Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will the hurdles ever end???

Hi all. I really need some support right now. I swear it feels like I have been doing this for years, when it has really only been months. But still, months! It seems like every time I finish one requirement, I have 5 more. Initial seminar, sleep study, psych eval, will it ever end??? Even though my insurance covers the surgery, I feel like it is all still bleeding my wallet, and my spirit, dry. $300 for the administrative fee for the surgeons office, $110 for the psych eval, $200 for the nutritionist....

I know this is not a huge amount of money for most people, but it is huge for me. I just want the surgery, NEED the surgery! I have Type II Diabetes, sleep apnea, PCOS, GERD, major joint pain, you name it I have it. And I am 325 lbs. I don't want to die at 33, I just dont. How many hurdles do I have to jump through? I feel like a puppet, going from doctor to doctor. Co-pays every time. Sorry, I really don't even think that there is a point to this post, just venting. Someone tell me, is there an end? Will I ever be able to just have the surgery and get healthy, get myself back? I know that it isn't a cure-all, but it is a tool that I need to save my life. ARRRRRGGGGGGG! Thanks for listening to my rant, I feel a little better now. Just a little........

Yes, there are a lot of hurdles. What do you have to do next? It sounds like you are very very close.

I have to schedule my nutrisionist visits next week, and I attend my support group on Monday. I think that is actually it except for the pre-op testing. I am just afraid that as soon as I complete this stuff, there will be something else! It seems like there always is......

It sounds like you are almost there! Yes...it's a PAIN IN THE BOOTY to jump through all the hoops and that is a lot of money for EVERYONE! BUT, keep in mind that soon you forget all that stuff because you will be enjoying life with your band! Hang in there! You're almost there!!! YAHOO!!!!!

I have Type II Diabetes, sleep apnea, PCOS, GERD, major joint pain, you name it I have it. And I am 325 lbs. I don't want to die at 33

Yes, there are some hurdles, but your answer is above. From the time of my initial consult to date my surgery was approved it was a little less than 2 months and cost me about $700 in co-pays. I think it's well worth it.

Hang in there.

Yes, the PRE-OP stuff ends but then you'll start your POST-OP life of periodic bloodwork, fills and follow-up appointments then trips to the gym etc., etc.

But, what are you getting in return????? A chance for a NEW LIFE and a chance to finally get that weight off.

It's OK to vent and I agree with you...LOTS OF MONEY AND LOTS OF TIME but just get into the mindset of I'm going to do whatever it takes because this is important. And, you'll start to see that this is all part of a life-changing process that I doubt you'll regret so it's worth the effort.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy this stage in your life. It should be exciting!

wow.. I never stopped to think of all the money I've spent so far to just get me to this point. (I'm done with all my requirements that Aenta is asking for my request should be submitted any day) Now that I read your post I calculated every penny and holy cow! God I hope they approve this.

Good Luck to you and have faith! I know in my heart this is all worth it.

I know it feels overwhelming and I probably made a few similar posts but you'll get there!

I kept track of everything and including the 6 month doctor supervised diet, I had 19 appointments and 2 sleep studies. Spending about $1500 in deductibles/co-pays.

... But my insurance paid for everything else and here I am months later - down over 75lbs - all that pre-op stuff feels like it was a life time ago.

Good luck!

At the seminar, my Bariatric Center said a girl would be calling with my 7 appointments-- I almost freaked!! Yep, 3 hospital tests, psych eval with psychiatrist, two visits to the pulmonologist, one to the cardiologist (plus the stress test back at the hospital!)--then I had to schedule my six monthly visits to the nutritionist my insurance company required.

Mix in two visits to my PCP trying to get my letter, and then another complete battery of tests at the hospital before surgery.

Your story, as Jack so aptly stated, is OUR story. And yes, the co-pays (PTL for insurance) were wretched--in a year when gasoline is at a premium, the Bariatric Center is 50 miles from home, with the majority of the doctors at least that. And yet none of it will be enough to claim on the income tax... :think

My final words to you are: IT IS SO WORTH IT!!! :)

i know the feeling. i have been to the doctor 6 times. so thats 6 co-pays. and also it was 165 for the first visit with dr.miles, my band doctor. now i got to the 16th to set up a date for my sleep study. and i not sure how much that will be. then after that i got set up a time to visit for the psych eval. and i also got 2 more times to see my doctor so more co-pays.

but i look at it like this. spend a some money now to make it better for a long time.

I am scheduled for my seminar and doc's appt this week ... but the doc's office made it very clear that all the visits and testing was included in the cost, which is fully covered by the insurance company, with the exception of a one time $300 co-pay.

My insurance company is Oxford, which I understand to be a bansters best friend.

I wish you luck ... just keep your eye on the prize!

I am scheduled for my seminar and doc's appt this week ... but the doc's office made it very clear that all the visits and testing was included in the cost, which is fully covered by the insurance company, with the exception of a one time $300 co-pay.

My insurance company is Oxford, which I understand to be a bansters best friend.

I wish you luck ... just keep your eye on the prize!

HATING YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!

Lol, not really. Okay, maybe just a lil. Good luck!!!!!

I paid for all of that and then paid for the surgery. So, in addition to all that you paid, I paid that plus $10,000.00

It will be worth it in the end. If your insurance covers it, the prize is

coming soon.