Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I like this!

Hi there sixties buddies! Just found this thread. I turned 64 the end of Nov. I had my surgery last July.. 07/20/07 and I'm down a hair under 60 lb. so far. I've had three fills, the last one Oct.29. We are RV snowbirds spending the winter in Desert Hot Springs CA, so I'm hoping I can get by without a fill until we get back home (WA state) in April. So far I seem to still have pretty good restriction. I have arthritis in both knees and use a handicap scooter, so exercise is a problem, but here at the RV park we go to Water aerobics Mon-Fri mornings and that has been really helping. Keeps me moving and helps with the weight loss as well.

Hello all. I had my surgery April 10, 2007 when I was 59. I turned 60 in June. I have lost 60# so far and this surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself. My DH was banded May 22, 2007 when he was 61. 8 days later he turned 62. It's been a lifesaver for him too. He has lost 45#. We both have had 4 fills. I am at 2.8cc in my 4cc band and he is at 7 in his 10cc band. I can't say that it's been smooth sailing all the time, but since the holidays we have gotten on track and I'm feeling so good with lots of energy. Hope we all get to know each other better in here! All us old farts need to stick together!!

Hello, everyone,

I'm wondering what you all are doing for exercise. So far, I'm walking about a half hour with my dog every day. I have arthritis in my knees and that's about as much as I can do. I'm thinking of joining Curves and am wondering if any of you have tried it. I love to swim but forgot to ask my doctor when I can go back to it. Anyway, I really think I need to be doing something soon.

Kathy

Hello, everyone,

I'm wondering what you all are doing for exercise. So far, I'm walking about a half hour with my dog every day. I have arthritis in my knees and that's about as much as I can do. I'm thinking of joining Curves and am wondering if any of you have tried it. I love to swim but forgot to ask my doctor when I can go back to it. Anyway, I really think I need to be doing something soon.

Kathy

WATER AEROBICS... I love it!

I bought a recumbent bike, glider and elliptical machine. Our guest room is now a home gym! Plus I go to Curves too.

Hello, everyone,

Kathy

Hey Kathy,

I also have arthritis in my knees. I belonged to Curves for about 8 months, but it proved to be too much for my knees. Check with your orthopedic. Mine preferred that I use the eliptical and stationary bike.

But we are all different, so check with your doctor, he knows what is best for you.

Lord, I hate you people. I have only lost 40 pounds but have maintained it for 2 years. Okay, two and a half years. I'm glad to know there are more bandsters who are 60. I turned 60 about 6 months ago and I'm not enjoying it. I don't want to exercise. I don't want to pretend I'm twenty. I'm 60 and grouchy because I have a bad back and it's been killing me. I also take care of my mother who is 87 1/2 and doesn't appear to be dying yet. I think a person who is 60 ought not to have to worry about what one's mother thinks. Clearly I'm grouchy, but I got to the eldercare website and they are all such wonderful people that I feel like a heel. I'm glad this site is here so I can gripe. I have to stay up most of the night to get some time alone. Tonight, Mother went to bed at midnight. Lord, will I ever get some sleep? I apologize, but I'm grumpy.

How great to have our own place!

I had my surgery November 9, 2007, and have been almost giddy with happiness ever since! In the first three weeks, I twice had to reduce the amount of insulin I take (after checking with surgeon and diabetes doc, of course). I've lost 32 pounds in two months, not counting the 3 or 4 I lost taking the magnesium stuff the day before surgery. Not terrifically speedy, but so much better than I have done in a long, long time.

Where did everybody get those nifty trackers?

Helo new friends. I am 66 yo. I think young, act young, but my old hips know I'm not getting any younger. I finally decided to do something about the weight that I have lost about a 100 times only to see it reapear again. Looks like I be around a while my dm just made 95 yo. I have scheduled lap band surgery 1/21/08. Wish me luck.

I'm 64 and am getting banded on 1/17. I nearly did this 25 years ago, but morbidity rates were scary then. So, I just gave up and ballooned up. I've had great results with pre-op weight loss, mainly because I have finally taken charge of the situation and hit the exercise hard. Took me a long time to finally get this going and in the meantime I've had two back surgeries; I've got arthritis, degenerative disc disease, a bad knee, bad ankle and am tired of hurting. Sure hope getting the lard off will help with the discomforts of aging. I'll check back in after banding.

Good luck to all of you.

Hi All

I'm 65 and was banded on 9//5/07 by Dr Ortiz in Tijuana MX. I have had 2 fills and up until this morning had not exdperienced any restriciton at all. I hope it continues cause for the last month I have gained and lost the same 2 lbs a dozen times. My highest weight was 330 and I was 303 at op time. Currently I am 265. I am glad I did this because last summer I couldn't do 5 miniutes on the treadmill and now I can do 30. I try to do it everyday but I have fibromyalgia so sometimes it is too much-but I am in agreement with everyone that exercise is key. We just have to do what we can. I'm glad we're here to support each other.

Nance

To Bitteroldhag, You are a hoot! I can totally relate to the Mother stuff. Mine is gone now but she weighed 85# most of her life and was always saying "if you would just eat like I eat you wouldn't have a weight problem". Now I live with my daughter. I read your note to her and told her she would be a bitter old hag soon from taking care of me. She said "you better learn how to take care of yourself".

So don't apologize, keep grumping. I love it.

I just love this group! It's so nice to be with others that understand about the aches and pains and lack of energy and need to be more mobile. Everybody keep posting and cheering each other on.

Hi everybody! What a great thread!! I was banded November 14, 2006 and as of late last month I'm down 110 pounds. 80 to go. It's slow going but entirely worth the trip! Good luck to all!!