery was when I was really hungry (I have learned to not do that) went out to eat with friends and had Mexican food (my favorite). I ate too fast, took too big bites and didn't chew as I was trying to talk. At home I use to watch and take small bites every 1 min. I know it is crazy, but that is the way I have to do it!

I think we all know our bodies best. :(

Banded 9/29/2008

Lost as of today-58 lbs!

1-2 pounds a week is the normal and expected weight loss with the band. But if you are like me, your body pauses for several weeks, then drops it fast for a bit.

I don't think your amount of weight loss has anything to do with when or whether to schedule a fill. For me, it is strictly about am I comfortable, am I struggling with hunger soon after my meal, do I have the urge to graze. Am I losing 1-2 pounds a week over time. Talk to your doctor and decide with him or her.

Good luck!

Orea

Yea Orea!!! Just had to come post this morning when I saw the news.

Iv been stuck at the same weight 165 - 166 lbs for 10 days now. Im thinking of pretending I am getting a fill today. I always lose a couple of pounds when I get a fill and dont eat anything but liquid Protein Shakes for a day. Im only down 7 lbs in about 6 - 7 weeks, so going to shake it up today. I had gotten some 100 calorie Snacks, the chocolate box from sensible portions and 100 calorie popcorn, and having those at night whereas I was just having skim milk and that probably is slowing me down too.

I know 10 days isnt that long not to lose anything, but you would think with all the walking I would lose, so gotta push today and see if that helps. Hope I can be strong all day, no snacking. I got a size 12 cruise dress for July I gotta get myself into.

I still dont think I am overfull, or Id have other symptoms other times, than that reflux reaction on my cruise. I had some reflux before my surgery too. I think it could have just been a reaction to all that fruit and different foods that set it off. Im always hungry again, to the point I feel like I could use another fill in fact. Reflux may be a sign your band is too tight, but it isnt always the case imo. I think with food like fresh pineapple its hard for me to really chew up well.

PS another thought to why I had a reaction on my cruise. I am used to eating slowly on my own, and had dinner with others I didnt know and was trying to rush thru eating salad and fruit plates and entrees and couldnt keep up eating as fast as the others, so I wasnt chewing my food up well either Im betting. Maybe not chewing could cause reflux?

Im just nervous to get another fill after that episode, so going to hold off for a while. Its been 3 months today since my last fill and I weighed 189 then, so down over 20 lbs, so I would think losing that much also makes the restriction less.

How much do you guys lose before you decide to go in and get another fill, do any of you have a specific lb loss, like ok Im going to wait until Im down 30 lbs and go in?

PJ - I wonder if you are getting enough Protein in the morning? Slim-Fast is liquid and goes right through, doing nothing to keep you full. Many of the Smart Ones are really more of a mushie food, and also will not keep you full. I don't know what the protein content of Slim-Fast is, and it varies with the Smart Ones, but if they are going right through you won't feel full very long, if at all. Try having a more solid protein - about 3 oz of it - at each meal. That will take a while to work through the pouch to the stomach and you should feel more satisfied. I find that if I don't have enough protein in the morning I will be wanting to graze all day, even tho I am having plenty of protein at lunch and dinner. Those days drive me crazy. Try low fat deli meats, eggs (scrambled or hard boiled), low fat cheese, etc.

Just my 2 cents - and as we move to hyper-inflation levels it will be worth even less....

Yes, you really can't go by how fast you're losing to figure out if you need a fill. You can tell if you have restriction.

If you have good restriction, you have to eat slowly and chew very well. The only person that can judge if you need a fill is yourself. I can tell by the way my food is going down if I need a fill. Like right now, I can eat anything I want and hardly chew. It's like I don't have a band at all. I am getting a tiny one MOnday, because I don't want to go back to throwing up. If I start throwing up with an itty bitty fill, I am going to have my band removed and get a sleeve.

The purpose of the band is not restriction nor to force you to change how you eat because you'll barf. The purpose is to dim the appetite so you can more easily make wise choices and eat less. The rest is up to you.

Orea, congrats on losing 100 lbs!!!!

Okay, question, with all this talk about reflux, what exactly does that feel like? I woke up in the night with a weird cough type sensation and a sortta burning sensation in the back of my throat. i got up and coughed some and then started belching like crazy. Never happened before, is that reflux? We had gone out to a movie (again) and I had popcorn, wondering if that triggered it. I was sortta surprised that I could finish the small bag (never happened before) so was thinking of a fill on Monday at my appt. but now after all this reflux talk am not sure. Could it be because I ate too much?